Hometown: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Profession: Civil Servant
Age: 56 Years
|Profession||Civil Servant (IAS)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Service||Indian Administrative Services (IAS)|
|Major Appointments||• 1992: Collector and District Magistrate in various districts of Rajasthan
• 2014: Joint Secretary in the Union Ministry of Health
• 2019: Principal Secretary of the Forest and Environment Department in Rajasthan
• 2023: Union Health Secretary
|Date of Birth||14 February 1967 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||56 Years|
|Birthplace||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|School||St.Joseph's College, Nainital|
|Educational Qualifications||• 1981: School education at St.Joseph's College, Nainital
• B. Tech (Hons.) from IIT Kharagpur
|Hobbies||Trekking, Hiking, Mountaineering, and Horse Riding|
|Relationships & More|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sudhansh Pant
- Sudhansh Pant is an Indian Administrative Services officer of the 1991 batch of the Rajasthan cadre. On 31 July 2023, he joined as the Secretary, Department of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- After completing his education at IIT Kharagpur, Sudhansh Pant joined a multinational company in Mumbai and started working as a corporate trainee. Later, he quit the job to prepare for the civil services examination. During his preparation, he was working as a teacher in a school in Nainital. In his first attempt at the UPSC exam, he was allotted revenue services. In his second attempt, he got 45 rank and was allotted the Rajasthan cadre.
- At the beginning of his career as a civil servant, Sudhansh Pant served as Collector and District Magistrate in various districts including Jaisalmer, Jhunjhunu, Bhilwara, and Jaipur. During this period, he held important positions like Chairman and Managing Director of the State Power Transmission Corporation, the State Power Distribution Companies, and the State Renewable Energy Corporation.
- Thereafter, Sudhansh Pant worked as Secretary in the Mines and Petroleum Department in the Government of Rajasthan. He also served as Commissioner of the Jaipur Development Authority and Secretary of the Urban Local Bodies and Housing Department. Additionally, he has extensive experience in the Cooperative Sector and has led several Co-operative Federations.
- In January 2018, Sudhansh Pant was appointed as the Joint Secretary of the Department of Pharmaceuticals. In his role, he managed various aspects including Pharmaceuticals Policy, Planning, Development of the Pharma Industry, Research and Development in the Pharma sector, Pricing, and International Cooperation matters. During his tenure in the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Pant was credited for preparing drafts for several significant bills including those that led to the reduction of medicine and medical device prices in India.
- From September 2014 to December 2019, Sudhansh Pant served at the Centre. During his tenure as Joint Secretary in the Union Ministry of Health, Sudhansh Pant played a key role in preparing the bill for the National Medical Commission to replace the Medical Council of India. Later, this bill was passed by Rajya Sabha. Additionally, Pant was responsible for planning to open 75 medical colleges simultaneously all over the country. Out of these, 15 medical colleges were established in Rajasthan. Besides this, Sudhansh Pant also drafted the National Commission Bill and Allied Health Professionals Bill during this period.
- In December 2019, the Gehlot government appointed Sudhansh Pant as the principal secretary of the Forest and Environment Department in Rajasthan.
- In June 2023, Sudhansh Pant was appointed as the Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Department of Health and Family Welfare and the Union Health Secretary in the bureaucratic reshuffle conducted by the Central government. According to the information mentioned in an order issued by the Personnel Ministry, the reason for this appointment was that he was set to take over as the Secretary in the Department upon the retirement of the Health Secretary, Rajesh Bhushan, on 31 July 2023. Earlier, Sudhansh Pant served as the Secretary of the Ministry of Ports, Shipping, and Waterways.
- Throughout his career, Sudhansh Pant has been honoured with numerous awards from the Government of Rajasthan, the Government of India, and the Election Commission of India for his outstanding achievements in various fields.