Husband: Hemant Singh
Age: 68 Years
Marital Status: Separated
|Full Name||Vasundhara Raje Scindia|
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• She entered politics in 1984 and was made the Member of the National Executive of Bhartiya Janata Party.
• Raje was appointed as the Vice President of the Yuva Morcha, Rajasthan BJP in 1985 and was also elected as an MLA from Dholpur constituency in the same year.
• She was elected as an MP in 1989 Lok Sabha elections and continued till 1991.
• In 1991 general elections, she was re-elected as an MP from Jhalawar constituency.
• Raje was appointed as the Minister of state in the Ministry of External Affairs after the party was elected to power in 1998 Lok Sabha elections.
• She served as an MP from 1996 to 1998 in the lower house of parliament from Jhalawar constituency.
• In 1987, she was named the Vice-President of Rajasthan wing of Bhartiya Janata Party.
• Raje was re-elected from the same constituency in 1998 and continued till 1999 and served as Union Minister of State, External Affairs.
• In 1999, Raje was again elected as an MP and got to serve for the desired 5 years.
• BJP in 2003 named her the Chief Minister of Rajasthan and she served till 2008.
• She again became Chief Minister of Rajasthan in 2013.
|Biggest Rival||Ashok Gehlot|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 77 kg
in Pounds- 170 lbs
|Date of Birth||8 March 1953|
|Age (as of 2021)||68 Years|
|Birthplace||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Presentation Convent, Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu|
|College||Sophia College for Women, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor of Economics and Political Science (Hons.)|
|Debut||Raje made her first political appearance in 1984. She was named a Member of the National Executive of the newly formed BJP.|
|Family||Father- Late Jivajirao Scindia (Former Maharaja of Gwalior state)
Mother- Late Vijayaraje Scindia (Former Indian Politician)
Brother- Late Madhavrao Scindia (Former Indian Politician)
Sisters- Late Padma Raje, Usha Raje, Late Padmavati Raje, Yashodhara Raje Scindia (Indian Politician)
|Caste||She belongs to the royal Maratha Kunbi clan. Traditionally, Kunbis were non-elite farmers in Western India. This Fissured Land: An Ecological History of India By Madhav Gadgil, Ramachandra Guha The Maharashtra government has included them among the Other Backward Classes (OBC). People of India: Maharashtra Part 2|
|Major Controversies||• Raje has constantly been attacked by opposition Congress party for helping Lalit Modi, former Indian Premier League administrator. One of two counts of the allegation is that she helped him fly away from India on the condition of anonymity. The copy of the affidavit that Congress released reads “I make this statement in support of any immigration application that Lalit Modi makes, but do so on the strict condition that my assistance will not become known to the Indian authorities.” The other side of the allegation is that, between 2008 and 2010, Lalit Modi, through his firm Ananda Heritage Hotels Pvt Ltd (AHHPL). invested INR 13 Crore in Raje's son Dushyant Singh's company Niyant Heritage Hotels Pvt Ltd (NHHPL) through his firm Ananda Heritage Hotels Pvt Ltd (AHHPL). Despite transferring 965 shares to AHHPL at INR 96,000/ share, Dushyant in his income tax returns has said that his shares in the same firm are worth just INR 10 each. Singh's company was also provided with a 3.8 Crore unsecured loan from Modi's AHHPL.
• The intent of Vasundhara Raje and the BJP came under a number of question marks when Raje, after becoming the Chief Minister of Rajasthan, justified the granting mining lease in Rajasthan's part of Aravalli Hills to companies which were close to the Congress. BJP accused Ashok Gehlot's government of a 3.4 lakh crore scam. This raised concerns over the BJP's seriousness on the corruption and brought the CM under a controversy.
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband/Spouse||Hemant Singh (Maharaj Rana of Dholpur from 1954–71, m. 1972- 1974)|
|Children||Son- Dushyant Singh (Indian Politician)
|Net Worth (approx.)||INR 4 Crore (as in 2013)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vasundhara Raje
- Does Vasundhara Raje drink alcohol: Yes
- Raje belongs to a royal background as her father was once a Maharaja of Gwalior.
- Because of the atmosphere that she had got around her, public service and politics were the fields she wanted to get into.
- Bhartiya Janata Party in 1985, named her the Vice-President of Rajasthan wing of Yuva Morcha of the party. She remained in the post till 1987.
- Late in 2003, the party made her the President of Rajasthan wing.
- Raje in December 2003 became the first woman to become a Chief Minister of Rajasthan.
- After the government dissolved in 2008, BJP named her as the leader of opposition in the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly.
- In 2007, UNO honoured her with “Women Together Award” for her efforts to assist women in self-empowerment.
- After losing the Assembly Elections of 2008, she had an image makeover and motivated the cadre for the 2013 Assembly Elections. She also carried out a 105-day yatra, where she covered more than 13,000 km.
- She again became the Chief Minister of Rajasthan in December 2013. During her tenure, she started mid-day meal schemes for mothers, insurance schemes, transportation vouchers for girl students and skills training for workers.