|Profession(s)||Educator, Entrepreneur, Former Civil Servant (IAS), Doctor, Motivational Speaker|
|Famous For||His education initiative "Unacademy"|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Service||Indian Administrative Service (IAS)|
|Major Designation||Assistant Collector Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh|
|Date of Birth||27 July 1991|
|Age (as in 2018)||27 Years|
|Birthplace||Raikaranpura Village, Kotputli Town, Jaipur, Rajasthan|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Leo|
|School||Name Not Known|
|College/University||AIIMS, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||MBBS from AIIMS|
|Hobbies||Playing the Guitar, Puzzle Solving, Travelling, Listening to Music|
|Controversy||In October 2017, Roman Saini filed an F.I.R. to at the Indiranagar Police Station in Bengaluru in which he stated that a woman named Chitra Geetha had been harassing her since 2016. He went on to state that she was forcing him to marry her and also pay her ₹1.6 lakh/month. The woman had jonined the Unacademy in 2016. Times of India|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known (an Engineer)
Mother- Name Not Known (homemaker)
|Siblings||Brother- Avesh Saini (a paediatrician); image in the Parents' section above
Sister- Ayushee Saini (a medical student)
|Favourite Cricketers||Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers|
|Favourite Chess Player||Magnus Carlsen|
|Favourite Music Band||Pink Floyd|
|Favourite Singer(s)||Babul Supriyo, Atif Aslam, Arijit Singh|
|Favourite Musician(s)||David Gilmour, Led Zeppelin, Ani DiFranco|
|Favourite Music Band||Led Zeppelin|
|Salary (approx.)||Not Known|
|Net Worth (approx.)||$17.6 million (Unacademy's) Forbes|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Roman Saini
- Roman Saini was born into a middle-class family of Jaipur.
- Being born into an academically sound family, it helped Roman Saini excel at his studies.
- Roman Saini didn’t pay much heed towards his studies till class 10th; rather he loved to fly kites, cycling, playing cricket in the streets, trump cards, watching DBZ, Pokemon on Toonami, going to parks, playing PC games like Age of Empire, Counterstrike and watching cricket. He got 85% marks in his high school (Rajasthan Board).
- After his schooling, Saini competed for the AIIMS Entrance Examination and became the youngest to crack the examination at the age of 16.
- At the AIIMS, he served as a Junior Resident Doctor.
- In 2011, he visited the medical camps at various poverty-ridden areas of India. There, he saw the real face of India, where people have to struggle even for the basic amenities. It was there that he had decided to pursue the civil services; so that he could contribute to the society at a larger scale.
- When Saini was in the second year of the MBBS programme at AIIMS, he was approached by one of his school friends, Gaurav Munjal, with the idea to start an education initiative- Unacademy, which went on to become a popular free education portal for UPSC aspirants. The other co-founders of Unacademy are- Hemesh Singh and Sachin Gupta.
- In 2013, at the age of 22, Roman Saini became one of the youngest aspirants in India to clear the Civil Service Examination.
- Saini did not attend any coaching institute to prepare for the civil services; however, he had consulted the Vajiram material and test series. His Optional Subject was Medical Sciences.
- Saini got the 18th rank in the UPSC Examination, and after completing his training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) in Mussoorie, he was posted at Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh as the Assistant Collector.
- Soon, his interest in the civil services worn out; as he wanted to do something big in the field of education. So, he resigned from his post of the Assistant Collector Jabalpur in 2016 to work full time for Unacademy.
- On Unacademy’s channel on YouTube, Saini and a dedicated team (comprising of civil servants, teachers, engineers, doctors, and experts of other fields), upload the study materials; ranging from medicine and IT to civil services and foreign languages.
- Soon after the launch of Unacademy, its videos started getting millions of views. Moreover, more than 10 subscribers have cleared the civil services examination.
- Roman Saini considers himself an odd person in the society; as he said in an interview-
My parents gave up on me very early because I did not attend any social functions with them. I have not attended any family weddings for a very long time. My circle of relatives and friends realised that I was different, maybe weird. And probably they are right. I live in my own world and do things that I enjoy. Somewhere I have cultivated this ability to differentiate between the essential and non-essential in my life. This has helped me in doing correct things and doing it well.”
- While sharing his thoughts and muses, Roman further said-
I was not interested in studies in school and was not even a meritorious student. I believe getting high marks in schools etc is quite overrated. I don’t agree with the mugging-up culture we have in schools and colleges to pass exams. I only sat for the medical entrance exam because biology caught my attention and I loved reading everything there was on the matter. I enjoyed it and so I wrote the test. Getting selected in AIIMS was a good outcome of my interest in the subjects. Similarly, for UPSC, I followed my instinct to just relish the subjects.”
- When asked about his multiple career swings, Saini said-
I believe we can achieve anything if we really want it. For me, there were no external benchmarks to conquer. I have done everything that I really enjoyed doing. I play the guitar as I love music, not because I aspire to go to Trinity College in England. Medicals, civil services, to now giving back to millions of UPSC aspirants (online content)- all these have stemmed from internal drive.”
References/Sources: [ + ]