|Full Name||Nitin Jairam Gadkari|
|Political Party||Bhartiya Janata Party
|Political Journey||• After having joined Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) in 1976, the student wing of BJP, he became its secretary for Vidarbha region in 1978.
• In 1981, Gadkari was appointed as city president of Bhartiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
• Gadkari was elected as a member of Maharashtra Legislative Council from graduates' constituency in 1990.
• Between 1995 and 1999, Gadkari was the PWD Minister in Maharashtra Government.
• Gadkari retained his MLC seat in the 1996, 2002, and 2008 polls.
• BJP appointed him as the State unit president in the year 2004.
• He overtook the post of Bhartiya Janata Party President from Rajnath Singh in December 2009 and stepped down in January 2013.
• Gadkari contested from Nagpur Loksabha seat in 2014 general election and eventually won. He was given the portfolio of Road Transport & Highway Ministry in the Union Cabinet that year.
• In September 2017, Gadkari was given the charge of Shipping and Water Resources, and River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Ministry.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 85 kg
in pounds- 187 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||27 May 1957|
|Age (as in 2017)||60 Years|
|Birth Place||Nagpur, Bombay State (now Maharashtra)|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Gemini|
|College||University of Nagpur|
Diploma in Business Management
|Debut||In 1995, when he became the Minister of Public Works Department in the Government of Maharashtra.|
|Family||Father- Jairam Ramchandra Gadkari (Farmer)
Mother- Bhanutai Gadkari
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Address||Upadhye Road, Mahal, Nagpur-32|
|Controversy||• The dead body of a girl named Yogita Thakre, daughter a poor cleaner was found inside Gadkari's white Honda CRV in November 2011. According to the family members of the deceased, a scandal was avoided after the police findings were altered to save the minister and his associates from any harm. According to the police findings, she was trapped in the car because of a faulty electronic locking system and suffocated to death, but her family claimed that it was a murder under the sexual assault. The post-mortem report clearly said that there were 19 fresh injury marks on her body, including the genitals, but the doctors who carried it out said, genital abrasions were common in poor girls because of poor personal hygiene.
• Gadkari hit the headlines in 2012 when one of his firms named 'Purti Group' came under the scanner of Enforcement Directorate for alleged money laundering and forgery. It had to face the ED probe after media reports suggested that over two dozen companies invested in Purti Group. All these firms were provided with the loan by the Purti Group, which was headed by Gadkari. This pointed towards round-tripping and money laundering. The story unfolded once again 2014 when he announced to end the ban on e-rickshaws. This was seen as an attempt to benefit his relatives and the company, Purti Green Technologies (PGT). The allegation, however, was refuted by the Union Minister as he stated that he has got no interest in any firm which manufactures e-rickshaws, nor is any member of his family associated with any e-rickshaw manufacturing company.
• Just before the Maharashtra Assembly Elections, the Election Commission of India issued a show cause notice to Gadkari for his statement inducing the voters to take bribe. He made his speech in the Marathi language which translated into English as: "Now, I am watching your faces and I have some skill of predicting the future by way of face reading. You have an opportunity of "Laxmi Darshan" in next 10 days. Special people to get foreign made, ordinary people to get the local brand. All are Gandhivadis asking for Rs 5000. In these days of inflation, keep one thing in mind, eat what you wish and drink what you desire. Keep whatever you get. This is the time when illegally earned money can go to poor. Therefore, do not say no to Laxmi. But think while you vote. Your vote should be for the development of Maharashtra."
|Favourite Politicians||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi|
|Favourite Food Items||Samosa, Paani Puri, Bhel Puri|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Musician||Jagjit Singh|
|Favourite Song||Tujhse Naaraz Nahi Zindagi|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Kanchan Gadkari (Social Worker)
|Children||Sons- Nikhil Gadkari, Sarang Gadkari
|Salary (basic)||INR 50,000/month|
|Net Worth (approx.)||INR 15 Crore (as in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nitin Gadkari
- Does Nitin Gadkari smoke?: Not Known
- Does Nitin Gadkari drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He was quite a young boy when first joined the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS).
- Gadkari had joined the youth wing of BJP in 1976.
- He is the founder-chairman of Poly Sack Industrial Society Ltd., a company which manufactures rigid P.V.C Pipes.
- Gadkari is associated with Nikhil Furnitures and Appliances Pvt. Ltd. as a promoter director. The firm manufactures epoxy powder-coated steel furniture.
- He was appointed as the Chairman of National Rural Raod Development Committee by the BJP. Gadkari submitted his report to the Prime Minister after a series of meetings and studies, which was launched as ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana’ in December 2002.
- Gadkari is the brain behind a series of roads, highways, and flyovers across Maharashtra, including the ‘Yashwantrao Chavan Mumbai-Pune Expressway.’
- He began exporting fruits to various countries under the banner ‘Ketaki Overseas Trading Company.’
- Here is a little glimpse into the life of Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari.