Age: 62 Years
Weight: 6' 2"
|Real Name||Rakesh Madia|
|Profession||Retired IPS Officer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 188 cm
in meters- 1.88 m
in feet inches- 6’ 2”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Service||Indian Police Service (IPS)|
|Major Designations(s)||Rakesh Maria joined the IPS in 1981, and he held several important posts in his 36 years long career.
• Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic) in 1993
• Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime)
• Joint Commissioner of Mumbai Police (Crime)
• Chief of Mumbai's Anti-Terror Squad (ATS)
• Commissioner of the Mumbai Police on 15 February 2014
• Director-General of the Home Guard
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service
• Police Medal for Meritorious Services
• 50th Anniversary Independence Medal
|Date of Birth||19 January 1957 (Saturday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||62 Years|
|School||St. Andrew's High School, Mumbai|
|College/University||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai|
|Caste||Gond (Primitive Tribal Group)|
|Hobbies||Reading Books, Listening to Ghazals and Qawwalis by the Indian and Pakistani artists, performing Taekwondo, and playing Basketball|
|Controversies||• In 2003, during a sting operation, Maria made a controversial statement about the cricket betting scandal. He was criticized about the statement.
• Once, Rakesh Maria was transferred to a low profile in the Civil Rights Division; as a fake terror alert in a place of worship was reportedly sent from his email.
• On 1 December 2009, Vinita Kamte, wife of the slain assistant commissioner Ashok Kamte, revealed in her book "To The Last Bullet" that, Rakesh Maria was in the control room during the 26/11 attacks, and he mishandled the security response during the 26/11 attacks, which also led to her husband's death.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1985|
|Wife/Spouse||Preeti Maria (Businesswoman)
• Kunal (Elder; Lawyer)
• Krish (Younger)
|Parents||Father- Vijay Madia (Film Producer)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Favourite Dish||Deep-fried Mackerel (Fish)|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Film||Zanjeer (1973)|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Mehdi Hassan, Ghulam Ali|
|Favourite Book(s)||"The Day of the Jackal" by Frederick Forsyth, Sherlock Holmes|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rakesh Maria
- Rakesh Maria is the former Police Commissioner of Mumbai and the Director-General of the Home Guard. He has been a part of solving some of the most high profile cases in India.
- His father, Vijay Madia, owns a production house, and he has produced super hit films such as “Neel Kalam”, “Preetam”, and “Kaajal”. His father had moved from Punjab to Mumbai; to become an actor.
- When Rakesh was in college, he was a basketball champion and he was interested in martial arts. Rakesh is often seen playing basketball for Mumbai Police.
- In 1979, at the age of 22, Rakesh Maria represented Maharashtra in Karate at the National Games.
- When he was filling his application form for the civil services, he wrote IPS in all the slots of the column which asks the candidate about his/her preferred service.
- He came into the limelight when Maria investigated and solved the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
- In 2003, he solved the Gateway of India and the Zaveri Bazaar twin blast case, in which the accused were given death sentences.
- Several officers of the Mumbai Police call him Sherlock Holmes. Reportedly, his unique style of interrogation is often admired by other officers. Maria talks to the suspects in such a way and plays such mind games that the accused often confess their crimes to him.
- Maria is also famous for getting Sanjay Dutt to confess to his underworld links.
- Rakesh Maria interrogated the lone Pakistani terrorist of the 26/11 attacks, Ajmal Kasab. He was credited with getting the most information out of Kasab; as Maria knew Urdu, which was Kasab’s language, and he used mind games and tricks which led to Kasab giving information about his handlers in Pakistan.
- He often regrets not being on the field on the day of the 26/11 attacks. He was given the charge of the control room on the day of the 26/11 attacks.
- As the Chief of the Mumbai ATS, he uncovered the network of sleeper cells of the Indian Mujahideen in India, which used to plant bombs all over India.
- Rakesh Maria also represents the football team of the Mumbai Police in many state football tournaments.
- Maria is the only IPS officer who has headed the Crime branch as a Deputy Commissioner, Additional Commissioner, Joint Commissioner, and Commissioner.
- He often goes on the streets himself in case there is a disturbance or violence. Reportedly, once, when two groups were fighting on the road, Maria arrived at the spot, took a lathi in his hand, and he strolled the location where the violence was ongoing. As soon as the group saw him, they dispersed immediately.
- In the 2013 film “The Attacks of 26/11”, Nana Patekar played the role of Rakesh Maria in the movie.
- When Rakesh Maria retired, he announced that he will be writing a book about all his high profile cases, his memoirs, and his journey from an Assistant Superintendent of Police to the Commissioner of Mumbai Police.
- On 6 August 2018, film director Meghna Gulzar announced that she’ll be making a web series about Rakesh Maria.