Net Worth: Rs. 6 Crore
Age: 48 Years
|Full Name||Babul Supriyo Baral|
|Profession(s)||Playback Singer, Actor, Television Host, Politician|
|Famous For||His songs in the films "Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai" and "Hum Tum"|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Political Party||BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party)|
|Political Journey||• His political journey started in March 2014 after he met Baba Ramdev.
• He became a contender in the Lok Sabha Election Polls in the same year from
Asansol (a small town of West Bengal) on a BJP ticket and won after defeating 'Dola Sen' of TMC (Trinamool Congress).
• In 2014, he was inducted into the Modi cabinet as the Union Minister of State in the Ministries of Urban Development and Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
• He became the 3rd BJP minister from the eastern state after Satyabrata Mukherjee and Tapan Sikdar.
• In 2016, he was appointed as the Minister of State for Heavy Industries and
• In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he won from the Asansol Constituency against TMC's Moon Moon Sen by a margin of 72,956 votes.
• On 30 May 2019, he took the oath as the Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
|Date of Birth||15 December 1970|
|Age (as in 2018)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Uttarpara, West Bengal|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Saggitarius|
|Hometown||Uttarpara, Hooghly District, West Bengal, India|
|School||Don Bosco High & Technical School, Liluah, Calcutta (now Kolkata)|
|College/University||University of Calcutta|
|Educational Qualification||B.Com (Honours) from Serampore College, Calcutta University in 1991|
|Debut|| Playback Singer (Bollywood): Zindagi Char Din Ki (Prem Yog, 1994)
TV: K for Kishore (Host of this Singing Competition Show in 2007-2008)
|Address||• B/54 Orchid Towers Yamuna Nagar, Andheri (W) Mumbai 400053
• Flat No. 2D, 2nd Floor, Prathama, 1 No. Mohishila Colony, Bottala, Asansol-713303
|Hobbies||Travelling, Listening to Music, Reading|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Honorary citizenship by the State Council of Atlanta (2002)
• Best Male Playback for Tak Jhal Mishti in Bengal Film Journalists'
Association Awards (2002)
• Best Playback Singer for Kasautii Zindagii Kay in Kalakar Awards (2003)
• Best Playback Singer for Mayer Anchal in Kalakar Awards (2004)
• Best Male Playback Award for Subho Drishti in Bengal Film Journalists'
Association Awards (2006)
• Best Playback Singer for Kasautii Zindagii Kay in Zee Gold Awards (2007)
• Walked at Grande finale show of Indian Federation for Fashion
Development's India Runway Week season 6 for designer Agnimitra Paul
|Controversies||• In 2017, a case was filed against Supriyo under section 309 of the Indian Penal Code (use of obscene words or gestures against a woman) by Trinamool Congress MLA 'Mahua Moitra' for using the word 'drunk' for her in a debate on a TV channel.
• In February 2018, he again became the part of a controversy after he called for a temporary ban on Pakistani artists in the Bollywood industry.
• In March 2018, he again came into the eyes of media during his visit to a relief camp in Kalyanpur (Asansol; one of the areas hit by communal violence). The BJP minister lost his temper after hearing slogans against him and threatned people to rip their skin off.
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Girlfriend||Rachna Sharma (2014-2016)|
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife: Riaa Supriyo (m. 1995; div. 2006)
Second Wife: Rachana Sharma, an air hostess of Jet Airways (m. 9 August 2016)
Daughter(s)- Sharmilee Supriyo (born in 1999, from Riaa Supriyo)
Naina Supriyo (born on August 12, 2017, from Rachna Sharma)
|Parents||Father- Sunil Chandra Baral
Mother- Sumitra Baral
|Favourite Politician(s)||Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Narendra Modi|
|Favourite Music Director||Nadeem–Shravan|
|Favourite Singer||Kishore Kumar|
|Favourite Song||Chingari Koi Bhadke by Kishore Kumar|
|Car(s) Collection||• Audi Q5/MH02CH9036
• Honda Brio/MH02CD9036
• Chevrolet Beat/WB-46E4635
• HYUNDAI (I20) ACTIVE, MH02DZ5399
|Bike Collection||Royal Enfield Thunderbird|
|Assets/Properties (as in 2014)||Movable
Cash: Rs. 46,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. 7.50 Lacs
Jewellery: 200 gm Gold worth Rs. 6 Lacs
Non-Agricultural land in Dharampur, Uttarakhand worth Rs. 19 Lacs
Residential building in Andheri, Mumbai worth Rs. 1.7 Crores
Residential building in Howrah, West Bengal worth Rs. 65 Lacs
Residential building in Asansol, West Bengal worth Rs. 20Lacs
|Salary (as a Member of Parliament)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 6 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Babul Supriyo
- He was born and brought up in Uttarapara (a small town on the banks of the Hooghly river) in a Bengali family having traditional roots in music. He was highly influenced by his grandfather Banikantha NC Baral (a Bengali composer and vocalist). He learned all the basics of music from his grandfather.
- During his schooling at Don Bosco Liluah School, he won the titles of ‘All India Don Bosco Music Champion’ (1983) and ‘The Most Enriching Talent’ (1985).
- He participated in several inter-school and inter-college music competitions and won many of them. He had also performed on Doordarshan and All India Radio.
- After completing his college in 1991, he got a job in the Standard Chartered Bank. He worked with the bank for a short period and then, located to Mumbai in 1992 to make his career in Bollywood.
- After landing up in Mumbai, Kalyanji (Music Director & Composer), gave him his first break and chose him to perform in foreign live shows. He changed his name to Babul Supriyo from Babul Supriyo Baral after he entered the entertainment industry.
- He toured the USA and Canada in 1993 with Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan to perform live shows.
- He also toured the US with a veteran singer Asha Bhosle in 1997 and 1999.
- He sang many songs and did several shows, but he rose to fame as a playback singer in 2000 after he sang “Dil Ne Dil Ko Pukara” in the debut movie of Hrithik Roshan “Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai.”
- His other famous Bollywood hits are ‘Hum Tum’ (Hum Tum), ‘Pari Pari Hai Ek Pari’ (Hungama), ‘Chanda Chamke’ (Fanna), and more.
- Later, he sang the opening theme songs for Balaji Telefilms. In 2011, he performed in famous Powai Sarvajanin Durgotsav of Mumbai. During his music career, he has done playback singing in almost 11 languages.
- Apart from singing, he has also worked as an actor in various movies including Mr. Joe B. Carvalho (2014).
- Being an avid admirer of Narendra Modi and Atal Bihari Vajpayee, he joined BJP in March 2014.
- Later, in an interview, he told the media, “I had never dreamt of becoming a politician. Once, I met Baba Ramdev on a flight. He is a very funny person. The Lok Sabha candidature was being announced at that time, and he was holding a list of the BJP candidates. I jokingly asked him to put my name on it to represent BJP from West Bengal, and I assured him that I would win. He thought I was kidding. After a week, I got a call from him to check if I was serious. I told him that I’m very lucky; I won’t lose. That’s how it all started. But I have taken my duties as a minister very seriously. Whatever portfolio is handed to be me I will try to fulfill the responsibilities with utmost sincerity.”
- On 9 November 2014, he was inducted as the Union Minister of State and became the youngest minister in the Narendra Modi Cabinet.
- In 2015, in MTV Coke Studio Season 4, he sang a song “I wanna fly,” along with his daughter Sharmilee Supriyo.
- On 12 July 2016, his position was updated to Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
- In 2017, Praful Patel (President of the All India Football Federation) announced Supriyo’s appointment as the Vice President of U-17 World Cup Organising Committee on Twitter.