Sushma Swaraj Height, Weight, Age, Family, Biography & More
|Real Name||Sushma Swaraj
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party
|Political Journey||• Swaraj started her political career with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad in the 1970s. After emergency she joined Bharatiya Janata Party. Later she became a national leader of BJP.
• She became a member of the Haryana Legislative Assembly from 1977 to 1982, obtaining the Ambala Cantonment assembly seat at the age of 25, and then again from 1987 to 1990.
• In July 1977, she was sworn in as a Cabinet Minister in the Janata Party Government headed by then Chief Minister Chaudhary Devi Lal.
• She became State President of Janata Party (Haryana) in 1979, when she was 27 years old.
• She was Education Minister of Haryana state in the Bharatiya Janata Party–Lok Dal coalition government during the period of 1987 to 1990.
• In April 1990, she was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha and remained there until she was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from South Delhi constituency in 1996.
• In 1996, she was Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting during the 13-day government of PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
• In 1998, she became the first female chief minister of Delhi.
• Again in 1998, she became the Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting with additional charge of the Ministry of Telecommunications from 19 March 1998 to 12 October 1998.
• She was the Union Cabinet Minister for Information and Broadcasting, a position she held from September 2000 until January 2003.
• She became the Minister of Health, Family Welfare and Parliamentary Affairs from January 2003 until May 2004.
• She served as the Deputy leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha until April 2009.
• She won the 2009 election for the 15th Lok Sabha from the Vidisha Lok Sabha constituency in Madhya Pradesh by the highest margin of over 400,000 ballots. Sushma Swaraj became Leader of Opposition in the 15th Lok Sabha in place of Lal Krishna Advani.
• Swaraj has been serving as the Indian External Affairs Minister under Prime Minister Narendra Modi since May 2014.
|Physical Stats & More
|Height||in centimeters- 149 cm
in meters- 1.49 m
in Feet Inches- 4’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 62 kg
in Pounds- 137 lbs
|Date of Birth||14 February 1952
|Age (as in 2019)||67 Years
|Birth Place||Ambala Cantt, Punjab, India
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Aquarius
|College||Sanatan Dharma College, Kurukshetra University, Punjab University
|Educational Qualifications||Bachelor degrees in Sanskrit and Political Science
|Family||Father- Hardev Sharma
Mother- Shrimati Laxmi Devi
Brother- Gulshan Sharma
Sister- Vandana Sharma
|Major Controversies||• In 2011, Sushma Swaraj, the then leader of opposition sparked controversy when visuals of her dancing at Mahatma Gandhi’s Samadhi while on a protest at Rajghat were aired on television channels.
• In June 2015, she tweeted that she took favours to get her daughter admitted in Medical College.
• External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was at the centre of an issue after admitting to having helped former IPL chief Lalit Modi procure documents to travel to Portugal last July on 'humanitarian grounds'. Where the BJP came out in support of Swaraj.
|Favourite Food||golgappe, kachori, aloo paranthas
|Favourite Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee
|Boys, Affairs and More
Daughter- Bansuri Swaraj
|Net Worth (approx.)||6 Crore INR
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sushma Swaraj
- Does Sushma Swaraj smoke?: No
- Does Sushma Swaraj drink Alcohol?: No
- Sushma Swaraj was born to Hardev Sharma and Shrimati Laxmi Devi in 1952. Her Father was the prominent member of RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh).
- Her parents hailed from Dharampura area of Lahore, Pakistan. They immigrated to India after Independence.
- She was a state-level champion of the best Hindi Speaker competition for three consecutive years.
- Sushma Swaraj entered Politics through RSS wing ABVP (Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad) in 1970.
- She was highly influenced by Indian Socialism and her ideology got very strong when she met with her current Husband Swaraj Kaushal (now her Husband).
- At the age of 27, she became the youngest Cabinet Minister in State Government of Haryana, in 1977.
- In 1998, she assumed the office of the Chief Minister of Delhi for just 52 days and became the first female chief Minister of Delhi to hold this position.
- In 1999 Lok Sabha elections, Sushma Swaraj contested against Sonia Gandhi from Bellary, a Lok Sabha constituency in Karnataka but she lost it to Sonia. Next, in the 2004 election when Congress was all set to form the government, an emotionally charged Sushma Swaraj threatened that if an Italian born Sonia became Prime Minister of India, she would shave her hair, wear just white saree and would eat only groundnut.
- From 19 March 1998 to 12 October 1998, she handled her portfolio of Information and Broadcasting with additional charge of the Ministry of Telecommunications in Vajpayee government, during this period she made a notable decision to declare film production as an industry, which made the Indian film industry eligible for bank finance. Before this, the film industry was heavily financed by the underworld on high rate of interest. This one decision liberated film industry from the clutches of the underworld.
- when she was the Union health Minister from January 2003 until May 2004, established six AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) at Bhopal (MP), Bhubaneshwar (Odisha), Jodhpur (Rajasthan), Patna (Bihar), Raipur (Chhattisgarh) and Rishikesh (Uttrakhand).
- Juan Manuel Santos Height, Weight, Age, Family, Biography & More
- Bill English Height, Weight, Age, Political Journey, Biography & More
- Chandraswami Age, Death Cause, Wife, Biography & More
- Anubha Bhonsle (News Anchor) Height, Weight, Age, Affairs, Husband, Biography & More
- Mohammad Ali Baig Height, Weight, Age, Wife, Biography & More
- Sheila Dikshit Age, Biography, Family, Husband & More
- Mamata Banerjee Age, Caste, Husband, Biography & More
- Kailash Vijayvargiya Height, Weight, Age, Wife, Political Journey & More