|Profession(s)||Cinematographer, Journalist, Director, Actress, Assistant Director|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Last Film||Rust (under production in 2021)|
|Date of Birth||Year 1979|
|Birthplace||Gorodets, Zhytomyr, Ukraine|
|Date of Death||October 21, 2021|
|Place of Death||Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States|
|Age (at the time of death)||42 Years|
|Death Cause||Shot by Prop Gun Hollywood Reporter|
|College/University||• Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine
• American Film Institute Conservatory (AFI) Conservatory, US
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduation in International Journalism from Kyiv National University, Ukraine
• Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Cinematography from American Film Institute Conservatory (AFI) Conservatory (2015) Halyna Hutchins’s Official Website
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Husband/Spouse||Matthew Hutchins (worked as an associate at Kirkland and Ellis in the United States)
|Children||Son- Andros Hutchins (born in 2012)
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known (served in the military forces in Murmansk, Russia)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Halyna Hutchins
- Halyna Hutchins was a Ukrainian cinematographer who worked mainly in American films.
- She spent most of her childhood at a Soviet military base in the Arctic Circle.
- Initially, she started working as an investigative journalist at the British documentary productions in Europe.
- She then developed an interest in filmmaking after watching the work of the renowned cinematographers Christopher Doyle (Australian-Hongkonger) and Sergey Urusevskiy (Soviet).
- She then decided to shift to Los Angeles to make her career in filmmaking.
- Halyna started working in short films as a production assistant and grip electric.
- She was then motivated by the American cinematographer Robert Primes to pursue a professional course in cinematography at the American Film Institute (AFI) Conservatory, US.
- Her thesis project at the AFI was screened at ‘Camerimage,’ an international film festival of the art of cinematography.
- After working as a director of photography at the International Cinematographers Guild (IATSE Local 600) in Los Angeles, California, she started working as the director of photography at Innovative Artists, New York.
- She was listed as the cinematographer for the 21st Century Fox DP Lab in 2018.
- Halyna has worked in the filmmaking team in various Hollywood films like ‘Darlin’ (2019), ‘Archenemy’ (2020), and ‘Blindfire’ (2020).
- In 2019, she worked as a cinematographer in BET+ original series English TV series ‘A Luv Tale: The Series.’
- She was shot by a prop gun while filming for the English film ‘Rust’ by the American actor Alec Baldwin on 21 October 2021, and the American film director Joel Souza was severely injured by the gunshot. The director was admitted to a nearby hospital, but Halya was declared dead on arrival. The director of the English film ‘Archenemy’ shared his grief on her demise through Twitter. He tweeted,
I’m so sad about losing Halyna. And so infuriated that this could happen on a set. She was a brilliant talent who was committed to art and to film.”
Her alma mater AFI Conservatory tweeted,
As is profoundly true in the art of cinematography, words alone cannot capture the loss of one so dear to the AFI community.”
- She used to speak and write in various languages like English, Ukrainian, and Russian.
- She was a coffee lover and used to love reading books.
- On her Facebook account, she described herself as a restless dreamer and movie junkie.