Wife: Renu Chopra
|Profession||Indian film producer and director|
|Famous For||Directing Indian television series 'Mahabharat'|
|Physical Stats & More|
TV: Mahabharat (1988-1990)
|Last Film||Bhoothnath Returns (2014)|
|Date of Birth||27 September 1946 (Friday)|
|Date of Death||12 November 2014|
|Place of Death||Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai|
|Age (at the time of death)||68 Years|
|Death Cause||Damaged phrenic nerveFilmfare|
|Educational Qualification||B.A. Hindustan Times|
|Religion||Hindu (Arya Samaji) Hindustan Times|
|Controversies||In 2009, 20th Century Fox served a legal notice in the name of Ravi Chopra for copying the 1992 movies, 'My Cousin Vinny.' Century Fox filed for damages worth $1.4 million to settle the case. Fox gave permission to Ravi Chopra to make a movie based on the above mentioned movie. The end result was "Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai" and the movie remains unreleased.The Economic Times|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Marriage Date||18 November 1975|
|Children||Son- Abhay and Kapil Chopra
|Parents||Father- B.R. Chopra (producer-director)
Mother- Prakash Chopra
|Siblings||Brother- Aditya and Uday Chopra (cousins)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ravi Chopra
- Ravi Chopra started his career as an assistant director with his father, B.R. Chopra, and uncle, Yash Raj Chopra. His debut as an independent director was with Zameer (1975). The cast of the movie was Amitabh Bachchan, Saira Banu, Shammi Kapoor, etc.
- He worked with his father in direction of the legendary television series, Mahabharat. Later, he independently directed Vishnupuran and Ramayan.
- Ravi directed Baghban in 2003 and initially, people criticized the movie. However, the movie was successful in the box office as people from the age of 25-30 years could relate to the movie and they loved the concept.
- The family was struck by a financial crisis when several bad decisions were made. The TV serials they were making were not generating revenue, the movie ‘Banda Yeh Bindaas Hai’ had to be kept on hold, Babul (2006) didn’t do well in the cinema halls because people didn’t like the idea of Salman Khan dying.
- Ravi Chopra’s health got worse because of some lung ailment. Later, it was discovered that one of his phrenic nerves was damaged which paralyzed his diaphragm. He had to live with a portable ventilator and he couldn’t speak for four years.
- Ravi Chopra and Yash Raj Chopra shared the same birthdate and in the early days, they both lived together in a balcony cum bedroom house near Lido Cinema.
- Ravi Chopra believed in numerology and his lucky numbers were- 1, 3, 5, 6, and 9.