Pratap Chandra Sarangi Age, Caste, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Hometown: Nilagiri, Balasore, Odisha
Caste: Utkala Brahmin
Age: 64 Years
|Profession||Politician & Social Worker|
|Famous Role(s)||• Minister of State (MoS) for Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries
• Minister of State (MoS) for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• Contested the 2004 Odisha Assembly Elections on a BJP ticket and won from the Nilagiri Constituency
• Elected again in the 2009 Odisha Assembly Elections as an MLA
• In 2014, he contested the Lok Sabha elections but lost to the BJD candidate by 1.42 Lac votes
• In 2019, he was announced as the BJP candidate once again for the 2019 General Elections from the Balasore Constituency of Odisha
• Sarangi won from the Balasore Constituency by more than 12,000 votes over his opponents
• On 31 May 2019, Sarangi was inducted in the Narendra Modi Government as a Minister of State for Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
|Date of Birth||4 January 1955|
|Age (as in 2019)||64 Years|
|Birthplace||Gopinathpur Village, Nilagiri, Balasore, Odisha|
|Hometown||Nilagiri, Balasore, Odisha|
|School||K.C High School, Nilagiri, Odisha|
|College/University||Fakir Mohan College, Balasore, Odisha|
|Educational Qualification||B.A. from the Fakir Mohan College, Balasore, Odisha in 1975|
|Address||Gopinathpur Village, Nilgiri, Balasore, Odisha|
|Controversies||• In 1999, an Australian Christian missionary, Graham Staines and his children were burnt to death while they were sleeping in their station wagon by the Bajrang Dal in Monoharpur village, Odisha. Sarangi was the state President of Bajrang Dal in 1999. He was accused of being involved and knowing about the killings before they were about to happen. In 2003, the Odisha High Court sentenced the main accused Dara Singh to a death sentence and freed 11 men related to the case, including Sarangi, due to lack of evidence.
• In 2002, Sarangi was arrested on the charges of rioting, arson, assault and damaging government property. Many Hindu right-wing groups including the Bajrang Dal had attacked the Odisha State Assembly. Sarangi was the Bajrang Dal President and was involved in the attack too.
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Gobinda Chandra Sarangi
Mother- Name Not Known
|Assets/Properties (as in 2019)||Cash: Rs. 15,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. 3.81 Lacs
Bonds & Debentures: Rs. 50,000
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1 Lac + Other Allowances (as a Cabinet Minister)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 13.46 Lacs (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pratap Chandra Sarangi
- Pratap Chandra Sarangi is an Indian politician from Odisha. He is from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and was elected as an MP in the 2019 General Elections. On 31 May 2019, he was sworn in as a Minister of State (MoS) for Animal Husbandry, Dairying, and Fisheries and for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in the Narendra Modi Government.
- Since his childhood, Sarangi was a spiritual seeker. He wanted to become a monk of the Ramakrishna Math. He travelled to Belur Math in Howrah, Kolkata (headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math). The monks did not allow him to be a monk as his mother was alive, and he was asked to take care of her first.
- Thereafter he joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) to serve the people.
- In the ’80s, he started many Ekal Vidyalayas (village schools with a single teacher). He opened such schools in his village and nearby areas; as it was hard for children to get education due to the lack of good schools.
- Sarangi was the former state President of the Bajrang Dal.
- He lives a simple life. He lives in a hut and travels on a bicycle.
- While campaigning for the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, Sarangi travelled and campaigned in an auto-rickshaw, while his opponents did the same in luxury cars.
- He wishes to turn Balasore, Odisha into a tourist destination someday for the welfare of the people of Balasore.
- He is popularly called Nana by everyone and is loved like an elder brother in his village and in the nearby areas, where he constantly visits and helps out people.
- After he took the oath as a Minister of State, he stated-
My lifestyle has been like this since childhood. It is not going to change now that I have become an MP. I believe in living and working for the people and the country and I am going to follow that throughout my life”
- He calls himself a foot soldier of Narendra Modi and attributes his victory to Modi’s commitment, integrity, and simplicity.
- He was sworn in as the Minister of State (MoS) in the Narendra Modi Government by the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind on 31 May 2019.
- As the MoS for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises he took charge under the Union Minister Nitin Gadkari.