|Full Name||Mahesh Shrinivas Bhupathi|
|Profession||Professional Tennis Player|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 185 cm
in meters- 1.85 m
in feet inches- 6’ 1”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 90 kg
in pounds- 200 lbs
|Turned Pro||In 1995|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Arjuna Award for Lawn Tennis: 1995
• Padma Shri: 2001
|Date of Birth||7 June 1974 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||49 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|College/University||University of Mississippi, U.S.A|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Controversies||• He had an argument with Leander Paes over not selecting him in the Indian Team for the Davis Cup.
• He seperated from his first wife, Shwetha Jaishankar after seven years of marriage. She claimed that Bhupathi was dating Lara Dutta before their seperation.
|Girls, Affairs & More|
|Marriage Date||First Marriage- On 24 November 2002
Second Marriage- On 16 February 2011
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife- Shwetha Jaishankar (2002-2009) Model
Second Wife- Lara Dutta (2011-Present) Actress
Daughter- Saira Bhupathi
|Parents||Father- C.G. Krishna
Mother- Mira Bhupathi
Sister- Kavita Bhupathi
|Favourite Food(s)||South Indian, Italian|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Govinda, Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Movies||Coolie No. 1, Hero No. 1 and Jodi No. 1|
|Favourite Cookies||Chocolate Chip Cookies|
|Favourite Tennis Players||Boris Becker, Roger Federer|
|Cars Collection||Mercedes Benz E-Class, BMW 7-Series|
|Salary (approx.)||Not Known|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$5.6 Million (₹38 Crore)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mahesh Bhupathi
- Does Mahesh Bhupathi smoke?: No
- Does Mahesh Bhupathi drink alcohol?: No
- Even before he was born his father had decided that his son would become a tennis player. In an interview, he told that when his mother was pregnant, his father used to make her watch tennis. His father was himself a professional tennis player but because of a car accident had to leave the game. His father wanted to live his dream through him.
- He was 3 years when his father started training him tennis.
- He was 11 when his father took him to watch Wimbledon.
- Growing up, he put up a lot of hard work and lot of sacrifices. His father made sure that daily hours are put in. No day was Christmas, no day was New Year. He didn’t have any parties nor he used to go to his friends’ birthday parties.
- His father had the opportunity to be an investment banker and earn more money. The job required travelling and lot of time away from home. He didn’t choose it as his priority was to improve Mahesh’s game.
- While studying at the University of Mississippi, he won singles and doubles All America honours.
- In an Interview, he told that his favourite Olympic moment was when he met Muhammad Ali in the 1996 Olympics.
- In 1997, he became the first Indian to win the Grand Slam when he took the French Open crown in Mixed Doubles.
- In 1999, he won three doubles titles with his partner Leander Paes, including the French Open and Wimbledon. Their partnership became quite famous with their signature Chest Bump celebration. On 26 April 1999, they became the no. 1 ranked doubles team in the world.
- In 2001, he was awarded India’s highest Civilian Award; Padma Shri.
- In 2002, he married Shwetha Jaishankar, Miss India International. They met through a common friend in an auction. After three months of friendship, they came into a relationship. On Shwetha’s birthday, Bhupathi decided to propose to her to which she said yes.
- In 2006, he won the Doubles Championship with Leander Paes at the Doha Asian Games.
- After seven years of marriage, the couple decided to get divorced in 2009.
- In 2010, he with Bollywood Actress, Lara Dutta started a film production company known as “Big Daddy Productions”.
- On 16 February 2011, he married Lara Dutta in a civil ceremony in Bandra, Mumbai. Then, on 20 February, they married in a Christian ceremony at Sunset Point in Goa.
- On 1 August 2011, Lara confirmed that she was pregnant and on 20 January 2012, the couple was blessed with a daughter they named Saira.
- In 2014, he launched a sports brand, Zeven. This brand endorses Indian Sports stars like Shikhar Dhawan, Ravindra Jadeja, Rohan Bopanna and Mary Kom among others.
- He announced his retirement in 2016. Though he didn’t stay away from tennis for long, as later the same year he was appointed India’s non-playing Davis Cup captain.
- In his 21 year career, he won 12 Grand Slams (4 in Doubles and 8 in Mixed Doubles).