Death Date: 08/07/2020
|Real Name||Syed Ishtiaq Ahmed Jafri|
|Famous Role||‘Soorma Bhopali’ in the Bollywood film, “Sholay"
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 174 cm
in meters- 1.74 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Debut||Film (Child Artist): Afsana (1951)
Film (Lead Actor): Bhabhi (1957)
Film (Comedian): Do Bigha Zameen (1954)
|Last Film||Gali Gali Chor Hai (2012)
|Award||IIFA Award for Lifetime Achievement (2019)|
|Date of Birth||29 March 1939 (Wednesday)|
|Birthplace||Datia, Madhya Pradesh, Central Provinces, British India|
|Date of Death||08 July 2020 (Wednesday)|
|Place of Death||Bandra, Mumbai, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||81 Years|
|Death Cause||Age related health issues|
|College/University||Did Not Attend|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Listening to Songs|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Wife/Spouse(s)||• First Wife: Naseem Begam
• Second Wife: Sughra Begum
• Third Wife: Nazima
|Children||Son(s)- Hussein Jaffry (from his first wife, Naseem Begam)
Javed Jaffrey (Actor, Dancer, Comedian; from his second wife, Sughra Begum)
Naved Jaffrey (Actor, TV-judge; from his second wife, Sughra Begum)
Daughter(s)- Shakira Shafi (from his first wife, Naseem Begam)
Suraiya Jaffrey (from his first wife, Naseem Begam)
Muskan (from his third wife, Nazima)
|Parents||Father- Syed Yawar Husain Jafri (Advocate)
Mother- Kaneez Hyder
|Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Dilip Kumar, Raj Kapoor, Shah Rukh Khan|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jagdeep
- Jagdeep was an Indian veteran actor and comedian who was known for playing the role of ‘Soorma Bhopali’ in the Bollywood film,“Sholay.”
- Jagdeep was born into a family of advocates in Datia, Madhya Pradesh.
- Jagdeep’s father passed away when Jagdeep was still an infant.
- His family’s fortunes declined after his father’s death and India’s partition.
- After the partition, his family relocated to Mumbai in order to provide a better living to his children.
- She raised Jagdeep while working as a cook in an orphanage.
- Jagdeep did not like her mother putting extra efforts to collect money for his school fees. So, Jagdeep gave up his studies and started selling odd things like kites, soaps, and combs on the road sides in Mumbai to support his mother. He used to make up around Rs. 1.50 by working for the entire day.
- Once a film director spotted him on the roads of Mumbai and offered him a role of a child in the film, “Afsana.”
- His work was to clap in a scene in the movie, and Jagdeep was offered Rs. 3 for it. However, later, he bagged a dialogue in the film and the remuneration was then, doubled up.
- He, then, went on to work in many films as a child artist, like “Ab Dilli Door Nahin” (1953), “Munna” (1954), “Aar Paar” (1954), “Do Bigha Zamin” (1953), and “Hum Panchi Ek Dal Ke” (1957).
- His performance in the film, “Hum Panchi Ek Daal Ke” (1957) impressed the then Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru so much that Nehru gifted Jagdeep his personal staff as a token of appreciation.
- Jagdeep made his debut as a lead actor in 1957 with the film, “Bhabhi.”
- Subsequently, he featured in many Bollywood films, like “Barkhaa” (1959), “Teen Bahuraniyan” (1968), and “Bidaai” (1974).
- He was praised for his comic skills in the film, “Brahmachari” (1968).
- Jagdeep shot to fame by playing the role of ‘Soorma Bhopali’ in the Bollywood film, “Sholay.”
- Surprisingly, Jagdeep had refused to play the role of ‘Soorma Bhopali’ in “Sholay” at first. However, the role went on to become the biggest success of his life.
- In 1988, Jagdeep directed a film titled “Soorma Bhopali,” which was inspired from his character in the Bollywood film, ‘Sholay.’
- Thereafter, he worked in many Bollywood films, like “Phir Wohi Raat” (1980), “Purana Mandir” (1984), “Andaz Apna Apna” (1994), and “3D Saamri” (1985).
- In 2012, Jagdeep played the role of a police constable in the film, “Gali Gali Chor Hai.” This was his last film as an actor.
- Jagdeep got married to Naseem Begam when he was 18 years old.
- His eldest son, Hussein Jaffrey died of a throat infection in 2009. Apparently, Hussein had lost his legs during a train accident in 2006.
- In a career spanning over 35 years; Jagdeep had worked in more than 400 films.
- Intrestingly, Jagdeep’s daughter Muskaan is just six months older to his son, Javed Jaffery’s son, Meezaan.
- Reportedly, Jagdeep’s son, Naved Jaffrey was once approached by Nazima’s (Jagdeep’s third wife) sister for marriage. Naved; however, refused to marry her because he wanted to concentrate on his career.
- Jagdeep was around 33 years older than his third wife, Nazima.
- Many popular songs were picturised on Jagdeep, like “Paas baitho tabiyat bahal jayegi” and “In pyar ki rahon mein” from the film ‘Punarmilan,’ “Chal ud ja re Panchhi” and “Chali Chali re Patang” from the superhit movie ‘Bhabhi,” and “Aa Gaye Yaaro Jeene Ke Din” from the film ‘Phir Wohi Raat.’
- The actor took his last breath on Wednesday, 08 July 2020 at around 8 pm in Mumbai’s Bandra. He died due to age related health issues. Jagdeep was laid to rest at Shia Kabristan in Mumbai on 09 July 2020.