Age: 60 Years
Hometown: Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh
Marital Status: Divorced
|Full Name||Penmetsa Ram Gopal Varma|
|Profession||Director, producer, screenwriter, playback singer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 76 kg
in Pounds- 154 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 41 Inches
- Waist: 33 Inches
- Biceps: 12 Inches
|Eye Colour||Light Brown|
|Date of Birth||7 April 1962|
|Age (as of 2022)||60 Years|
|Birthplace||Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh|
|Hometown||Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh|
|College||V.R. Siddhartha Engineering College, Vijayawada|
|Educational Qualification||B.Tech in Civil Engineering|
|Directorial Debut||Telugu Film: Siva (1989)
Bollywood/Hindi: Shiva (1991, Remake of Telugu Fil Siva)
|Family||Father- Krishnam Raju Varma
Siblings- Varma Vijaya, Varma Koti
|Controversies||• When Ram Gopal Varma's 2016 film, Veerappan, was criticized by a female Journalist, he took to twitter to display his frustration and posted not one but two controversial tweets. The 'Aag' director took a snapshot of her image and posted, "So as per your review "Veerappan" the film is as beautiful as your face." He further tweeted, "I am sorry for the content packaged in the intent but will not apologize for the intent behind the content." However, he later deleted both the tweets following a widespread outrage on the micro-blogging site.
• Not impressed by Modi Government's Swachcha Bharat campaign advertisements, RGV once tweeted, “Films division's Swachcha Bharat Ad is worse than Aag..Someone should tell Mr. Narendra Modi that these kinds of Ads will make India dirtier." As expected, the tweet raised eyebrows of many NaMo supporters and Varma was slammed for his statement.
• In his autobiography titled 'Guns & Thighs', Ram Gopal Varma has accepted his fascination for actress Srivedi. In an entire chapter dedicated to her, Varma calls her a 'Goddess of Beauty' and confesses her love for the veteran actress. When Boney Kapoor, Sridevi's husband, got to know about this, he called RGV "crazy, bonkers and a man with a perverted mindset". Upset with such words, RGV then took to twitter and lashed on Boney with a series of tweets. One of his tweets claimed that Sridevi was famous not only because for her acting but also for her 'thundering thighs'.
• During the time of his autobiography's official release, RGV shared the cover page of his book and wrote a controversial tweet yet again. In the tweet, RGV mentioned that he dedicates his book to 'pornstar Tori Black and a few gangsters.'
• Following the release of his film 'Aag' in the year 2007, Ram Gopal Varma was sued by the Sippy family for copying portions of the iconic film- Sholay. As a result, RGV was ordered to pay INR 10 Lakhs by the Delhi High Court as punitive damages for 'distorting and mutilating the original copyright work.'
• In 2015, the Government of India gave orders to block all porn sites accessible in India. Infuriated by such a decision, Varma took to twitter and posted a number of tweets criticizing the government for its decision. One of the tweets read, "depriving consenting adults of watching porn is equivalent to what Taliban and ISIS are doing to freedom."
• RGV and controversies do not stay apart for a longer time. In July 2015, he posted a couple of controversial tweets regarding the tragic stampede that took place on the first day of Maha Pushkarams in Rajahmundry killing around 30 people. His tweets read:
• During the time of Ganesh Chaturthi festivities in 2014, RGV raged a war on Twitter by posting his beliefs on the matter. In a series of tweets, he questioned the existence of God and hurt the sentiments of Lord Ganesha's devotees. He wrote, "“The guy who couldn't save his own head from being cut, how he will save others heads is my question? But Happy Ganapathi day to morons!” He further added, “Can someone explain how someone can cut off a child's head who was just trying to protect his mother's modesty? Am sure devotees know better”.
• The 'Rangeela' director once again crossed lines when he posted a photo of notable former PM's namely Atal Bihari Vajpayee, PV Narsimha Rao and Chandra Shekhar Singh sharing a light moment while Sonia Gandhi is sitting ahead of them. RGV wrote, “Back benchers r always bad whether in school or parliament. Dont know who these 3 r but they look badder than each.”. He further added, "This pic represents inner psyche of Indian men’s disrespect for women ..Police shud investigate who they are."
• On 26 January 2021, an FIR was lodged against him in Hyderabad for the shameless portrayal of women in his documentary film 'God, Sex and Truth', which was a philosophical treatise of American Pornstar Mia Malkova.
• In December 2022, he was heavily trolled on social media after he shared some photos and videos on Instagram in which he was seen sucking actress Ashu Reddy’s toes and licking her feet. Koimoi
|Actress||Sridevi, Urmila Matondkar|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Urmila Matondkar (Actress)
Antara Mali (Actress)
Nisha Kothari (Actress)
Madhu Shalini (Telugu Actress)
Late Jiah Khan (Actress)
|Wife/Spouse||Ratna Varma (Ex-wife)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ram Gopal Varma
- Does Ram Gopal Varma smoke: Yes
- Does Ram Gopal Varma drink alcohol: Yes
- RGV was obsessed with movies from his childhood. He would often skip his engineering classes to watch films. In an interview, he said that he would watch the same movie again and again just to see certain scenes of his interest; this is how he developed an interest in direction.
- Although he began his career as a site engineer at Krishna Oberoi Hotel In Hyderabad, he always dreamt of opening a video library in the near future. Slowly and steadily, he gathered the required amount of money and eventually opened a video cafe in Hyderabad. It was only through this video cafe that RGV developed his first contact in the South Indian film industry.
- Even after failing as an assistant director in the Telugu film Collector Gari Abbai, a determined RGV made his directorial debut straight away with a Telugu movie titled Siva (1989). The film became a huge success at the South Indian box-office and RGV won many ‘best directorial debut awards.’
- Soon, RGV started to make a transition from Telugu cinema to mainstream Bollywood films. His breakthrough in Bollywood came with Aamir Khan and Urmila Martondkar starrer Rangeela (1995).
- He was awarded the National Film Award (Scripting) for his 1999 political drama movie- Shool.
- CNN-IBN once listed RGV’s Satya (1998) in the 100 greatest Indian films of all time.
- In the year 2004, he was featured on the BBC TV show- Bollywood Bosses.
- RGV’s Sarkar Trilogy is based on the life of late Indian politician, Bal Thackeray. The first two installments in the Trilogy became very popular and were even screened at various international film festivals.