|Profession(s)||Indian playback singer and Youth Advocate of UNICEF, North East region|
|Famous For||her singing in the Bollywood film Akira|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 157 cm
in meters- 1.57 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 2”
|Debut||Playback Singer: Rajj Rajj Ke (Song)/ Akira (Film)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||Honoured with the title SONIT KUWORI ( Princess of Sonit )
• " Achiever Award 2015 "- Pratidine Times
• " NEEDS EXCELLENCE AWARD 2015 " as YOUTH ICON (SINGING)
• " Prerna Award " As The Promising Best Singer For The Year 2017
• " Gana Adhikari promising artist award " In The Year 2017
• " Best Female Playback Singer " 2017 for the song DHUNIYA JON - Pride East Award 2017
• " 7th Assam State Film Award 2018 " - Best Playback Singer for the song AKULI BIKULI
• " Prag Cine Awards 2019 " - Best Female Playback Singer for the song SILA
|Date of Birth||13 December 2001|
|Age (as of 2021)||19 Years|
|Birthplace||Biswanath Chariali, Assam|
|Hometown||Biswanath Chariali, Assam|
|School||Little Star School, Biswanath Chariali|
|Hobbies||Singing songs, Acting, Drawing, and Playing tennis|
|Controversies||• In 2017, 46 clerics issued Fatwa (a nonbinding legal opinion on a point of Islamic law (sharia) given by a qualified jurist in response to a question posed by a private individual, judge or government) against her. Hindustan Times
• There was a rumour against her, that she has sung some songs that were against terrorism. Zee News
|Relationships & More|
- Nahid Afrin is an Indian playback singer and Youth Advocate of UNICEF, North East region. In 2018, she has been appointed as the first ‘Youth Advocate’ of the Northeastern region by UNICEF to fight for child rights.
- Nahid started learning music at the age of 3 under the guidance of her first guru “Biblee Bhagawati”.
Nahid studied music at Bhatkhande Kala Kendra in Assam.
- She passed her class 10 board exam from Little Star School, Biswanath Chariali. Nahid comes from a modest background as her father works in DRDA as a Junior Engineer. She has a younger brother called Faiz Anwer (Golu).
- The eldest daughter of Fatema Ansari (mother) and Anowar Ansari (father), Nahid earned a lot of accolades performing at various singing competitions in Assam. She can sing in as many as three languages–Assamese, Hindi, and Bengali. India Today
- Apart from singing, she is also a scholar in studies as she scored 91.5% in her HSLC’18 exams. The Indian Express
- Before she started her professional career, she has performed in many stage performances in Assam.
- In 2015, she participated in Indian Idol Junior. She stood as the first runner-up of that season.
- After her participation in Indian Idol, she received many appraisals during the show.
- Nahid shot to fame after she made her debut in the Bollywood film Akira (2016).
- Nahid has sung many songs like Akuli, Bikuli (from Priyor Priyo), URI URI (from Best of luck), and more.
- In 2017, Clerics issued Fatwa (ruling on a point of Islamic Law issued by a recognized authority) against her, as she was going to perform in the upcoming event.
- Over 40 clerics from Muslim organisations issued the ‘fatwa’ against Nahid, restricting her to perform on stage, saying that the performance by a girl on stage was against the Sharia laws.
- She was shocked after hearing the news of ‘Fatwa’ which was issued against her. Nahid was broken and disappointed, Talking about it, she told the media,
I was broken completely after hearing about the ‘fatwa’. But I am not going to stop singing. I have received hundreds of calls and messages from the people of Assam and different organisations supporting me.”
- In an interview, talking about the news of Fatwa, she said,
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal spoke to me and told me not to be afraid. He also assured me of security during the scheduled programme at Udali on March 25. Music is God’s Gift to me and it has to be utilised properly. “I didn’t even know what a fatwa means,”.“For a few minutes, I thought I had done something wrong but I am a singer and music is my life. I don’t think I can survive without music and said that i will perform at the event.”
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal tweeted: “Freedom of artists is the essence of democracy. Spoke to Nahid and reiterated our government’s commitment to provide safety and security to artists. Many other ministers and Union law supported her. The Hindu
After getting fatwa from 46 mullahs in Assam,16 yrs old Nahid Afrin said she'll never bow down and will never leave singing. Bravo girl!
— taslima nasreen (@taslimanasreen) March 15, 2017
We strongly condemn putting restrictions on performance by young talented singer Nahid Afrin by some organisations.
— Sarbananda Sonowal (@sarbanandsonwal) March 14, 2017
- Many popular Singers, B-Town Stars, Politicians, and Actors such as Udit Narayan, Salim Khan, Aamir Khan, and many more supported her.
- Aamir Khan has brought Nahid Afrin’s life story to the big screen through the movie Secret Superstar. The Asian Age
- However, the fatwa, whether real or rumoured, still caused immense stress and was a grave cause of worry and concern to Nahid and her parents, she took to Instagram and wrote,
This happened at the most crucial academic period of my life,” she says, “I had just begun Class 10 and I needed to focus on my studies,” adding that she felt “mentally disturbed for almost a month” after the incident. “I didn’t even understand what was going on. I would cry often. The local media would show up at my school too,”
- But in the months that followed, Afrin gradually got back into her regular routine, where she would start the day with a 5.30 am Riyaz, go to school, come back, and study.
- Talking about music, she added,
Music has changed my life in more ways than one,”. It has helped me grow as a person. It has helped me focus too. For most of my life, I was that girl who quietly sits surrounded by books on the corner of the bench. Things have changed,”