|Profession||Corporate Sector Employee|
|Famous For||Being the boyfriend of Pallavi Dey, a Bengali television actress who committed suicide on 15 May 2022|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Date of Birth||19 December 1995 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||26 Years|
|Birthplace||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Pallavi Dey (Bengali television actress)
• Oindrila Mukherjee (rumoured) The Times of India
• Soumi Mondal
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known
Mother- Sandhya Chakraborty
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sagnik Chakraborty
- Sagnik Chakraborty is an Indian corporate sector employee, who works in the telecom industry. He is known for being the live-in partner of the Bengali television actress Pallavi Dey. Pallavi was found dead on 15 May 2022 at their rented flat in Garfa, Kolkata.
- He grew up in a middle-class family in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Before coming into a relationship with Pallavi Dey, Sagnik was married to Sukanya Manna. Chakraborty and Manna had a registry marriage in Kolkata. Pallavi also attended their marriage. Talking about the same in a media conversation, Sukanya Manna said,
Pallavi was my friend and she was invited to my registry wedding with Sagnik. I knew him for almost 7 years.”
- Sukanya decided to part ways with Sagnik after she came to know about Sagnik’s relationship with Pallavi.
- In February 2021, Sagnik gifted Pallavi a ring and proposed to her for marriage.
- In April 2022, Pallavi and Sagnik moved into a live-in relationship at a rented flat in South Kolkata.
- On 15 May 2022, Pallavi was found dead at her rented flat in Garfa, Kolkata. Sagnik Chakraborty was the first person to discover Dey’s body hanging from the ceiling fan of her room. He immediately intimated the police and Pallavi’s parents about it.
- Some sources state that Pallavi had a heated argument with Sagnik on the morning of 15 may after which Sagnik left for the market to buy some cigarettes. After he returned, Sagnik found that the door of his flat was closed from the inside. He broke open the door and found Pallavi hanging from the ceiling fan of her room. The police rushed Pallavi to M. R. Bangur Hospital, Kolkata, as soon as it reached the spot. However, the doctors declared her brought dead. Although the police suspected it to be a case of suicide, Pallavi’s parents alleged some foul play.
- Pallavi’s parents held Sagnik Chakraborty responsible for her death. While talking to a media person, Pallavi’s father, Nilu Dey, said,
Her partner had a registered marriage with someone else two years ago and we came to know about this six months back. There was another girl who he was close to and it would often create trouble in their relationship. We don’t know who saw her hanging.”
- Sagnik’s mother, while denying all the allegations made on her son by Pallavi’s father Nilu Dey, said,
They used to live together. Although we were not in complete support, we allowed them since they are grown-ups. A few times I had asked Sagnik to stay elsewhere and start living together once they are married. They didn’t have any major issues. I don’t know what happened.”
- Dey’s parents claimed that Sagnik was allegedly cheating on her economically. Talking about the same in an interview, her father said,
My daughter loved Sagnik very much. Sagnik was using a luxurious car that she had gifted him. Pallavi used to give expensive gifts to Sagnik on different occasions. They had three joint bank accounts.”
Terming their allegations as baseless, Sagnik’s mother in an interview said,
The allegations are baseless. Pallavi didn’t pay for the car or the flat. I gave Sagnik Rs. 9 lakh to buy the luxury car.”
- Dey’s parents also claimed that Sagnik was financially dependent on her and he forced her to pay for an apartment that they had purchased in Rajarhat. However, Chakraborty’s mother denied the allegations and said,
The flat in Rajarhat which Pallavi’s parents are claiming was purchased with her money, was bought by us. Pallavi did not contribute anything. We had paid Rs 43 lakh in cash and took a loan to pay the remaining amount.”
- Although her autopsy report revealed that she committed suicide, Pallavi’s father filed a complaint against Sagnik Chakraborty at Garfa police station accusing him of mental and physical harassment also mishandling of cash earned by their daughter.
- Following the complaint, the police called Sagnik at the Garfa police station and questioned him for around 18 hours.
- On 17 May 2022, Chakraborty was arrested by the Kolkata police for withholding crucial information regarding his employment and his joint financial investments with Dey. The deputy commissioner of police in charge of the south suburban division of Kolkata police, Atul V., said that Sagnik was booked under IPC sections related to murder, cheating, criminal breach of trust, criminal conspiracy and dishonest misappropriation of property.
- The investigating officer in the case said that the arrest was based on a financial fraud committed by Chakraborty. During a media conversation, he said,
Several inconsistencies have been found in Chakraborty’s statements regarding his work and source of income. We have found that he had closed his Salt Lake office a week before the victim died and is currently jobless. He, however, did not say this when we asked him about his profession.”