|Full name||Ramanathan Sarathkumar|
|Names earned||• Supreme Star
• Super Hero
• Puratchi Thilagam
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 42 Inches
- Waist: 34 Inches
- Biceps: 16 Inches
|Debut||Film (Telugu): Samajamlo Sthree (1986) as 'Surendar Babu'
Film (Tamil): Kan Simittum Neram (1988) as 'Inspector Sarath'
Film (Malayalam): Pazhassi Raja (2009) as 'Edachena Kunkan'
Film (Kannada): Saarathi (2012) as 'Suryanarayana'
Producer(Tamil): Kan Simittum Neram (1988)
TV(Tamil): Kodeeswaran (host) (2000)
Singer(Tamil): Orunnu Onnu from the film 'Aai' (2004)
|Awards & Honours||• Honoured with Kalaimamani Award in 1994
• 2 time winner of the Tamil Nadu State Film Award For The Best Actor
• 3 time winner of the Filmfare Award South for Best Tamil Actor
• 3 time winner of the Cinema Express Award for Best Actor
• Cinema Express Award For The Best Villain in 1990
• Jai Hind Patriotic Pride Award in 2009
• Mathrubhumi Amrita Special Jury Award in 2009
• SIIMA Award Best Actor in a Supporting Role in 2011
• Rainbow Ambassador Award in 2013
• Norway Tamil Film Festival Icon of Tamil Cinema Award in 2013
• Incisive Charisma award by WE Magazine in 2016
• SIIMA Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role (Telugu) for 'Naa Peru Surya, Naa Illu India' in 2019
|Party||• Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) (1996-2006)
• All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) (2006)
• Founded his own political party All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi (AISMK) on 31 August 2007
|Political Journey||• 1998: Contested the Lok Sabha elections from Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu
• 2001: Became a Rajya Sabha member
• 2011: Won 14th Legislative Assembly Elections from Tenkasi constituency
• 2016: Contested in the Assembly elections
|Date of Birth||14 July 1954 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||68 Years|
|Birthplace||New Delhi, India|
|Hometown||Thalakavur, Sivaganga, Chennai|
|School||• Raja Muthiah High School, Chennai
• Central School, Indian Institute of Technology Madras
• St. Patrick's Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Chennai
|College||• Loyola College, Chennai
• The New College, Chennai
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) (1976) MyNeta|
|Caste||Nadar YouTube - Nakkheeran TV|
|Address||Kalyani Nagar, Kottivakkam, Chennai- 600 041|
|Hobbies||Reading books and playing football|
|Controversies||‘Nattamai’ film leaked
According to sources, during the initial days of Sarathkumar's acting, he was close to politician Jayalalithaa. In 1994, when his film 'Nattamai' was released, he gave the videotape of the film to Jayalalithaa for her personal viewing, which was reportedly used by Jayalalithaa's television channel JJ TV for airing the film, while the movie was still running in theatres. R. B. Choudary, producer of the film, threatened Sarathkumar for misusing the tape as the tape that he gave to Jayalalithaa was given to him for his personal viewing. He sought an apology and explanation from both Jayalalitha and JJ TV, but no one apologised. India Today
Cases where Cognizance Taken
• 1 charge related to Illegal payments in connection with an election (IPC Section-171H)
• 2 charges related to Punishment for Being a member of an unlawful assembly (IPC Section-143)
• 2 charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by a public servant (IPC Section-188) MyNeta
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Nagma (politician, actress) (mid-1990s) The Times of India
|Marriage Date||• First Marriage- Year, 1984
• Second Marriage- Year, 2001
|Wife/Spouse||• First Wife- Chaya Devi (m. 1984, div. 2000) Pelli Petakulu
• Second Wife- Raadhika Sarathkumar (m. 2001)
|Children||Son- Rahul (from Raadhika)
Daughter- Varalaxmi (from Chaya), Pooja (from Chaya)
StepDaughter- Rayanne Hardy (from Raadhika)
|Parents||Father- M. Ramanathan (worked in All India Radio and Press Information Bureau of India)
Mother- Pushpaleela (also known as Leelavathy) (died on 26 October 2013) The Hindu
|Siblings||Brother- Late. Sudarshan Ramanathan (elder)
Sister- Mallika Kandaswamy (elder)
|Actor||M. G. Ramachandran|
|Car Collection||• Premiere Padmini (TN 04 A 9999) (1990)
• Honda (TN01 M009) (1992)
• Bajaj Auto (TN07 AJ6116) (2006)
• Scorpio (TN07 AL 0014) (2006)
• Tempo Traveller (TN07 AP 0014) (2007)
• Toyota Fortuner (TN07 BX0009) (2011)
• Volvo (TN07 BX0009) (2011)
• Audi (TN07 BT0014) (2012)
• Ford Endeavor (TN07 BU1499) (2014)
• Pajero Sport (TN07 CD0014) (2014) MyNeta
• Mercedes-Benz C-Class
• Cash: Rs. 30,56,000
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 43,136
• Bonds/Shares: Rs. 8,20,178
• LIC/Other Insurance Policies: Rs. 10,86,000
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,81,31,683
• Jewellery: Rs. 29,07,383
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 75,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs. 19,00,00,000 MyNeta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 16 crores (as of 2016) MyNeta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About R. Sarathkumar
- R. Sarathkumar is an Indian actor and politician, who is known for working predominantly in the Tamil film industry. He established his own political party in 2007 named ‘All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi’ (AISMK) in Tamil Nadu. He has worked in many films including ‘Pulan Visaranai’ (1990), ‘Surieyan’ (1992), ‘Nattamai’ (1994), ‘Suryavamsam’ (1997), and ‘Natpukkaga’ (1998).
- He was born into a Tamil family in New Delhi, India. Later, he moved from Delhi to Chennai with his family.
- He was an Air Wing Cadet in the National Cadet Corps (NCC) and marched in the 1970 parade of Republic Day.
- After completion of his graduation, he contested a bodybuilding competition and won the Mr Madras University title in 1974.
- He moved to Bengaluru after winning the title of Mr Madras, where he worked as a cycle boy, distributing newspapers for the Tamil newspaper Dinakaran. Later, he was promoted to manage newspaper circulation, and he then became a reporter for the same newspaper. He handled the newspaper’s business in Bengaluru, and later in Chennai. He opened his own travel agency in Chennai. The Times of India
- He is the owner and editor of the ‘Media Voice’ weekly magazine, which is published in South India.
- In 1990, he played the role of SP Raju in the Telugu film ‘Magaadu.’ He had a guest appearance in the 2005 film ‘Bunny.’ In the 2018 film ‘Bharat Ane Nenu,’ he was cast as a special appearance. In ZEE5’s drama films ‘Meka Suri’ and ‘Meka Suri 2.’ he played the role of Appal Naidu.
- In 2014, he played the role of Sengodagan in the Tamil-language 3D animated action film ‘Kochadaiiyaan’ starring superstar Rajinikanth and actress Deepika Padukone.
- After debuting in the Tamil film industry in 1988, he was cast in the 1990 Tamil film ‘Sirayil Sila Raagangal’ to play the role of Antony. In the 1991 Tamil film ‘Vaidehi Kalyanam,’ he played the role of Rajamanickam alongside actress Rekha. He played a cameo role as himself in the 1994 Tamil film ‘Killadi Mappillai.’ In 1996, he worked in the Tamil film ‘Mahaprabhu,’ which is considered one of his best Tamil films. He played the lead role in the 2020 Tamil drama film ‘Vaanam Kottatum’ alongside his real-life second wife, Raadhika Sarathkumar.
- In 2015, he produced and wrote the Tamil- language film ‘Sandamarutham.’
- In 2010, he acted in his second Malayalam film, ‘Oridathoru Postman,’ in which he played the role of Yasin Mubarak. In the 2011 Malayalam historical film ‘Veeraputhran,’ he portrayed the character of Vimal Menon. He played the role of ASP Anwar Ali in the 2014 Malayalam film ‘Asha Black.’
- After debuting in the Kannada film industry in 2013, he worked in his second Kannada film titled ‘Myna’ in which he played the role of ACP B. B. Ashok Kumar. In the 2016 Kannada biopic-drama film ‘Santheyalli Nintha Kabira,’ based on the Hindi play ‘Kabira Khada Bazaar Mein’ by Bhisham Sahni, Sarath portrayed Sikandar Lodi, a Pashtun Sultan of the Delhi Sultanate. He was cast in the 2022 Kannada film ‘James’ in which he played the role of a supporting character.
- He has worked in many hit Tamil films including ‘Pulan Visaranai’ (1990), ‘Surieyan’ (1992), ‘Nattamai’ (1994), ‘Suryavamsam’ (1997), ‘Natpukkaga’ (1998), and more.
- In 2014, he made a guest appearance on the Tamil language talk show ‘Ninaithale Inikkum.’ On the 2020 Tamil quiz show ‘Kodeeswari,’ he appeared with her daughter Varalaxmi Sarathkumar. He hosted the show ‘Madras Maamis’ in 2020. In 2022, he appeared as a special host on the Tamil version of the reality TV show ‘Bigg Boss’ season 5. In the same year, he appeared as a guest on the Tamil-language live morning talk show ‘Vanakkam Tamizha.’
- Sarath has also worked in many web series. In the 2021 Disney+ Hotstar’s Telugu web series ‘Parampara,’ he was cast to play the role of Nagendra Naidu. He played the role of Robert Vasudevan in the 2022 Tamil web series ‘Irai.’ In the same year, he worked in the second season of the web series ‘Parampara.’
- In the Tamil epic period drama film ‘Ponniyin Selvan: I,’ directed by Mani Ratnam, he portrayed the character of Periya Pazhuvettaraiyar, a minor king who ruled with Paluvur.
- He is a South Indian actor who has worked in more than 130 films for Kannada, Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam film industries.
- ‘Thalaimagan’ (2006) was his 100th film in which he worked as an actor, and he also directed the film.
- He earned the title ‘Super Hero’ after working in the 1992 Tamil film ‘Natchathira Nayagangot.’
- His consistent performance in Tamil films rewarded him with the title of ‘Supreme Star’ in Tamil Cinema.
- After acting in the 2011 Tamil film ‘Muni 2: Kanchana,’ he earned the title of ‘Puratchi Thilagam.’
- He can speak several Indian languages and dialects including Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada. He is also fluent in the Russian language.
- He was the President of the South Indian Film Artists’ Association (SIAA) from 2006 to 2015.
- As a politician, he contested three times in Indian General Election and TN Assembly Election but only managed to win one time in TN Assembly Election in 2006 with the help of an alliance.
- He is the founder of the All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi political party.
- In an interview, while talking about the growth and enhancement of his political party All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi (AISMK), he revealed his desire to be a Chief Minister candidate, he said,
For the last 10 years, I have been closely associated with AIADMK. In fact, I have even been identified as the party’s propaganda secretary. Though I don’t regret this identification, my party couldn’t grow. Now, I want to focus on my party and be seen as a possible Chief Minister candidate.” The Hindu
- He has recorded a few music tracks for his movies and produced a number of films such as Thalaimagan (2006), Jaggubhai (2010), Idhu Enna Maayam (2015), and more.
- He was a sports enthusiast in childhood and was very good at playing Football, Cricket, and other games.