|Profession||Former TV Host and reporter|
|Known For||Being the wife of the 23rd Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Hair Colour||Medium Golden Blonde|
|Date of Birth||24 April 1975 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|School||Pensionnat du Saint-Nom-de-Marie, Montreal|
|College/University||• Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf, Quebec
• McGill University, Montreal
• Université de Montréal, Quebec
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Studied commerce at McGill University
• B.A. in Communications from the Université de Montreal HuffPost
|Hobbies||Dancing, Practicing Zumba|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||28 May 2005
|Engagement Date||October 2004|
|Husband/Spouse||Justin Trudeau (m. 2005, div. 2023)
• Xavier James
• Hadrien Gregoire
Daughter- Ella-Grace Margaret
|Parents||Father- Jean Grégoire (stockbroker)
Mother- Estelle Blais (Franco-Ontarian nurse)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sophie Grégoire Trudeau
- Sophie Grégoire Trudeau is a Canadian former TV host and reporter, who is the wife of the 23rd Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, from whom she separated in 2023.
- During her childhood, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau lived in the Mount Royal suburb of Montreal and attended school with Michel Trudeau, who was her classmate, childhood friend, and the youngest brother of her future husband, Justin Trudeau.
- Around the age of 17, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau faced bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder, which continued into her early 20s. She eventually revealed the illness to her parents and started a two-year journey of recovery. She attributes her healing to therapy and practising yoga. Erica Diamond Toronto Star
- In the initial days of her career, she worked as a receptionist and assistant at an advertising company. Later, she became an account manager there. However, after working in advertising, public relations, and sales for three years, she followed her passion and decided to attend radio and television school.
- After completing her studies, she began to work at a newsroom, where she used to write ticker news. Later, she landed a job as an entertainment reporter at the Quebec television station LCN.
- She was also hired for the position of co-host on morning shows at CKMF-FM Radio. She also contributed to the program ‘Coup de Pouce’ on Radio-Canada.
- During the mid-2000s, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau worked as a personal shopper for the prestigious department store Holt Renfrew.
- In September 2005, she took on the role of a reporter for CTV’s Canadian entertainment news show, etalk. However, she decided to step down from the position in 2010.
- Sophie Grégoire Trudeau and Justin Trudeau have known each other since childhood as she was a childhood friend and classmate of Justin’s youngest brother, Michel Trudeau. In a 2011 interview, while talking about how Sophie and Justin began to date and married each other, she said,
I’ve known Justin since I was a child. I went to school with his younger brother Michel, who died in the Avalanche. I always thought Justin was handsome though. Nine years ago, I saw him in the newspapers. I had this weird feeling, like I was meant to be with him and didn’t know why. I told my mom, and she laughed and said, “You and every other girl Sophie! You know how many girls think that?” One year later, I co-hosted a charity function, and Justin was coincidentally my co-host. When we met again, I reminded him that I knew his brother, Michel. There was definitely a physical and emotional connection. We flirted. But I sent him an email the next day, and he never replied. Three months later, I bumped into him on the street. He apologized that he never wrote back. “Can I have your number?” he asked. “No, I replied.” I wanted him to work a little! Well, he found my number and called me. We then went for dinner and on our first date, our very first date, he looked into my eyes, and said, “I’ve been waiting for you 31 years. You’re going to be my wife. We’re going to have a family together.” Erica Diamond
- In 2012, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau became a certified yoga instructor.
- Following the 2015 election, Grégoire Trudeau initially favoured using the hyphenated surname ‘Grégoire-Trudeau,’ but in March 2016, she made the choice to use the unhyphenated form instead. Maclean’s
- On 18 January 2016, during a speech to honour Martin Luther King Jr. Day at Ottawa City Hall in Canada, Grégoire Trudeau spontaneously chose to sing a song she had composed called ‘Smile Back at Me.’ According to reports, her performance received a standing ovation from the audience at the conclusion of the song. Many people expressed their concerns that the song might not have been appropriate for a memorial honouring a black civil rights leader and highlighted the lack of representation of black leaders during the event. Vice
- She was featured on the cover of the Fashion magazine in 2017.
- In a 2017 interview, she revealed that she considers herself a spiritual person; however, she does not identify as religious. Broadview
- She is actively involved in charity work and supports several Canadian charities and non-profit organizations.
- She lends her support to Sheena’s Place and BACA, which help individuals dealing with eating disorders and volunteers at La Maison Bleue, a place for pregnant mothers in need.
- Sophie has been part of Dove’s ‘Pay Beauty Forward’ campaign and the Self-Esteem Fund, and she actively backs important causes such as Girls for the Cure, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Canadian Mental Health Association, the Women’s Heart and Stroke Association, and WaterCan.
- She served as an ambassador for the WE Charity, which faced a scandal in 2020. The Globe and Mail National Post
- As the national ambassador for Plan Canada’s ‘Because I Am a Girl’ initiative, she advocates for girls’ rights.
- She serves as the official spokesperson for The Shield of Athena, a group that supports women and children affected by domestic violence.
- In an interview, she expressed her desire to make a music album. She has also studied flute and guitar. HuffPost