Net Worth: Rs 8,40,26,755
Wife: Poonam Azad
|Full Name||Kirtivardhan Bhagwat Jha Azad|
|Profession||Politician, Cricket Commentator|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.8 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|International Debut||vs Australia at Melbourne Cricket Ground, 06 December 1980|
|Batting Style||Right Handed Bat|
|Bowling Style||Right-arm offbreak|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||• Member of Delhi Legislative Assembly (MLA) from Gola Market (1993-98) (BJP)
• Elected to 13th Lok Sabha (MP Darbhanga) (1st term) (1999-04) (BJP)
• Re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha (MP Darbhanga) (2nd term) (2009-14) (BJP)
• Re-elected to 16th Lok Sabha (MP Darbhanga) (3rd term) (2014-19) (BJP)
|Date of Birth||2 January, 2020 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||61 Years|
|School||Modern School (New Delhi)|
|College/University||St Stephen's College, Delhi University (1979-81)|
|Educational Qualification||BA History (Hons)|
|Address||83A, Central Avenue, Sainik Farms, New Delhi 110062|
|Controversies||• From the year 2011 to 2015, Kirti continuously he kept raising the issue of huge financial corruption in the functioning of Delhi District Cricket Association (DDCA). While being in BJP he accused Arun Jaitley, who has headed DDCA for 14 years for being actively involved in the scam of Rs 400 crore. In 2015, Kirti Azad was suspended from the BJP for anti-party activities. Indian Express
• In February 2019, just three days after joining INC, Azad while addressing workers of Congress Party said that members of congress looted polling booths for him and his father during the 80s and the 90s elections. Later, realising the mistake he committed, he apologised and said in an interview,
"I am sorry. In the heat of the moment, and in an over-excited mood, I made such remarks so as to boost the morale of the Congress workers. Actually, I wanted to say booth management, but somehow got carried away." NDTV
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Somya Vardhan & Surya Vardhan|
|Parents||Father- Shri Bhagwat Jha Azad
Mother- Smt Indira Jha Azad
|Siblings||Brother- Dr Rajvardhan Azad
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs 8,40,26,755 (declared in 2019 Lok Sabha elections) My Neta|
Lesser Known Facts About Kirti Azad
- Kirti Azad was born into a political family. His father Bhagwat Jha Azad was a freedom fighter of India, a lifelong INC politician and chief minister of Bihar. Bhagwat Jha was also a six-time member of Lok Sabha from Bhagalpur.
- In his cricketing career, the all-rounder has played 7 test matches and 25 ODIs for India from 1980 to 1986. He was also a part of the Indian cricket team that won the 1983 ODI Cricket World Cup.
- Allegedly, several cricket experts say that Azad made to the Indian cricket team as his father, Bhagwat Jha Azad was then a Union Minister and CM of Bihar. There were many all-rounders more talented than Azad who could have played for India at that time.
- In 1983, Azad played for India in an exhibition one-day Prime Minister’s Relief Fund match in Delhi. It was a Prime Minister’s Relief Fund match. He smashed 71 not out with six fours and four sixes and helped India chase down 198 runs after being at 80 runs for six at one stage.
- While still playing Ranji trophy matches he decided to walk in his father’s footsteps and stepped into politics. In 1993, at the age of 33, he joined the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP).
- Azad’s father, INC veteran Bhagwat Jha Azad evicted him from his house when he joined BJP in 1993.
- Eventually, Azad joined the Indian National Congress (INC) in 2019, calling it “Gharvapasi.”
- His wife, Poonam Azad, a former Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) politician is also a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) since 2017. She contested and lost the 2020 Delhi Vidhan Sabha elections from Sangam Vihar seat on the ticket of INC.
- Kirti Azad’s both sons, Somyavardhan and Suryavardhan have played cricket and represented Delhi at various age-group levels, however, they were unable to make to first-class cricket. Somya is now a businessman whereas, Surya works at an MNC in Singapore.
- Kirti Azad has acted in a Hindi movie ‘Kirket’ released in 2019.
- Actor Dinkar Sharma will be playing the role of Kirti Azad in an upcoming Bollywood film ’83. The movie is based on India’s victory in the 1983 cricket World Cup held in England.
- Kirti Azad has four pending criminal cases with twelve charges framed against him. My Neta
References/Sources: [ + ]