Some Lesser Known Facts About Shivangi Singh
- Shivangi Singh is a fighter pilot in the Indian Air Force who became India’s first Woman Rafale Fighter Pilot after getting through a rigorous selection process in 2020.
- Since her childhood, she was fascinated to become a pilot; in an interview, she stated
I always wanted to fly, as any child would dream of doing. Ever since I learned about the Air Force, I wanted only one thing – to become a fighter pilot. That is the reason I joined the Air Force.”
- During her college days, she joined 7 Uttar Pradesh Air Squadron NCC at Banaras Hindu University which paved her path to join the Indian Air Force.
- In 2016, she cleared the standard aptitude test and became the first female to join the Indian Air Force from the city of Varanasi. In July, she joined Air Force Academy in Dundigal, Telangana and started her journey as a fighter pilot.
- After the selection of Shivangi Singh in the Indian Air Force, in an interview, her mother said,
We always supported her in all her endeavours. She was a brilliant student and excelled in sports. She was a national-level javelin thrower and basket ball player. She also made a mark for herself during her NCC days. We are very proud of her.”
- In 2017, Shivangi got commissioned in the second batch of women fighter pilots of the Indian Air Force. She got posted at Rajasthan Border Base, where she served along with the Group Captain Abhinandan Varthaman.
- Since her commission, she flew MiG-21 Bison till 2020, when she got selected to fly Rafale aircraft and joined 17 Squadron, Golden Arrow, in Ambala after completing conversion training.
- After being deployed as the first woman Rafale fighter pilot, she earned the title “Rafale Rani.”
- Shivangi became the second woman to be part of the Indian Air Force Tableau on the occasion of the 73rd Republic Day; Bhawna Kanth was the first female fighter jet pilot to take part in the Republic Day parade.
- In April 2023, she participated in one of the biggest wargame exercises, Orion, held in France along with other Air Force officers and become the first woman Rafale pilot to take part in it. It was India’s first time to participate in an overseas exercise for the Rafale aircraft.
- In 2023 amid the conflict with China, Shivangi Singh flew the Rafale aircraft over the areas of eastern Ladakh and the Line of Actual Control (LAC). While talking to an ANI reporter, she said,
I have flown in that area & the aircraft performed as expected and we have carried out all the missions that were entitled to us with utmost ease.”
#WATCH | "I have flown in that area & the aircraft performed as expected and we have carried out all the missions that were entitled to us with utmost ease": Flight Lieutenant Shivangi Singh, the first & only female Rafale fighter pilot on her experience of flying the fighter… pic.twitter.com/k9zBP9Pkzm
— ANI (@ANI) May 25, 2023