Husband: David Powell
Age: 77 Years
|Full name||Reita Faria Powell The Indian Express|
|Profession(s)||Model, Physician, Beauty Pageant Title Holder|
|Famous For||First Asian to win the title of Miss World|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 172 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Miss Bombay 1966 (Winner)
• Eve’s Weekly Miss India 1966 (Winner)
• Miss World 1966 (Winner)
|Date of Birth||23 August 1943 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||77 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, British India|
|School||St. Joseph’s Convent School, Panchgani, Mumbai|
|College(s)||• Grant Medical College & Sir J.J. Group of Hospitals, Mumbai, India
• King's College Hospital, London
|Educational Qualification||• M.B.B.S.|
|Religion||Catholic Aaj Ki Naari|
|Controversy||During the Vietnam war, Reita Faria visited Vietnam with British-American actor and comedian Bob Hope. They went to celebrate Christmas with American soldiers stationed there; however, it didn't go well with the Indian government as the Indian government was supporting the communist government at that time. It created big trouble for Reita. Later, this issue was also discussed in the Indian Parliament. Reportedly, she also received some threats that her passport would be impounded. Aaj Ki Naari|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year 1971|
|Children||Daughter(s)- Deirdre and Ann Marie
Some Lesser Known Facts About Reita Faria
- Reita Faria is an Indian physician-turned-model who is best known for being the first Asian to win the title of Miss World in 1966.
- Reita Faria’s father worked in a mineral water factory, and her mother owned a salon giving her a middle-class upbringing with one elder sister, Philomena.
- In her school days, Reita Faria was known for her determination to become a doctor.
- Apart from being a meritorious student, she was also known for her dressing sense during her school and college years, an attribute that has often been testified by one of her friends Cecilia Menezes.
- She did her schooling at St. Joseph’s Convent School, Mumbai. After her schooling, she got admission to Grant Medical College & Sir J.J. Group of Hospitals to pursue her M.B.B.S.
- Reita Faria’s pageant journey started with an unexpected entry to Miss Bombay in 1966, followed by Eve’s Weekly Miss India1966.
- Faria was selected to represent India at Miss World 1966 after her small yet successful pageant journey.
- With a few lipsticks, a borrowed saree from acquaintances, and a pair of footwear from a friend she went ahead to participate in the Miss World beauty pageant. But she was so tall that could not fit into those and had to buy a new costume and footwear. The Indian Express
- A 23-year-old medical student won the title of Miss World 1966, beating 50 other contestants from all over the world and made history by becoming the first Asian women to hold this title.
- She also won “Best Swimsuit” and “Best Eveningwear” titles during the Miss World contests. Her evening wear was a traditional saree.
- During her Miss World tenure, she had to visit different countries and do some social works. But her visit to Vietnam with actor and comedian Bob Hope during the war period gave her the controversy of her life.
- During her stay in Vietnam, a picture of her signing the American soldier cap went viral, where she had gone to cheer the American soldiers.
- After completing her tenure as Miss World, she was offered many Bollywood films and modelling projects, but she rejected these offers and chose to continue with her medical studies.
- After completing her M.B.B.S. from Grant Medical College & Sir J. J. Group (India) of Hospitals she went to King’s College Hospital, London for further studies and started practising there.
- Reita was one of the judges at Miss World 1976 held in London and many other contests during different rounds. Femina Miss India 1998 also had Reita Faria as one of their judges.
- After her marriage to David Powell, she moved to Dublin, Ireland.
- Reita has two daughters and five grandchildren.