|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet inches- 5’ 4”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||• Appointed as the joint-secretary of the Mahila Congress in 1990.
• Elected to the Lok Sabha in 1991 from Sirsa, Haryana.
• Appointed as the Union Deputy Minister of Education & Culture and of the Ministry of Human Resources Development from July 1992 to September 1995.
• Appointed as the Union Minister of State for the Department of Education & Culture and of the Ministry of Human Resources Development from September 1995 to May 1996.
• Re-elected to the Lok Sabha in 1996 from Sirsa, Haryana.
• She was appointed as the Secretary and the spokesperson of the All India Congress Committee (AICC) from 1996 to 2004.
• Re-Elected to the 14th Lok Sabha in 2004 from Ambala, Haryana.
• Appointed as the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation in 2004.
• In 2007, she was elected as the President of the 21st Governing Council of the UN-Habitat for a 2-year term.
• Re-Elected to the 15th Lok Sabha in 2009 from Ambala, Haryana.
• Appointed as the Union Cabinet Minister for Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Tourism from 31 May 2009 to 18 January 2011.
• She was given the additional charge of the Ministry of Culture from 19 January 2011 to 28 October 2012.
• Appointed as the Union Cabinet Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment on 28 October 2012.
• In April 2014, she was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Haryana.
• Contested the 2019 General Elections from Ambala, Haryana but she lost to BJP's Rattan Lal Kataria.
• Elected as the President of the Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) in September 2019.
|Date of Birth||24 September 1962 (Monday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||57 Years|
|Hometown||Ambala Cantonment, Haryana|
|School||Convent of Jesus and Mary, Delhi|
|College/University||Panjab University, Chandigarh|
|Educational Qualification(s)||• M.A. from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1984
• M.Phil from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1987
|Address||87, Durand Road, Ambala Cantonment, Haryana|
|Hobbies||Reading about Socio-Economic, Environmental, and Habitat-Related Issues, Playing Golf|
|Controversies||• On 11 March 2011, Selja was issued notices from the Punjab & Haryana High Court over a petition accusing her of forgery, criminal intimidation, fabrication, and hatching a criminal conspiracy. In the petition, she was accused of instigating members of the Balmiki community against the Jat leaders in the Mirchpur case. She was also accused of saving herself from litigation by pressurising the undertrials and forcing them to sign blank and non-judicial papers.
• On 6 October 2013, she inaugurated the "Kalka-Sainagar Shirdi Superfast Express." She boarded the train from Kalka to Chandigarh; after inaugurating it, but as the train was crossing the Manakpur village, someone threw a stone through the window, which injured Selja. A day after the attack, she stated that she had never faced such circumstances in her political career of over 20 years, and the people of the Haryana Congress were not only working against her but are also trying to intimidate her.
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Chaudhary Dalbir Singh (Politician)
Mother-Kalawati Bhankhor (Homemaker)
|Car Collection||Honda City (2019 Model)|
|Assets/Properties (as in 2019)||• Cash: 2 lacs INR
• Bank Deposits: 4.79 crores INR
• Jewellery: 21.22 lacs INR
• Agricultural Land: worth 2.74 crores INR in Hisar, Haryana
• Agricultural Land: worth 3.84 crores INR in Sonipat, Haryana
• Non-Agricultural Land: worth 1.41 crores INR in Gurugram, Haryana
• Non-Agricultural Land: worth 1.34 crores INR in Silokhera, Haryana
• Non-Agricultural Land: worth 4.78 lacs INR in Faridabad, Haryana
• Non-Agricultural Land: worth 73.20 lacs INR in Hisar, Haryana
• Non-Agricultural Land: worth 5.12 crores INR in Faridabad, Haryana
• Non-Agricultural Land: worth 10.46 lacs INR in Faridabad, Haryana
• Residential Building: worth 53.72 lacs INR in Hisar, Haryana
• Residential Building: worth 1.54 crores INR in Hisar, Haryana
|Salary (approx.)||1 lac INR + other allowances (as an MP)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||20.05 crores INR (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Selja Kumari
- Selja Kumari is a prominent Indian politician from Haryana. She has served as a Union Minister in the Manmohan Singh Government. Her father was an Indian politician from the Congress party and a 4-time Member of Parliament.
- Selja Kumari was born in Chandigarh but raised in New Delhi.
- She moved to Chandigarh to pursue her college education.
- After her father’s demise in 1987, she decided to join politics.
- In 1990, she finished her college studies and joined the Indian National Congress (INC). She was also appointed as the joint-secretary of the Mahila Congress.
- She is said to be one of the leaders who are very close to Sonia Gandhi. In August 2013, when Sonia Gandhi had to be rushed to the hospital during a parliament session, she only asked Selja to accompany her to the hospital.
- On 4 September 2019, Selja was appointed as the President of the Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC). She was handed this responsibility by Sonia Gandhi just before the 2019 Haryana Assembly elections.
Kumari Selja on being appointed Haryana Congress President: It is a huge responsibility on my shoulders, all of us will have to work together. We are committed to the party's ideology. pic.twitter.com/hZZGVNVzKx
— ANI (@ANI) September 4, 2019
- On 12 October 2019, she expelled 16 people of the Haryana Congress for six years. Later, in a statement, she said-
16 people have been expelled from the Congress for violating provisions of the party constitution and contesting the 2019 Vidhan Sabha elections as rebels.”