|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||12 February 1975 (Wednesday)|
|Date of Death||22 June 2023|
|Place of Death||North Atlantic Ocean|
|Age (at the time of death)||48 Years|
|Death Cause||Catastrophic implosion of the Titan submersible The Independent|
|Nationality||He held dual citizenship, Pakistani and British. The Telegraph|
|Hometown||Surbiton, South West London, England|
|College/University||• Buckingham University, England, UK
• Philadelphia University, US
|Educational Qualification(s)||• LLB from Buckingham University, England, UK (1998)
• M.Sc. in Global Textile Marketing from Philadelphia University, US (2000) World Economic Forum
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Children||Son- Suleman Dawood
Daughter- Alina Dawood
|Parents||Father- Hussain Dawood (Pakistani businessman, investor, educationalist, and philanthropist)
Mother- Kulsum Dawood (Trustee on the Board of The Dawood Foundation (TDF))
|Siblings||Brother- Abdul Samad Dawood (Vice Chair of the Board of Dawood Hercules Corporation)
Sister(s)- Azmeh Dawood, Sabrina Dawood (Pakistani philanthropist, educational activist, CEO of The Dawood Foundation)
|Others||Grandfather- Ahmed Dawood (Pakistani industrialist and a philanthropist)
|Net Worth (approx.)||USD 136.73 million (as of 2023)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shahzada Dawood
- Shahzada Dawood was a British-Pakistani multi-millionaire businessman, investor, and philanthropist. He held the position of vice-chairman of Engro Corporation and serves as the director of Dawood Hercules Corporation. Shahzada was a board member of Prince’s Trust International (Prince Charles’ Charity) and SETI Institute and a trustee of The Dawood Foundation. On 18 June 2023, Shahzada, his son, Suleman, and three others, became the subject of international attention when they went missing in the 2023 Titan submersible incident. All five passengers of the submersible were declared dead after a debris field was found on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean on 22 June 2023.
- He was born into one of the richest families in Pakistan.
- In May 1996, Shahzada joined the board of Dawood Hercules Corporation Ltd, which is a part of the Dawood Group established by his grandfather, Ahmed Dawood. From April 2018 to October 2021, he held the position of Vice Chairman on the board of directors of Dawood Hercules Corporation. At Dawood Hercules Corporation, Shahzada played a key role in identifying growth prospects and fostering innovation by facilitating mergers, acquisitions, and divestments in various sectors such as energy, agri-nutrients, consumer foods, petrochemicals, and textiles for diverse publicly listed companies.
- Shahzada also became the Shareholder Director on the Board of Engro Corporation Limited, a major fertilizer company in Pakistan, in 2003. In October 2021, he started serving as the Vice Chairman of Engro Corporation.
- Demonstrating his commitment to sustainable development, Shahzada spearheaded investments in Reon, a leading company specializing in Solar and Storage Solutions.
- In addition to his roles at Dawood Hercules Corporation and Engro Corporation, Shahzada served as a director in multiple companies, including Engro Foods Ltd, Engro Vopak Terminal Ltd, Engro Eximp Ltd, Patek (Pvt.) Ltd, Engro Polymer & Chemicals Ltd, Sirius (Pvt.) Ltd, Tenaga Generasi Ltd, and Dawood Lawrencepur Ltd.
- His wife, Christine Dawood, hails from Rosenheim, Germany.
- Shahzada Dawood actively engaged in various philanthropic ventures, particularly those related to education, youth empowerment, and scientific research. He is a trustee of The Dawood Foundation, a non-profit organization that was founded by his grandfather, Ahmed Dawood. The foundation’s primary objective is to provide support and encouragement for educational initiatives in the fields of science, technology, and research in Pakistan. It oversees several educational institutions, including Dawood Public School, Dawood College of Engineering, and Karachi School of Business and Leadership, with the aim of fostering academic development in the country.
- Besides the foundation, Shahzada lent support to Prince Charles’ charity, Prince’s Trust International, by serving on its Global Advisory Board.
- He was also a member of the Founder’s Circle of The British Asian Trust.
- In December 2020, Shahzada assumed the role of a member of the Board of Trustees for the SETI Institute, a not-for-profit research organization headquartered in California.
- Dawood had spoken at the World Economic Forum numerous times. In 2012, he was selected as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum.
- He was an animal lover and had an interest in exploring natural habitats and renewable energies. Apart from that, he was fond of photography and posted pictures clicked by him on his Instagram page titled “fishedout.”
- On 18 June 2023, Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman, went missing in the 2023 Titan submersible incident along with Hamish Harding, Paul-Henri Nargeolet, and Stockton Rush. The submersible, operated by OceanGate Expeditions, was on a tourist expedition to view the wreck of the Titanic, the popular British passenger liner which sank in the North Atlantic on 15 April 1912 after colliding with an iceberg. Reportedly, passengers had paid $250,000 for the trip. Communication was lost with Titan one hour and 45 minutes after its dive, and the authorities were notified when it did not resurface at its scheduled time later that day. Thereafter, a rescue operation was launched to retrieve the five passengers of the submersible. It was anticipated that the craft will run out of its four-day supply of breathable air on 22 June 2023. The Guardian The passengers’ demise was confirmed on 22 June 2023 when a debris field, located a few hundred meters away from the Titanic wreckage on the Atlantic Ocean floor, was discovered. OceanGate said that the passengers died in a “catastrophic implosion” and released a statement, which read,
We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost. These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans. Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and the joy they brought to everyone they knew.”