|Winning a Silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 193 cm
in meters- 1.93 m
in feet & inches- 6’4"
|in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 136 lbs
|• Asian Para Games 2023
Gold medal in High Jump T47 category
• Paralympic Games 2020
Silver medal Tokyo in High Jump T47 category
• World Para Athletics Championships 2019
Bronze medal Dubai in High Jump T47 category
|Date of Birth
|3 October 1999 (Sunday)
|Age (as of 2021)
|Village Badaun, Amb, Himachal Pradesh
|Village Badaun, Amb, Himachal Pradesh
|Lovely Professional University
|Bachelor's in Arts at Lovely Professional University, Punjab, India Lovely Professional University Site
|Relationships & More
|Father- Rashpal Singh (Daily wage labourer)
Mother- Pushpa Kumari (Homemaker)
|Sister- Rama Kumari
|Makki ki roti and Saag
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nishad Kumar
- Nishad Kumar is an Indian high jumper who won a silver medal in the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics. With this win, he also made a new Asian record of 2.06m in the men’s high jump in the T47 category. On winning the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics, Nishad Kumar expressed his feelings in an interview with New9 Live. News9 Live He exclaimed,
It feels great. It feels wonderful. I feel very happy and proud to give my country a gift on National Sports Day. The feeling is unbelievable.”
— Doordarshan Sports (@ddsportschannel) August 29, 2021
- At the age of eight, he lost his right hand in a fodder cutting machine while helping his mother in cutting dry grass. India Today In an interview with the Indian Express, his parents narrated his childhood story when he lost his right hand. They said,
As parents, whenever we remember the day when Nishad’s hand got into the fodder-cutting machine at our home, we cry. Today’s medal is the reward for his hard work. To see him hold the Indian flag and the silver medal at the Tokyo Paralympics has made us forget all the hardships.”
- After two years, Nishad Kumar opted for athletics and started training under coach ‘Ramesh’ at the Saraswati Vidya Mandir, Katohar Khurd, Himachal Pradesh. Initially, he competed in 200m and 400m races apart from the high jump.
- In 2009, he started competing in Para athletics in the High Jump category.
- In 2013, at National School Games in Patiala, he won a silver medal in the sub-junior category.
- In 2017, Nishad Kumar clinched a silver medal in the 1.83m high jump at the National Para Athletics Championship held in Panchkula.
- Nishad clinched a bronze medal at the 2019 World Para Athletics Championships in the men’s T47 category in November 2019 organised in Dubai. After this win, he was qualified for the 2020 Summer Paralympics organised in Tokyo.
- In 2019, Nishad Kumar was honoured by the Nalanda College of Himachal Pradesh for his extraordinary performance in the High Jump.
- At the 2021 World Para Athletics Grand Prix, he won a gold medal in the T46 category organised in Dubai.
- After winning a silver in the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics in August 2021, Nishad was honoured by the Sports and Youth Affairs Minister of India Anurag Thakur for his extraordinary performance in the high jump.
- Nishad Kumar became the second Indian to win a medal after Bhavina Patel at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics in the T47 category high jump event in 2021.
- Nishad Kumar believes in improving concentration through meditation. In one of his social media account, he shared his picture while meditating.
- Satyanarayana was the trainer and coach of Nishad Kumar for the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics.
- In an interview with Indian Express in 2021, Nishad Kumar’s coach claimed that Nishad had the ability to win more medals in the coming years of his life. He narrated,
His biggest strength has been the ability to do what he visualises in training as well as in competitions. His speed before the jump was excellent and he did not look under pressure. To win a medal with a new Asian record jump speaks of his confidence. He is young and I am sure he can achieve more in the coming years.”
- Nishad Kumar is a fitness enthusiast. He often shares his pictures on his social media account while at the gym.
- At the beginning of 2021, he was tested positive for COVID-19. The Hindu In an interview with News9 Live, Nishad Kumar shared his experience of being tested positive twice for COVID-19 positive twice. He stated,
I got infected with Covid, twice. I was hospitalised for five days. I had severe weakness and it took two months for me to recover. SAI and my coaches helped me a lot.”
He further added that his coach went into depression when he heard this news,
When I got infected with Covid, my coach Satyanarayan got into severe depression. He had tested positive for Covid before me and gone through self-isolation. But when he heard about it, he slipped into depression.”
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted a congratulation note to Nishad Kumar on his Twitter account. He tweeted,
More joyful news comes from Tokyo! Absolutely delighted that Nishad Kumar wins the Silver medal in Men’s High Jump T47. He is a remarkable athlete with outstanding skills and tenacity. Congratulations to him.”
- Nishad Kumar is a devoted environmental advocate, and he often plants saplings.
- On 23 October 2023, Nishad secured a gold medal in the men’s high jump T47 category at the Asian Para Games, which took place in Hangzhou, China. At the event, he set a new record with a jump of 2.02 meters. Scroll.in