Some Lesser Known Facts About N. R. Narayana Murthy
- Does N. R. Narayana Murthy smoke: Not Known
- Does N. R. Narayana Murthy drink alcohol: Not Known
- His father wanted him to be a civil servant, but Murthy wanted to pursue his career in Engineering. He had cleared the IIT entrance exam but was not allowed to join, as his father could not afford to pay for it. So he went on to join some local engineering college.
- Since there were fewer computer engineers back then, he got job offers from a number of firms and organizations: ECIL, Telco, Air India, IIM Ahmedabad. Murthy chose the final one where he was paid INR 800 a month for working nearly 20 hours a day.
- In 1981, Murthy, with his six partners, co-founded Infosys, with its head office in Pune. The company later shifted its office to Bengaluru, Karnataka in 1983. It was in 1984 that they got their first computer and a telephone line.
- There was a time in 1990 when the company was about to wind up. Since it was not doing quite well, Murthy’s partners wanted to buy it out. But he was reluctant to run it and said that he would buy out everyone. Looking at his spirit, they all said that they were with him and won’t discuss the issue of closing down or giving up.
- Murthy was awarded the Padma Shri award by the Government of India in the year 2000.
- After having served as the CEO of Infosys for about 21 years, Murthy stepped down in 2002, giving away his post to Nandan Nilekani. Murthy went on to become chairman of the board, a post he quit in 2006.
- In 2006, Time Magazine named him as one of the Asian heroes, along with the former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi, who brought about some revolutionary changes in the nation since its freedom in 1947.
- The government of India, in 2008, honoured him with the Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award of the Republic of India
- In August 2011, Murthy stepped down from Infosys chairmanship, taking the title Chairman Emeritus.
- Fortune Magazine listed Murthy as one of the ’12 greatest entrepreneurs of our time in 2012.’ The list was topped by Steve Jobs, former CEO of Apple.
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡