|Real Name||Rishi Sunak|
|Name earned||"Maharaja of the Dales"|
|Profession(s)||Politician, Businessman, Author|
|Famous for||Affiancing to Bill Gates' eldest daughter Jennifer Gates|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Political Party||The Conservative Party
|Political Journey||• Member of Parliament
for Richmond (Yorks) (7 May 2015- Present)
• Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Local Government (9 January 2018 – 24 July 2019)
• Chief Secretary to the Treasury (24 July 2019 – 13 February 2020)
• Chancellor of the Exchequer (13 February 2020 - Present)
|Biggest Rival||The Labour Party|
|Books||• A Portrait of Modern Britain
• The Free Ports Opportunity: How Brexit Could Boost Trade, Manufacturing and the North
• A New Era for Retail Bonds: How Our Savings Could Help SMEs Grow
|Date of Birth||12 May 1980 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||42 Years|
|School||• Winchester College|
|College/University||• Oxford University
• Stanford University
|Educational Qualification(s)||• A degree in Electrical engineering & physics (Oxford University)
• An advanced degree in MBA (Stanford University)
|Address||Kirby Sigston, North Yorkshire|
|Hobbies||keeping fit, Playing cricket, Football and Watching movies|
|Controversy||On 7 April 2022, many British neswpapers reported that Rishi Sunak's wife, Akshata Murthy, claims a non-domiciled tax status in the UK. Acording to British law, this means that she does not have to pay taxes on dividend benefits received from overseas companies. Moreover, amid the Russia-Ukraine War, the opposition questioned Ms. Murthy’s income from Infosys that was still operating some of its functions in Russia; this was when Mr. Sunak himself regularly urged British companies to exit Russia to “inflict maximum economic pain” on the Vladimir Putin administration. Later, it was reported that Infosys had decided to nwithdraw its services from Russia. The Hindu|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||August 2009|
|Children||Daughter(s)- Anoushka Sunak, Krishna Sunak
|Parents||Father- Yashvir Sunak
Mother- Usha Sunak
|Assets/Properties||A 12-acre mansion in Downing Street, North Yorkshire
|Salary (approx.)||For MP of Richmond- £79,468 per annum parliament.uk
For Chancellor of the Exchequer gov.uk
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rishi Sunak
- Rishi Sunak was born in a Hindu family, his grandparents migrated from East Africa to the UK in circa 1960, making him first-generation immigrant in the UK.
- His father was a General Practitioner and mother ran a local medical store. During childhood, he would often lend her a hand at the pharmacy.
- In an interview, he said he was fortunate not to face much racism during his growing days in the UK. But there was one incident he narrated-
I was just out with my younger brother and younger sister, and I think, probably pretty young, I was probably a mid-teenager, and we were out at a fast-food restaurant and I was just looking after them. There were people sitting nearby, it was the first time I had experienced it, just saying some very unpleasant things. The ‘P’ word. And it stung. I still remember it. It seared in my memory. You can be insulted in many different ways, certainly in this job, but that stings in a way that is hard to explain.”
- He met his wife Akshata Murthy (Daughter of Infosys co-founder N. R. Narayana Murthy), in California, while he was pursuing MBA at Stanford University. The duo lived there together for a couple of years before returning to London.
They later tied the knot in 2009, in Banglore, India.
- Rishi Sunak is a father of two daughters- Anoushka Sunak & Krishna Sunak.
- Sunak is a sports and fitness enthusiast. His favourite football club is “Southampton Football Club,” and Matt le Tissier was his childhood hero.
- Sunak is a Coca-Cola addict, during an interview, he said-
- Before entering politics, Sunak enjoyed a successful business career. He co-founded a large investment firm “Theleme Partners” in 2010 and also was the director of another large investment company “Catamaran Ventures,” owned by his father-in-law N.R. Narayana Murthy.
- He regards himself as a Hindu and has taken oath on Bhagavad Geeta at the House of Commons since 2017. News18
- Rishi Sunak is the first Indian-origin British politician to take charge of “Chancellor of the Exchequer”, the 2nd most high-profile post in the UK government. Moreover, he is the UK’s second youngest person to be appointed for this position.
- Before joining the Conservative Party in the year 2014, he used to volunteer for their election campaigns.
- Sunak has been a rising star since entering the UK politics in 2014. Due to his enterprising personality, he has come a long way in a short time span, from becoming the Member of Parliament for Richmond (Yorks) in 2015, to winning the same seat consecutively for another two times with an increased majority in the 2017 & 2019 UK general elections. He was also “Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Local Government” before getting appointed as “Chief Secretary to the Treasury,” and now, has occupied the second most fundamental post the “Chancellor of the Exchequer” in the UK government.
— HM Treasury (@hmtreasury) February 13, 2020
- The young, dynamic and talented Rishi Sunak, is one of PM Johnson’s closest and favourite ministers and is also deemed by many experts to be a Prime-Minister-in-waiting.