|Full Name||Rohan Narayana Murty|
|Famous For||Being the son of N. R. Narayana Murthy, Infosys co-founder|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.7 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 7”
|Date of Birth||Year 1983|
|Age (as in 2019)||36 Years|
|Hometown||Bangalore (now Bengaluru), Karnataka|
|School||Bishop Cotton Boy’s School, Bangalore|
|College/University||• Cornell University, New York
• Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, United States
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduation in Computer Science
• PhD in Computer Engineering The Hindu Business Life
|Hobbies||Reading Books, Dancing, and Travelling|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Lakshmi Venu (Daughter of TVS Motors Chairman)
• Aparna Krishnan
|Marriage Date||• First Marriage: Year 2011
• Second Marriage: 2 December 2019
|Wife/Spouse||• First Wife: Lakshmi Venu (2011-2013)
• Second Wife: Aparna Krishnan
|Parents||Father- N. R. Narayana Murthy
Mother- Sudha Murthy
|Siblings||Sister- Akshata Murty
|Singer(s)||Shania Twain, Michael Jackson, and Elton John|
|Music Bands(s)||Led Zeppelin and Guns N’ Roses|
|Cartoon Character(s)||Tom and Jerry|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$500 million (2019) Livemint|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rohan Murty
- Rohan Murty is the son of N. R. Narayana Murthy, co-founder of Infosys.
- He is the founder of the Murty Classical Library of India.
- In his childhood, he suffered from infantile eczema, an allergy to vaccinations.
- He completed his schooling from Bangalore. On his official Harvard homepage, he has written,
I don’t remember much from the early years but a bunch of us studied Kannada in middle and senior schools. I attended senior school with an auto-driver, a cricketer, a giraffe, a senior mug pot, another mug pot, a pianist, a geek, a brainiac, a Bong, a lawyer and a pilot.”
- Rohan has been an avid programming enthusiast. Sharing his childhood experience, he said,
We had a clunky old machine at home that my father used to work on sometimes. I was a bored eight-year-old whose only non-school activity was playing tennis. I didn’t read, have friends or any hobbies. One day, I turned on the computer and started poking about. My father got upset and yelled at me saying I should do something more creative. My mother put me in an evening class where they taught basic programming thrice a week. The people in my class were all working adults. Nothing made sense to me, a fourth-grader, but I stuck on. After six months, we had to work on a project and I started building a checkout-cum-inventory programme for a neighbourhood grocery store. Suddenly, everything I learned clicked; it was very exciting. Those were the pre-internet days, and I would go to the library looking for books with problems that I could write code for.”
- After completing his graduation, he did PhD which was supported by Siebel Scholars Fellowship and Microsoft Research Fellowship. His PhD thesis on the use of white space (spectrum) is considered as path-breaking research.
- In 2010, Rohan founded the ‘Murty Classical Library of India’ to reintroduce the Indian literary work to the new generation. It was in the continuation of the Clay Sanskrit Library Project headed by Sheldon Pollock.
- In 2011, he got married to Lakshmi Venu but due to some personal issues, they got divorced in 2015. One of their close friends said in an interview,
They are both lovely people. They came together and then some differences cropped up. These things happen. They have now gone their separate ways. Hopefully with this behind them they will both move on and find life partners who are more suited for them.”
- He has been working with Catamaran Ventures, a $127-million venture capital.
- He started working as an executive assistant to his father in June 2013, later, designated as the Vice President of Infosys.
- On 14 June 2014, his father stepped down from the designation of the Executive Chairman. Rohan left the company on the same day.
- He spells his surname different from his father and removes ‘h’ from Murthy.
- He is a dog lover and owns a dog, Gopi.
- In 2016, a petition was filed to remove Sheldon Pollock from the position of the Chief editor of the Murty Classical Library, which Rohan rejected.
- Rohan dated Aparna Krishnan for almost three years, the couple announced their marriage to be held on 2 December 2019 in Bengaluru.
References/Sources: [ + ]