|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 50 kg
in pounds- 110 lbs
|Medals||She had won a gold medal at the district level and three gold medals at the state level.|
|Date of Birth||Year 1994|
|Birthplace||Anugrah Nagar, Dhanbad, Jharkhand|
|Date of Death||15 December 2021|
|Place of Death||Her room in Mukti Neerh Ladies Hostel, Howrah|
|Age (at the time of death)||26 Years|
|Death Cause||Suicide Hindustan Times|
|Hometown||Anugrah Nagar, Dhanbad, Jharkhand|
|School||Shree Shree Lakshmi Narayan Trust Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Dhanbad, Jharkhand|
|College/University||Raja Shiv Prasad (RSP) College, Jharia, Dhanbad, Jharkhand Facebook- Konica Layak|
|Educational Qualification||Master of Commerce YouTube|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Parth Prateem Layak (private job)
Mother- Beena Layak (aanganwadi worker)
|Siblings||She had two elder sisters and one younger sister.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Konica Layak
- Konica Layak was an Indian 10m air rifle shooter who qualified for the National level shooting championship thrice.
- In her college days, as a member of NCC, she began practising shooting.
- She then won various shooting competitions at the district level. She was a Jharkhand state champion in 10m air rifle shooting, and she had won various state-level shooting competitions in 2015, 2016, and 2017.
- In 2016, she qualified for National Shooting Championship at Pune, and in 2017, she was qualified for the national competition held in Kerala. She could not qualify for the final round of national-level competition as she did not have an upgraded rifle.
- She used to practice with a borrowed rifle and in a tweet, she tagged various sports authorities and Sonu Sood to help her financially. She tweeted,
I have won a silver and a gold medal in the 11th Jharkhand State Rifle Shooting Championship. However, the government has not helped me at all. Please help me with a rifle Please help.”
- After reading the tweet, in June 2021, the Indian actor Sonu Sood helped her by sending her a German rifle worth Rs. 2.5 lakh. Konica thanked Sonu Sood through a tweet. She tweeted,
Sir, my rifle is here. A wave of happiness has spread in my family and the whole village is blessing you.”
- She joined Jaideep Karmakar Shooting Academy in Kolkata to continue her training in rifle shooting in 2021.
- She was about to get married in February 2022.
- In December 2021, she committed suicide by hanging herself to the ceiling fan of the room of her hostel Mukti Neerh Ladies Hostel on Bireswar Chatterjee Street in Howrah district, West Bengal. A suicide note was also found at the place of death. In the suicide note, she wrote,
I want to quit for not being able to fulfil the dreams of my parents and I am a failure.”
- During the investigation process, the local police said,
Layak apparently hanged herself after her roommates left for work. The body has been sent for post-mortem. Members of her family have come from Jharkhand.”
- During the investigation process, her father said,
I had no idea why she may have taken the drastic step. The local police have begun investigations. They are going through her cell phone details. She seemed perfectly fine when I last spoke with her on Tuesday night. I hope the police find something.”
- On her demise, her coach Joydeep Karmakar said,
Layak suffered a setback in October when she was disqualified for the national championship at the G V Mavalankar pre-national event on charges of tampering with the target. Layak is the fourth Indian shooter to die by suicide in four months. Three shooters from Punjab shot themselves with their own firearms since September. This is definitely a bad time for the nation’s shooting sports fraternity. Maybe psychologists can throw more light on this. I got to know about Layak only after I read in the newspapers that Sood was moved by her troubles and got her a new rifle. We contacted her and asked her to come over for training. We reduced her training fees by 50%. Her skills were quite raw when we took her on board.”
- Three days before her death, her mother had visited her. Her mother said,
She was very happy, she did not have any problem or tension.”