|Famous for||Being the youngest sister of Lata Mangeshkar|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Awards, Honours and Achievements||• Best Female Playback Singer for her song "Jai Santoshi Maa" at BFJA Awards 1975
• Lifetime Achievement Award at Mirchi Awards 2020
• Gan Samragni Lata Mangeshkar Award by the cultural department of the Maharashtra government (2020-21)
• President’s Silver Medal for Best Feature Film in Marathi for the film “Jait Re Jait” (as the producer of the film) at the National Film Awards in 1977
• Nominated for the Filmfare Award for the best female playback singer for the song “Mai to Aarti” from the film “Jai Santoshi Maa" (1975)
Note: She has many more awards and accolades to her name.
|Debut||Hindi song "Badi Dhoom Dham Se Meri Bhabi Aayi" from the film "Subah Ka Tara" (1954 romantic-drama)|
|Date of Birth||15 December 1935 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||85 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, Bombay Presidency, British India (now Mumbai)|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Deenanath Mangeshkar (A Marathi theatre actor, a renowned Natya Sangeet musician, and a Hindustani classical vocalist)
Mother- Shevanti Mangeshkar
|Siblings||Brother- Hridaynath Mangeshkar
Sisters- Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, and Meena Khadikar
Some Lesser Known Facts About Usha Mangeshkar
- Usha Mangeshkar is an Indian playback singer and the youngest sister of the legendary Indian playback singer Lata Mangeshkar. Usha has lent her voice to the songs of many languages including Marathi, Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, Nepali, Bhojpuri, Kannada, and Assamese.”
- Usha’s father belonged to Maharashtra, and her mother was a Gujarati. Her father was a Marathi theatre artist and a singer, so the trend of singing continued in the Mangeshkar family. Her mother, Shevanti, was the sister of her father’s first wife, Narmada, who died early.
- Her father died when she was six. After the demise of her parents, Usha and her siblings had to face many problems. To fulfill the family expenses, Lata Mangeshkar, being the eldest sister, started singing to earn their livelihood. Usha is the youngest among four sisters.
- Usha Mangeshkar is also an animal lover.
- While growing up, Usha developed an interest in singing, and she went on to pursue singing as a career just like her elder sisters, Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle.
- She started playback singing in the year 1953. Earlier, she began her singing career with some low budget movies, which later brought her success.
- The song “Mai to Aarti” from the film “Jai Santoshi Maa” (1975) made her a household name in India.
- Usha was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree by Maharashtra’s Education Minister in Pune (2019).
Namaskar. Dr Vishwanath Karad ji ke MIT-ADT University pune ne mujhe aaj Doctor of Philosophy is padvi se sammait kiya jo mujhe Maharashtra ke shiksha evam sanskriutik mantri Shri Vinod tawde ji ke shubh haaton se mili. Main Dr Karad ji aur unki University ki aabhari hun. pic.twitter.com/4LSe7whayq
— Usha Mangeshkar (@ushamangeshkar) February 23, 2019
- She has a keen interest in painting, and she believes that painting and singing are very closely related. According to Usha, she used to draw paintings while listening to music. Having such a keen interest in painting, Usha, in one of her interviews, said that before singing a song, she usually draws an image in her mind about the scene and its situation in the movie, but later, if the scene doesn’t resemble her imagination, then it becomes a disappointment to her. For instance, after listening to the song “Suhana Safar” from the film “Madhumati”(1958), she figured a picture of a sea in her mind and made a sketch out of it. Later, when she saw the song in the movie, it was shot in a jungle, which was different from what she had imagined, so, it was a major disappointment to her.
- Usha Mangeshkar prefers folk music over other music genres. She has been singing for more than 60 years. She has also produced a musical drama “Phoolwanti” for Doordarshan (1992), which was based on a story by Baba Sahib Purandare.
- The song “Mungda” was a popular chartbuster from Raj N Sippy’s suspense thriller “Inkaar,” which released in the year 1977. Usha Mangeshkar lent her melodious voice to Rajesh Roshan‘s composition.
- The song Mungda was recreated for Indra Kumar’s comic caper Total Dhamaal ( 2019), but the original singer Usha Mangeskar and composer Rajesh Roshan were not happy with the remake. Also, the fans were highly disappointed with the remake and even slammed the makers for “ruining” a classic, and they called it a “toilet remix.”
- Moreover, Usha Mangeshkar is completely against the idea of remixing a classic. In an interview Usha Mangeshkar said,
Our songs (the songs sung by the Mangeskar sisters Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle and Usha Mangeshkar) were created after a great deal of thought and they were done with sensitivity and care. To rip them off in this arbitrary manner is not correct.”
- In 2017, after a gap of 27 years, the two sisters Lata and Usha Mangeshkar reunited for a song titled ‘Ek Baar Bidaai De Do Maan’ from ‘Main Khudiram Bose Hun,’ a biopic of a Bengali freedom fighter. The last song that they sang together was ‘Aaya Mausam Dosti ka’ for Sooraj Barjatya’s ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’ (1989).
- During the lockdown period, Lata Mangeshkar, the elder sister of Usha Mangeshkar, was admitted to Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai after she complained of difficulty in breathing and was quarantined with her sister Usha Mangeshkar at home in Mumbai. Both the sisters were staying together during this period along with their younger brother Hridaynath and his family.
- Besides singing the Mangeshkar family also share their grand interests in cricket as well. The Mangeshkar sisters are very fond of cricket and claim to follow the sport as a religion. Usha says,
Our mother was a huge cricket fan, and we would all get together in her room with good food, and tune in to the game.”
- Usha Mangeshkar was felicitated by the Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal at the 7th Mising Youth Festival. It was a five-day festival that started on 5 March 2020 in Jengraimukh, Assam.
Tripping on nostalgia with the soulful songs from iconic movies Chameli Memsaab and Khoj.
— Sarbananda Sonowal (@sarbanandsonwal) March 8, 2020
- Usha’s younger brother Hridaynath claims her to be a gifted painter. He says that she has done all his covers of long-playing records, according to the content of lyrics and music. Usha has also received the President award for painting.
- She proudly looks upon her elder sisters as both of them have inspired her not only in life but in music as well.
- Being a part of the Mangeshkar family, she feels privileged, but she never compares her success or music with anyone. According to Usha, although her elder sisters are accomplished singers, she has carved her own path in the music industry, and she always believes to stay positive in life.