Caste: Bhumihar Brahmin
Hometown: Barahiya, Lakhisarai District, Bihar
Age: 66 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet inches- 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• Elected as a member of the Bihar Legislative Council in 2002
• Appointed as the Co-operative Minister of Bihar in the Nitish Kumar government
• Appointed as the Minister of Animal Husbandry and Fisheries Resource Development of Bihar
• Contested the 2014 Lok Sabha elections from the Nawada Constituency of Bihar and won
• Elected to the 16th Lok Sabha as an MP
• Appointed as the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises on 4 September 2017
• He contested the 2019 Lok Sabha elections from the Begusarai Constituency of Bihar against Kanhaiya Kumar.
• He won the 2019 General Elections with a margin of over 4 Lakh votes
• He was appointed as the Union Minister of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries in the Narendra Modi government on 31 May 2019
|Date of Birth||8 September 1952|
|Age (as in 2018)||66 Years|
|Birthplace||Barahiya, Lakhisarai District, Bihar|
|Hometown||Barahiya, Lakhisarai District, Bihar|
|School||Government school of Barahiya village, Bihar|
|College/University||Magadh University, Bodh Gaya, Bihar|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelors in Arts from Magadh University, Bodh Gaya, Bihar in 1971|
|Address||Resident of Barahiya, Lakhisarai District, Bihar|
• Rearing cattles
|Controversies||• In 2013, during the campaign for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, he announced in a rally that everyone against Narendra Modi should be sent to Pakistan. Congress demanded to cancel Singh's nomination and for his removal from the BJP.
• On 8 July 2014, Singh reported a burglary of jewellery and cash from his house worth Rs.50,000. The police nabbed the thief and recovered jewellery and cash worth Rs. 1.14 Crores. This caused a lot of debate in the Bihar Assembly as in Singh's affidavit to the Election Commission he had declared cash & jewellery assets of only Rs 1.4 lakhs.
• On 30 March 2015, he stated- "If Rajiv Gandhi had married a Nigerian lady and not a white-skinned woman, then would the Congress have accepted her leadership?". The statement led to a lot of people getting offended and criticized him heavily of racism and sexism. Many leaders termed his statements as shocking and of an insane person.
• In April 2016, he stated that the population should be controlled by ensuring people of all religions should have the same number of children.
• In October 2016, he urged Hindus to produce more children as the Muslim population was increasing rapidly, which is a threat to India.
• On 4 June 2019, he tweeted about Nitish Kumar's iftar party in a mosque. He said it would be great to see him organize a Navratri party with vegetarian food. He said that people go backwards on their religion but resort to show off when it comes to other religions.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Not Known|
|Wife/Spouse||Uma Sinha (Retired Teacher)|
Daughter- 1 (Name not known)
|Parents||Father- Ramavtaar Singh
Mother- Tara Devi
|Siblings||Brother- Jairaj Singh
|Car Collection||• Mahindra e20
• Tata Nano (2012 Model)
|Assets/Properties||Movable Assets: Rs. 81.36 Lacs
Cash: Rs. 1.74 Lacs
Bank Deposits: Rs. 67.92 Lacs
Jewellery: 15 gm Gold worth Rs. 20,000
Properties: Rs. 5.87 Crores
Agricultural land worth Rs. 5 Crores
Residential building in Anandpuri, Bihar worth Rs. 20 Lacs
Residential building in Barahiya village, Bihar worth Rs. 30 Lacs
3 other buildings worth Rs. 37 Lacs
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1 Lac + other allowances (as a Cabinet Minister)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 8.30 Crores (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Giriraj Singh
- Giriraj Singh is an Indian politician. He is from the BJP and is serving as the Union Minister of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries.
- He was removed as the Co-operative minister from Nitish Kumar’s cabinet when the JDU broke its alliance with the BJP in June 2013. 11 other BJP members were also removed from ministerial posts after the alliance was called off.
- He has submitted a research paper on the animal feed based on Morning Biomass. He did this research with the help of scientists at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
- In 2013, his name was announced from the Nawada Constituency of Bihar for the 2014 General Elections. He went to Rajnath Singh’s house after the announcement crying and asking for a ticket from the Begusarai Constituency of Bihar instead. His ticket was not changed.
- He is a loyalist of Narendra Modi since the time he was the Chief Minister of Gujarat and was among the first people to suggest his name as the Prime Minister.