|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms- 73 kg
in Pounds- 161 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||20 November 1962|
|Age (as in 2018)||56 Years|
|Birth Place||Nagpur, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|School||St. Francis De'Sales High School, Nagpur, Maharashtra|
|College||Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune|
|Educational Qualifications||Course in Editing|
|Debut||Writing/Directorial: Munna Bhai M. B. B. S (2003)
Production: PK (2014)
|Family||Father- Suresh Hirani (Ran a typing institute in Nagpur)
Mother- Sheela Hirani
Brother- Sanjeev Hirani (Works as a computer consultant in the United States)
Sister- Anju Kishanchandani (Journalist)
|Controversies||• In the year 2009, Rajkumar Hirani's Blockbuster movie, 3 Idiots, garnered some negative publicity when author Chetan Bhagat alleged the filmmakers of copying the movie's story from his novel- Five Point Someone. Terming it as a clear case of defamation, Hirani said that Chetan Bhagat had already been paid the amount mentioned in the contract and that the latter was now resorting to cheap techniques for materialistic gains.
• Hirani's next project, PK (2014), also made headlines at the time of its release. The film was criticized for portraying religion and godmen in a bad light. Despite the controversy, the film managed to cross the 300-crore mark in the domestic market.
• In 2019, during the MeToo movement, an anonymous woman alleged that Raju Hirani sexually assaulted him when she was working as an assistant with him on his 2018 movie Sanju.
|Favourite Author(s)||Harishankar Parsai, Wayne Dyer, Roald Dahl Hindustan Times|
|Favourite Book(s)||Your Erroneous Zones by Roald Dahl, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey Hindustan Times|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Dilip Kumar, Sanjay Dutt, Aamir Khan, Boman Irani|
|Favourite Film(s)||Anand (1971)|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Manjeet Hirani (Pilot in Air India)
|Marriage Date||Year- 1994|
|Children||Son- Vir Hirani (Pursuing Film Direction)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rajkumar Hirani
- Does Rajkumar Hirani smoke: Not Known
- Does Rajkumar Hirani drink alcohol: Not Known
- Rajkumar Hirani’s father, Suresh, migrated from Sindh (now Pakistan) to India during the time of Indo-Pak partition. Suresh was only 14 at that time.
- His father started a typing institute in Nagpur, initially with just 2 typewriters. In a matter of months, his father was training around 1000 students with 16 batches a day. However, the typewriters were soon replaced by computers and the business was forced to shut.
- Although Hirani’s parents wanted him to become a Chartered Accountant, he was more inclined towards theatre and acting. During his college days, he was an active participant in the field of Hindi Theatre.
- After watching their son’s zeal to become an actor, his parents made every possible effort to fulfil his dream. As a result, they sent Hirani to a reputed acting school in Mumbai. However, he could not adopt the environment of the school and came back to his house a few days later.
- Hirani then sought admission into the directorial course at the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune. His chances of selection, however, looked bleak as there were far too many applicants. Feeling defeated, he made a compromise and finally took up the course of Editing. Eventually, Hirani managed to earn a scholarship thereby reducing the financial burden on his father’s shoulders.
- After graduating, Hirani struggled for many years in Mumbai, in order to become a film editor. Finding no success, he then shifted to the field of advertising, where he slowly and steadily established himself as a director of commercial advertisements. He himself started featuring in many commercials soon after. Check out his Fevicol TVC in the video below:
- His dream of entering the B-Town soon started to look like a reality when he was called up by director Vidhu Vinod Chopra to work on the promos and trailers of the movie- 1942: A Love Story. Notably, Hirani’s first big-budget film as an editor was Mission Kashmir (2000).
- Hirani’s directorial debut film, Munna Bhai MBBS (2003), became a huge success worldwide. Shot on a budget of INR 1 Crore, the movie accumulated a distribution share of INR 2.5 Crore from only the domestic market.
- His dream run as a director continued with the success of his next 3 films- Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006), 3 Idiots (2009) and PK (2014). While 3 Idiots broke all existing domestic and overseas collection records at that time, PK became the highest Indian grosser earning a mammoth INR 500 Crore at the box-office.
- As far as awards are concerned, Raju Hirani has as many as 4 National Awards and 11 Filmfare Awards under his belt.
- A theatre fan and a devoted brother, Hirani produced her sister’s first theatrical show titled Growing Up. The show revolves around the repercussions of puberty.
📢⚡TRENDING: Goa CM, Manohar Parrikar passes away, Read his Biography
References/Sources: [ + ]
|1, 2.||↑||Hindustan Times|