Age: 63 Years
Marital Status: Widower
Wife: Medha Parrikar (died Of Cancer In 2001)
|Full Name||Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar|
|Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• Parrikar became a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) member at a young age and when he was in the final years of his schooling, he became a chief instructor for the organisation.
• He resumed RSS work in Goa and managed a private business after graduating from IIT Bombay. He then became a local director of the RSS at just 26.
• Manohar Parrikar was elected to Legislative Assembly of Goa in 1994.
• In October 2000, he became the Chief Minister of Goa for the first time but could not complete his 5 year tenure and was abrupted in February 2002.
• He was again elected to power in Goa in June 2002 and again the tenure shut down as four of the BJP MLAs resigned from the house.
• Parrikar was again sworn in as Goa Chief Minister in March 2012 but again had to resign from the post and had to move to Delhi in November 2014 as Prime Minister Narendra Modi named Parrikar the Defence Minister of India.
• In March 2017, Parrikar resigned as the Union Defence Minister and was sworn in as the 13th Chief Minister of Goa after the governor of the state called him to form government after some tricky results in the 2017 assembly elections.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 76 kg
in Pounds- 168 lbs
|Date of Birth||13 December 1955|
|Birthplace||Mapuçá, Goa, Portuguese India (Now India)|
|Age (at the time of death)||63 Years|
|Date of Death||17 March 2019|
|Place of Death||at his son's home in Panaji, Goa|
|Death Cause||Pancreatic Cancer|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Sagittarius|
|School||Loyola High School, Margao
New Goa High School, Mapusa, Goa Poona Board
|College||St. Xaviers College, Mapusa, Goa
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
|Educational Qualifications||B.Tech in Metallurgical Engineering|
|Debut||Parrikar was endorsed to BJP by RSS with the objective of fighting the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party. He was elected to the Member of Legislative Assembly of Goa in 1994.|
|Family||Father- Gopalkrishna Parrikar
Mother- Radhabai Parrikar
Brother(s)- Avdhut Parrikar and Suresh Parrikar
|Address||104, South Block, New Delhi|
|Controversies||• Parrikar led government in 2001 turned 51 government schools in rural areas into Vidya Bharati, an educational wing of RSS, for which he was criticised by some educationists.
• He was widely criticised when a 37 member team flew to Austria, Germany and Italy to observe European waste management plants and practices. This trip was funded by the taxpayer's money and cost around INR 1 Crore.
• In 2014, he made headlines for approving a junket for 6 MLAs from the ruling side costing around INR 89 Lakh. It was to attend the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He gathered criticism by the opposition for not including any soccer expert in the delegation and wasting the public money.
|Favourite Politician||Narendra Modi|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Late Medha Parrikar (died of cancer in 1999) sifynews|
|Children||Son- Abhijit Parrikar, Utpal Parrikar
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹3.5 Crore (as in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Manohar Parrikar
- Does Manohar Parrikar smoke: Not Known
- Does Manohar Parrikar drink alcohol: Not Known
- He became the first IITian to be sworn as Chief Minister of an Indian state. He was the batch mate of a profound Indian entrepreneur Nandan Nilekani.
- Parrikar saw his worst days before he was sworn in as Goa Chief Minister in 2000. His wife could not defeat cancer and collapsed a month before he was to take oath as a CM. He, however, moved on with the management of the province and parenting his two sons.
- Manohar Parrikar believes in simplicity and has been seen riding a bicycle to the Goa Vidhan Sabha. He prefers to travel by public transport.
- During his tenure as the CM of Goa, he did not move to the bigger house, the one allotted by the government, and preferred living in his own house. He did not upgrade his car as well.
- With no charges of corruption to his name, he has been one of the cleanest ministers India has ever had.
- Parrikar in 2009 called LK Advani a rancid pickle and added that his period was over, maybe a couple of years more. He further added that Advani should then mentor the party and be available whenever we need him.
- In late 2014, he got the charge of Defence Minister in the Union Cabinet. With this, he became the first politician from Goa to get such a high rank in the central government. He claims he was shivering on the first day as a defence minister and wasn’t aware of the military ranks prior to joining the post.
- Parrikar has always given straightforward and bold statements with no hesitation which some call harsh and some praise.
- Long before anyone could sense the Modi wave across the country, he backed him to be the BJP’s choice of Prime Minister thus becoming the party’s first member to do so.
- He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2018.
- On 17 March 2019, Mr. Parrikar died of Pancreatic ailment in his hometown- Panaji, Goa.
- Watch the following video for his biography:
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)
References/Sources: [ + ]