|Famous For||Being one of the oldest Sharpshooter of India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Stree Shakti Puraskar
• Icon Lady Award by Ministry of Women and Child Development.
• She was among the 100 women achievers felicitated by the President Pranab Mukherjee.
|Date of Birth||1 January 1937|
|Age (as in 2018)||82 Years|
|Birthplace||Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh|
|Caste||Jat (kshatriya Rajput)|
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Daughter- Seema Tomar
Note: She has 7 more children (Names Not Known)
|Parents||Names Not Known|
|Favourite Cricketer||Sachin Tendulkar|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Prakashi Tomar
- Does Chandro Tomar smoke?: Not Known
- Does Chandro Tomar drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Prakashi Tomar belongs to a family with an agricultural background.
- Her daughter, Seema Tomar, is commissioned in the Indian Army. She is the first Indian woman to have won a silver at the ISSF (International Shooting Sports Federation) World Cup.
- Her granddaughter, Ruby Tomar, is also an International Shooter and is deputed as an inspector under the Punjab Police.
- Prakashi started her shooting career at the age of 60.
- Her daughter, Seema, wanted to learn shooting and joined the Johri Rifle Club and Prakashi often accompanied her to the academy. Tomar’s first shot came coincidently when she was showing her daughter how to hold the gun. It shocked everyone present there including the coach and the coach then advised her to join the shooting range.
- As Prakashi was a homemaker she had very less time to visit the shooting range. So, her coach allowed her to visit the academy once a week and continue the rest of her practice from her home.
- After 2 years of training, Tomar defeated Dheeraj Singh, the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Delhi Police, at a Rifle Shooting Competition. When the DIG was asked to get photographed with Prakashi he refused to do so and reportedly said, “What photograph, I have been humiliated by a woman.”
- She has won around 25 national championships in her career.
- Tomar secured a gold medal at the Veteran Shooting Championship in Chennai.
- Prakashi has mentored youths from her village as well as youth from the nearby area to learn techniques of shooting at her range.
- Prakashi along with her sister-in-law, Chandro Tomar has featured in television shows like Satyamev Jaytee and India’s Got Talent.
- In 2019, a film “Saand Ki Aankh”, starring Taapsee Pannu and Bhumi Pednekar has been made on the biographies of Prakashi and her sister-in-law, Chandro Tomar.
Old is bold and it's an honour to portray their terrific stories that are untold. #SaandKiAankh. Come join ushttps://t.co/qAatBDPVRC@bhumipednekar @ItsVineetSingh @prakashjha27 @tushar1307 @anuragkashyap72 @nidhiparmar @RelianceEnt @realshooterdaadi @shooterdaadi
— taapsee pannu (@taapsee) April 14, 2019
- It is rumoured that Prakashi and her sister-in-law, Chandro Tomar are not in talking terms with each other, except in the presence of media and at award ceremonies.