|Full name||Namboori Thakur Tilak Varma ESPNcricinfo|
|Profession||Cricketer (All-rounder Batsman)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 70 kg
in pounds- 154 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 40 Inches
- Waist: 32 Inches
- Biceps: 12 Inches
|International Debut||Under-19- 19 January 2020 against Sri Lanka at Mangaung Oval, Bloemfontein, South Africa
ODI- Not Yet Played
Test- Not Yet Played
T20- Not Yet Played
|Jersey Number||#9 (India Under-19)
#9 (IPL, Mumbai Indians)
|Domestic/State Team||• Hyderabad
• Mumbai Indians
|Batting Style||Left-Hand Bat|
|Bowling Style||Right-Arm Off-break|
|Favourite Shot||Cover Drive and Straight Drive|
|Date of Birth||8 November 2002 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||19 Years|
|School||The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet, Hyderabad|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Namboori Nagaraju (electrician)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||He has an elder brother.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tilak Varma
- Tilak Varma is an Indian cricketer who played for India in the 2020 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup.
- Tilak grew up in Hyderabad, Telangana, in a financially weak family.
- Tilak developed a great interest in sports when he was too young.
- When he was 10 years old, Varma enrolled himself in the Legala Sports Academy, Telangana, to get trained in cricket. There, he was mentored by Salam Bayash.
- Tilak revealed in an interview that his father worked very hard to support his cricket training. He further shared that when his father couldn’t afford to provide for his cricket expenses, his coach took care of all his expenses. His coach even ensured that he was provided with everything that he required during training.
- Tilak made his first-class debut, in the 2018-19 Ranji Trophy on 30 December 2018. He played for Hyderabad in the tournament. His debut match was against Andhra. In the tournament, Tilak scored 215 runs in seven matches at a strike rate of 147.26.
View this post on Instagram
- On 28 September 2018, he made his List A debut for Hyderabad in the 2019–20 Vijay Hazare Trophy. During the tournament, he scored 180 runs in 5 games and also took 4 wickets.
- In December 2019, he made it to the U-19 Indian cricket team for the 2020 Under-19 Cricket World Cup. He played 6 games in the competition and managed to score only 86 runs.
- In February 2022, during the 2022 Indian Premier League auction, his bid started at Rs. 20 lakh and he was bought by Mumbai Indians at Rs. 1.9 crore. Although the team lost its first two matches, Tilak’s performance in the game was praised by the audience. In the second match of the league, Tilak scored a 33-ball-61 against Rajasthan Royals at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai.
- Tilak is a middle-order batsman.
- He loves dogs and owns a pet dog named Trigger.
- Varma has a deep faith in Lord Ganesha.
- In March 2022, when Tilak’s parents went to Mumbai to watch their son play cricket for the first time. Talking to a media person, Tilak’s father revealed that he had never seen his son play cricket before this. He said,
We had never been to a venue to watch him play. Even when he was leading Hyderabad in age-group tournaments, we avoided being at the ground. But this time, he requested us and we are here to enjoy his game. Going by his commitment and hard work, I am confident he will make the most of opportunities.”
His mother said,
I am very happy today as we are here to watch his first IPL match. Tilak told us not to worry as he was practising very well and trying his best to contribute to the team.”
- In April 2022, Tilak scored a half-century for Mumbai-Indian, becoming the youngest cricketer to do so. Sportstar
- In an interview, Tilak revealed that he had to wait for even basic things in childhood. He said,
My father never says no to anything. He used to say that it will happen, but due to lack of money, he could not afford many things. I broke my bat once. So he said that he would buy a new one, but could not buy it for a long time. I then continued to play with the same broken bat. With the broken bat I made the highest runs in U-16 cricket. When my coach saw this, he bought me everything I needed. Whatever I am today is due to my coach Salam sir.”
- During the 2022 Indian Premier League auction, Tilak was bought by Mumbai Indians for Rs. 1.9 crore. He earned 8.5 times more than his base price, as his bidding started at Rs. 20 lakh. In an interview, when Varma was asked about his parents’ and coach’s reaction when they heard about his IPL bid, he said,
The day the IPL auction was going on, I was on a video call with my coach. My coach started tearing up when the bids kept going higher. After I was picked up, I called up my parents. They too started crying over the call. My mother was struggling to get words out. Papa was unable to talk at all. I said that I have been selected for Mumbai Indians. I too had no idea what to say! Then I said that I am disconnecting the phone. It was the most emotional moment of my life.”
- During an interview, Tilak revealed that he wanted to purchase a house for his parents with his IPL remuneration. He said,
Growing up, we’ve had a lot of financial difficulties. My father with his meagre salary had to look after my cricket expenses as well as my elder brother’s studies. In the last few years, with some sponsorship and match fees, I could just about take care of my cricketing expenses. We don’t own a house as yet. So with whatever I have earned in this IPL, my only aim is to get a house for my parents. This IPL money gives me the luxury to play freely for the rest of my career.”
- In an interview, Tilak’s father described his (Tilak’s) everyday routine while Varma was an Under-14 player. He said,
There were difficult times, but a lot of people helped us, like his coach Salam Bayash sir. When he was an U-14 player, he used to practise and play matches at Uppal [Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium]. We needed to wake up at 4 am to reach the ground, which is 30km away from our home. I had to drop him and attend to my work and used to pick him up in the evenings. Those five years were hard, but the efforts have paid off.”