Some Lesser Known Facts About Neelam Sharma
- Neelam Sharma was a senior anchor and news presenter of DD News, the national news channel of India run by the government agency, Prasar Bharati.
- She was considered to be one of the most popular Indian News Anchors, she became the face of Doordarshan with her popular prime time news show on DD National in the 1990s era.
- Other than presenting news shows on DD News, she hosted the flagship programs like- Charcha Mein, Ehsaas, Tejaswini, etc.
- From 2012 to 2018, she hosted the annual event ‘Bharatiya Chhatra Sansad’ (Indian Student Parliament) run by MIT-SOG in Pune.
- She used to appear on her shows in traditional Indian attire- the saree and open hair. Her traditional appearance has been also appreciated by noted media stalwart Amita Malik.
- Apart from hosting a few shows on DD News, Neelum also wrote and directed a few shows for Doordarshan.
- On the evening of 17 August 2019, Doordarshan News officially tweeted about the sudden demise of Neelum Sharma.
#DDNews mourns passing away of our dear Colleague Neelum Sharma. A founding anchor with over 20 years of association with #ddnews, she played a stellar role in many capacities. From 'Badi Charcha' to 'Tejasvini' her path breaking progs won accolades including Nari Shakti Award pic.twitter.com/dYKv3S4aCe
— Doordarshan News (@DDNewsLive) August 17, 2019
- Here is a short clip from Neelum Sharma’s news bulletin show:
- DD News aired a special tribute show remembering their founding member, Neelum Sharma. Here is the full video of the show, ‘Tejaswini” Neelum Sharma: