Some Lesser Known Facts About Prathamesh Jaju
- Prathamesh Jaju is an amateur astronomer and astrophotographer, who became famous on the internet and news when a picture of the moon that was captured by him went viral. He had to work through more than 50,000 images and over 186 GigaBytes of data to get the final picture.
- Prathamesh Jaju’s Class X board exams were canceled due to the lockdown in the country amid the rising Covid-19 cases. This gave him more time to work with his high-end telescopes and cameras to pursue his hobby of astrophotography.
- Prathamesh Jaju was keen to know more about outer space since he was a child. He was a huge fan of Sci-Fi movie and TV series franchises- Star Trek and Star Wars.
- Prathamesh entered the field of astrophotography in 2018 as a hobby. He had captured several pictures but he couldn’t believe that this photo had gone viral on the internet and news channels. During an interview, he said-
I did not expect my image of the moon to go this viral, but yes, it is my best shot so far.”
- At the age of 13, Prathamesh joined India’s oldest amateur astronomy club, Jyotirvidya Parisanstha (JVP). JVP is an NGO that offers courses in astronomy and astrophotography by conducting star-gazing classes and educational classes to introduce the students to space.
- Prathamesh spent around four hours capturing the series of pictures of the moon, and then he spent another three days finishing the processing and editing of the pictures. Once the whole process was done, Jaju uploaded the pictures on his Instagram account with the caption-
This image is an HDR Composite of two different images made to give it a 3 dimensional effect. This is my most detailed and clearest shot of the third quarter Mineral Moon… I captured around 50,000+ images over 186 GigaBytes of Data which almost killed my laptop with the processing.”
- Prathamesh wishes to become an astrophysicist and study astronomy. He is pursuing astrophotography as a hobby, and he is trying to learn more about outer space.