Mother: Simone Tata
Marital Status: Married
|Full Name||Noel Naval Tata|
|Year of Birth||1957|
|Age (as of 2022)||65 Years|
|College/University||• University of Sussex, England
• INSEAD Business School, France
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor's Degree|
|Controversies||He was expected to be the succession of Tata Group after Ratan Tata but Ratan chose Cyrus Mistry for the leadership of Tata Group and later removed him and took over the Chairmanship again. The Economic Times|
|Relationships & More|
• Neville Tata (Businessman)
• Leah Tata (Businesswoman)
• Maya Tata (Businesswoman)
|Parents||Father- Naval Tata (Businessman)
Mother- Simone Tata (Businesswoman)
|Siblings|| Step Brother- 2
• Ratan Tata (Businessman)
• Jimmy Tata (Businessman)
Note: To know more about the Tata family, read our Tata Family Tree post.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Noel Tata
- Noel Tata is an Indian-born Irish businessman known for his contribution to some of Tata’s business entities. He is the chairman of Tata Investment Corporation, Trent, and the Vice-Chairman of Titan Industries. He is a well-known face of the Tata’s who served as the Managing Director of Tata International until 2021. The Economic Times
- Noel Tata comes from a wealthy Indian business family and joined the family business after completing his education. He began his career by joining Tata International, a company that deals with various products and services in foreign countries. He came to the limelight when he became the Managing director of Trent in 1999, the retail vertical of Tata International. He headed this company which was originally founded by his mother.
- When he gained the leadership of Trent, it had newly acquired Littlewoods International which was a department store. This newly acquired venture was renamed as Westside. Since then Noel worked on its growth and turned it into a profitable business. With his leadership, Trent grew from a market valuation of Rs.36,00 Crores in 2014 to Rs.40,000 Crores in 2021. The Economic Times
- He married Aloo Mistry, the daughter of Pallonji Mistry who is an Irish billionaire businessman. They have two daughters named Maya and Leah Tata and a son named Neville Tata. Tata Central Archives
- In 2003, he was appointed as the director of Voltas and Titan Industries. He also became the Managing Director of Tata International during 2010 – 2011 and at that time Tata International operated as an overseas entity of the Tata Group that had a valuation of $70 billion.
- People believed that he will be the successor of Ratan Tata and will take over the chairmanship of Tata Group. These humours went wrong when his brother-in-law, Cyrus Mistry became the successor of the Tata group. However, Cyrus held this position only for some time, after which Ratan Tata took back the chairmanship from him. Ratan Tata retained it only for a few months after which he finally stepped down from the chairman’s position in February 2017. The Economic Times
- Noel took charge of Voltas in 2017. Under his leadership, Voltas grew from a market valuation of Rs. 18,000 Crore to more than Rs. 40,000 Crore. He was also appointed as a trustee of Tata Trusts in 2019 and a trustee of Allied Trusts and Sir Dorabji Tata Trust. These are two of the major trusts which impact and control Tata Sons’ decision-making process. Business Standard
- Till 2021, Noel Tata continued to work in executive roles at Tata Group. In November 2021, he finally decided to step down from executive roles after reaching the age of 65 years. However, he still holds non-executive positions in Tata Group and currently serves as the vice-chairman of Titan and chairman of Voltas, Trent, Tata Investment Corp, and Tata International.
- In 2022, Noel Tata integrated the 200th Store of Westside at the Utopia Garden Grove mall, Chikoowadi, Borivali West which became the new benchmark for his company Trent.
Noel Tata has also launched the Tata Super App on 7 April 2022 which will bring more business to Westside. He said,
“Westside (the brand name for Trent stores) currently has 7 million loyalty members, whereas the Tata super app expects to connect Westside to a base of 70 million Tata customers,” The Economic Times