|Full Name||Ram Vanji Sutar|
|Famous For||Sculpting the Statue of Unity in Gujarat, India|
|Debut||1954 (As a Sculptor)|
|Awards/Honours||• Padma Shri (1999)
• Padma Bhushan (2016)
|Date of Birth||19 February 1925|
|Age (as in 2018)||93 Years|
|Birthplace||Gondur Village, Dhule, Bombay Presidency, British India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|Hometown||Dhule, Maharashtra, India|
|School||A primary school at his village in Gondur|
|College/University||Sir J.J. School of Art, Mumbai, India|
|Educational Qualification||A Degree in Sculpture|
|Mentor||Shriram Krishna Joshi|
|Hobbies||Reading, Carpentry, Playing Musical Instruments|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year- 1952|
|Children||Son- Anil Sutar (Sculptor)
|Parents||Father- Vanji Hansraj (Carpenter)
|Favourite Leader||Mahatma Gandhi|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ram V. Sutar
- Sutar was born to a carpenter father, which was mainly the reason why he started his career as a carpenter.
- His mentor, Shriram Krishna Joshi attracted and motivated him towards drawing and painting.
- At the end of his course at the Sir J.J. School of Art, Sutar was awarded a Gold Medal for modeling (Sculpture).
- Having completed his education, he took a job to renovate the statues of Ajanta and Ellora. He did his job there for 4 years between 1954 and 1958.
- In 1958, Sutar applied for a government job in Delhi and became a technical Assistant (Model) in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B).
- In 1959, he had to leave his government job to become an independent professional sculptor.
- His first notable work was the Chambal Monument, a 45-meter monument at Gandhi Sagar Dam in Madhya Pradesh, India. India’s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru was very impressed by this work.
- The well-known work of him is the bust of Mahatma Gandhi. He has been recognised worldwide for his Mahatma Gandhi’s statues. Copies of his works were presented by the Government of India to other countries like Italy, France, Germany, Argentina, Barbados, Russia, etc.
- In his childhood, he once saw Mahatma Gandhi.
- Sutar has also sculpted the statues of Mahatma Gandhi in Meditation pose which have been installed at Parliament House and at Gandhinagar in Gujrat, India.
- Ram V. Sutar has designed the Statue of Unity in Gujarat, the tallest statue in the World, which was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi on 31 October 2018.
- The statue of unity is of the founding father of India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. The statue is 182-meter high, worth more than $33 million and is made up of bronze.
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡