|Full Name||Rahul Sharad Dravid|
|Nickname||The Wall, Jammy, Mr. Dependable|
|Profession(s)||Former Indian Cricketer, Cricket Coach|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 76 kg
in Pounds- 168 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 41 Inches
- Waist: 34 Inches
- Biceps: 13 Inches
|International Debut||Test- 20 June 1996 vs England at Lord's
ODI- 3 April 1996 vs Sri Lanka at Singapore
|International Retirement||Test- 24 January 2012 vs Australia at Adelaide
ODI- 16 September 2011 vs England at Cardiff
|Coach/Mentor||Keki Tarapore, G R Vishwanath|
|Domestic/State Team||Karnataka, Canterbury, Kent, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Rajasthan Royals|
|Nature on field||Cool
|Likes to play against||Australia
|Favourite Shot||Cover Drive|
|Records (main ones)||• His two partnerships in ODI, 318-run partnership with Sourav Ganguly and 331-run partnership with Sachin Tendulkar, is a world record.
• He holds the record for playing greatest number of innings before being dismissed for a duck.
• In test, he scored 5 double centuries and each of them was a higher score than the previous one (200, 217, 222, 233, 270).
• He holds the record for the highest percentage of runs scored in matches won under his captaincy.
• In the year 2000, he was named one of the Wisden Cricketers of the year.
• In August 2011, by delivering the Bradman Oration in Canberra, Dravid became the first non-Australian to do so.
• After Sachin Tendulkar, Dravid is the only Indian cricketer to score 10000 runs both in tests and ODIs.
• By having 210 catches, he holds the record for the most number of catches taken by a player (non-wicket-keeper).
• He is the only batsman to score a century in each test playing nation.
|Career Turning Point||When he scored 277 runs in a three test match series against South Africa and was awarded with Man of the Match.|
|Date of Birth||11 January 1973|
|Age (as of 2021)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|School||St. Joseph's Boys' High School, Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|College||St. Joseph's College of Commerce, Bangalore University, Bangalore, Karnataka, India,
St Joseph’s College of Business Administration, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Educational Qualifications||Degree in Commerce|
|Family||Father- Sharad Dravid
Mother- Pushpa Dravid
Brother- Vijay Dravid
|Hobbies||Playing Hockey, Listening Music, Reading|
|Controversies||• During an ODI with Zimbabwe in January 2004, he was fined half of his match fees for ball-tampering.
• He was criticized for declaring the Indian inning during the Multan Test in March 2004, when Sachin Tendulkar was at the crease with 194 runs with 16 overs remaining.
|Food||Chicken Tikka Masala, Dal and Rice, Mango Milkshake|
|Actor||Tom Cruise, Aamir Khan|
|Actress||Demi Moore, Michelle Pfieffer|
|Girls, Family & More|
|Wife||Vijeta Pendharkar, Surgeon (married 4 May 2003)|
Sons- Samit Dravid (born 2005), Anvay Dravid (born 2009)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rahul Dravid
- Does Rahul Dravid smoke?: No
- Does Rahul Dravid drink alcohol?: No
- He started playing Cricket at the age of 12 and scored a century for his school team.
- Although he lives in Karnataka, he belongs to a Marathi family, and his mother tongue is also Marathi.
- His father worked in a factory that produced jams which gave Rahul his nickname “Jammy”.
- His other moniker “The Wall” came from an advertisement by Reebok that mentioned him as “The Wall”.
- In 2004-2005, Dravid was voted the sexist sports personality in India in an online survey.
- In his childhood, he was obsessed with Hockey and was, in fact, selected in Karnataka’s junior state hockey team.
- In Bangalore, there is a local tournament at the school level named after one of his nicknames, “Jammy Cup” and the Man of the Match gets the title of “Jammy of the Day”.
- He is known for his techniques in batting and is considered the perfect batsman in the world of cricket.
- Although he is considered a test batsman, he holds the record for the second-fastest 50 (in 22 balls) among Indian batsmen in ODI after Ajit Agarkar’s 67 runs of 21 balls.
- His MTV Bakra episode became very popular. In the episode, after being interviewed by a female journalist, the journalist proposes to him; however, Dravid refuses her proposal and tries to leave the room; making the whole scenario very funny.
Well Hardik Pandya incident reminded me of a young Rahul Dravid who was bullied in MTV Bakra and how well he responded to it. You always can set the right example if you have it in you. Must watch! pic.twitter.com/5X4Py9LvR9
— Chandramukhi?Stark (@FlawedSenorita) January 9, 2019
- In 2003, Dravid played for Scotland in eleven games. Times Now After the culmination of the 2003 ICC Cricket World Cup, some senior players in the Indian national cricket team were given rest, and it was during this time that Gwynne Jones, the Chief Executive of the Scottish Cricket Union, approached the Indian team’s then head coach John Wright, requesting him for a marquee overseas player. Although Gwynne Jones wanted the legendary Sachin Tendulkar to join Scotland Saltires, John Wright suggested him Rahul Dravid’s name. Wright said,
The person who is really going to do things for you, on and off the pitch, is Rahul Dravid.”
Dravid accepted the offer, and he ended up playing eleven fifty-over matches for Scotland in which he scored 600 runs at an average of 66.66. In 2007, while speaking about his stint with the Scotland team, Dravid said,
I enjoyed the friendships with players, officials, something I maintain till today. For both me and my wife it was a special three months to get love and warmth of the people of Scotland. I would have loved the game to have been at the Grains, though.”
- In April 2021, in an advertisement for Cred (a credit card bill payment app), Dravid, who is known for his calm and composed attitude, was shown as a person who had anger issues. In the commercial, Dravid battles the Bengaluru traffic snarls, and he rages behind the wheel; the commercial left people wondering:
Rahul Dravid ko gussa bhi aata hai?”
At the end of the commercial, Dravid screams in anger:
Indiranagar ka Gunda hoon main.”
The commercial went viral soon after it was aired on television.
- In June 2021, he became the head coach of the Indian national team for the limited-overs tour to Sri Lanka to be held in July 2021.