Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari Age, Husband, Family, Biography & More
Age: 43 Years
Husband: Nitesh Tiwari
Hometown: Mulund, Mumbai
|Physical Stats & More|
|Debut||Film: Nil Battey Sannata (2016)|
|Awards||2018: Best Debut Director for the film Bareilly Ki Barfi|
|Date of Birth||15 October 1979 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||43 Years|
|School||St Mary’s Convent School, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|College/University||SIES College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation from SIES College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Hobbies||Photography and Travelling|
|Tattoo||She has a tattoo inked on her left forearm in Bangla language. The tattoo is the names of her husband and two children.
|Relationships & More|
|Husband||Nitesh Tiwari (film director)
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known
Mother- Lakshmi Subramanium (former principal of S.M.P.R. school in Mulund)
|Food||Dahi Chawal, Pancakes, Bhutta, Sattu Roti, Truffles, Ippodu, Spaghetti, Sabudana Khichdi, Khandvi|
|Movie(s)||Bicycle Thief, Dangal|
|Singer(s)||Alka Yagnik, Jassie Gill|
|Song||Gazab Ka Hai Din Socho Zara from the film Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari
- Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari is an Indian filmmaker. She is also an acclaimed author. Before venturing into Indian cinema, she worked in advertising for several years. She made her directorial debut with the movie “Nil Battey Sannata (2016),” which went internationally by the name “The New Classmate.” She then directed the Tamil remake of this film titled Amma Kanakku. She worked at Leo Burnet in India as the Executive Creative Director before pursuing her career in film direction. In 2017, she directed the 2017 romantic comedy Bareilly Ki Barfi for which she received the Filmfare Award for Best Director.
- During her college days at Sophia Polytechnic, Mumbai, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari earned a gold medal in commercial arts. Soon after completing her college studies, she worked for 15 years at Leo Burnett, an advertising agency in India.
- She is the recipient of several film awards and accolades such as Cannes Lions, New York festival, One show, Promax, and the Goafest Awards.
- In 2012, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari made her directorial debut with the short film ‘What’s for Breakfast.’ In 2016, she directed the feature film Nil Battey Sannata, which starred Swara Bhaskar. The film was produced by Colour Yellow Productions. The story was inspired by the life of a contestant who once appeared on the television reality show Kaun Banega Crorepati. The work of Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari in the film garnered a lot of praise and acclaim to her. In the same year, she released the Tamil film Amma Kanakku, which was a remake of the Nil Battey Sannata.
- In 2016, in the Femina poll, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari was listed as one of the “Powerful Women in 2016.” In the same year, she was listed in the Grazia Women Achievers magazine. Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari is a proficient public speaker, and in 2016, she was invited by TEDx Bangalore to deliver a speech on women, films, and self-empowerment.
- In 2017, she directed a romantic comedy film ‘Bareilly Ki Barfi,’ which became a huge commercial success. In 2018, she again won the Filmfare Award for Best Director for the film ‘Bareilly Ki Barfi.’ The success of the film garnered her a two-film deal with Balaji Motion Pictures under the leadership of Indian director Ekta Kapoor.
- In 2018, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari directed the film Panga and teamed up with Indian actors Kangana Ranaut, Neena Gupta, Richa Chadda, and Jassie Gill. This film was a new-age film that challenged stereotypes. On 24 January 2020, the film was officially released and was critically acclaimed.
- On 1 August 2021, she published a book titled Mapping Love, which was her debut fiction novel.
- In March 2018, a production house named Earthsky Pictures was co-founded by Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, along with her husband Nitesh Tiwari. In 2021, she directed a web series titled ‘BreakPoint’ based on renowned tennis players Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi under her own production house. On 22 April 2021, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari announced that she was working on making a documentary film on the life stories of N. R. Narayana Murthy and Sudha Murthy.
- Several advertisement films were directed by her under the production house Earthsky Pictures.
- Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari is a compassionate animal lover. The name of her pet cat is Khoblu. She often shares pictures of her pet on various social media platforms.
- According to Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, her near and dear ones call her ‘Sir’ and not ‘Madam.’ In a conversation with a media house, she narrated that in a male-dominated society, people did not tolerate a woman achieving the heights in her career. That was the reason that she was referred to as ‘Sir’ by her colleagues. Femina
- Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari considers herself a core feminist. In 2020, soon after the release of the film Panga, in a conversation with a media house, she narrated that it was the story of every household that a woman had to give up her career to look after her children and household chores. She stated that these rules were laid by the patriarchal society and must be thrown out for women’s empowerment. She said,
In any household, it’s the mother/wife who takes care of the family. Most women give up their career to take up a permanent job: motherhood. These are rules laid by patriarchal society. There seems to be a perception that women can’t perform physically post pregnancy. However, Serena Williams and Sania Mirza returned to sports and emerged victorious. That’s what we are discussing in Panga.”
- In her leisure time, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari likes doing photography.
- Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari remains very active on various social media platforms. She regularly posts her pictures and videos on social media. On Instagram, she is followed by over 276k followers. On Facebook, she operates a page titled #NoMakeupFoodStory, where she often posts the front cover of her favourite books.
- In May 2022, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, along with her husband, Nitesh Tiwari, announced that they were set to produce the young-adult comedy-drama Bas Karo Aunty!, starring Ishwak Singh and Mahima Makwana.
- According to Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, she likes eating Bengali food and adores wearing Bengali sarees. In a media conversation, she said that she thought was born South Indian by mistake. She said,
I also wear a lot of Bengali saris and love Bengali food. By mistake I think I was born a south Indian!”