|Profession(s)||Advocate, Director of the White House Military Office
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet & inches- 6’
|Date of Birth||21 February 1978 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||43 Years|
|Nationality||American The Economic Times|
|School||Elmont Memorial Junior-Senior High School, New York|
|College/University||• University of Massachusetts Amherst, United States
• Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, New York
|Educational Qualification(s) LinkedIn||• Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science from University of Massachusetts Amherst (1995–1999)
• Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from Maurice A. Deane School of Law (2002–2005)
|Political Inclination||Democratic Party Twitter|
|Address||He lives in Washington, D.C.|
|Hobbies||Playing Basketball and Baseball|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Julie Crowell Varghese|
|Wife/Spouse||Julie Crowell Varghese (chief administrative officer at Atlantic Council)
|Children||Son- Evan Varghese (student)
|Parents||Father- Mathew Varghese (cab driver, security gaurd)
Mother- Saroja Varghese (nurse)
|Siblings||Sister- Manju Mathew (medical professional)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Maju Varghese
- Maju Varghese is an Indian-American lawyer who has served in Joe Biden’s 2020 Presidential election campaign. In March 2021, American President Joe Biden appointed him as director of the White House Military Office.
- Maju was born in America after his parents migrated from India with their six-year-old daughter. In 2019, through a series of tweets, he shared his back story and the various hardships his family had faced. After migrating to America, his mother, Saroja took up the job of a nurse, and his father worked double jobs (cab driver and hotel security guard) to support the family. In an interview with The Week magazine, Mr. Varghese said,
I was travelling out of Washington not long ago, and I saw an Indian cab driver. When we stopped at a red light, he was eating dinner out of a Tupperware container, and it reminded me of my father.”
Mom,a nurse from India,logging long hours. Dad drove a cab in NYC, later worked long hours as a hospital security guard.Although we lost Dad to illness before this, our Mom got to cross the threshold to the Oval Office to meet the Boss, @BarackObama in 2017.Eternally grateful 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/5t0qwhrQHS
— Maju Varghese (@moojv77) August 14, 2019
- After completing his education, Maju worked as a staff member in Al Gore’s 2000 presidential campaign; Al Gore served as the 45th vice president of the United States. Reportedly, he met his wife, Julie, when they were both working for Al Gore’s campaign.
- In 2001, he worked as a research associate for the Democratic National Committee. From 2006 to 2010, Maju worked as an associate lawyer at Wade Clark Mulcahy LLP.
- Prior to working for Mr. Biden, Maju has served under the presidency of Barack Obama. He held various supervisory and management positions at the white house from 2010 to 2017. He was responsible for managing the White House budget, personnel, facilities, tours and major events. In an interview, talking about his experience working with Mr. Obama, he said,
President Obama is an incredible person who has a way of connecting with everyday people, which is a remarkable thing. We saw how warmly he was embraced in India.”
- During the presidency of Donald Trump, Maju left his job at the White House to work as a senior advisor at the law firm Dentons in 2017. In 2018, he worked as the chief operating officer at The Hub Project, a Washington D.C. based non-profit organisation.
- In December 2020, Maju was appointed as the executive director in the four-member Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC) by Joe Biden. The committee was responsible for organising the swearing-in ceremonies of President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris. In a media interaction, Maju said,
It is an honour to help lead the team that will plan the inaugural activities for President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris while keeping their commitment to protecting the health and safety of Americans and demonstrating the strength and resilience of our nation.”
- As the director of the White House Military Office, Mr. Varghese is responsible for providing military support for White House functions that include food service, presidential transportation, medical support, emergency medical services, and hospitality services.
“The son of immigrants from Kerala, India, Varghese was born in New York City and raised in Elmont, New York.” Indeed and proud of it. It’s official. Honored. 🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/pH9MTsKgrh
— Maju Varghese (@moojv77) March 9, 2021
- Mr. Varghese is the first individual of Indian descent to hold the position of director of the WHMO.
- Other than Mr. Varghese, President Biden has appointed more than two dozen Indian-Americans to senior and mid-level administration positions.