Wife: Sangeeta Doraiswami
Age: 54 Years
|Full name||Vikram Kumar Doraiswami Hindustan Times|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Service||Indian Foreign Service (IFS)|
|Major Designation(s)||• Ambassador of India to Uzbekistan (October 2014 – March 2015)
• Ambassador of India to the Republic of Korea (April 2015 – July 2018)
• High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh (October 2020 – September 2022)
• High Commissioner of India to the United Kingdom (assumed charge on 22 September 2022)
|Date of Birth||11 July 1969 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||54 Years|
|College/University||• University of Delhi, India
• New Asia Yale-in-Asia language school of the Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
|Educational Qualification(s)||• MA in history from the University of Delhi, India
• An elective diploma course in Chinese at the New Asia Yale-in-Asia language school of the Chinese University of Hong Kong High Commission of India, London, United Kingdom
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian Korea JoongAng Daily|
|Hobbies||Reading, Watching Sports, Exercise, Travelling, Listening to Jazz|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||Year, 1996|
|Wife/Spouse||Sangeeta Doraiswami (a trained psychologist who works as a primary school teacher)
|Children||He has a son.|
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known (Indian Air Force Officer)
Mother- Name Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vikram Doraiswami
- Vikram Doraiswami is an Indian diplomat of the IFS cadre who was appointed as the High Commissioner of India to the United Kingdom on 22 September 2022. He has served as Ambassador of India to Uzbekistan (2014-2015), Ambassador of India to the Republic of Korea (2015-2018), and High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh (2020-2022).
- He was born into a Tamil military family. He has family roots in Kerala, India. Korea JoongAng Daily. His father was an airforce officer who fought in the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- After attending a residential school in South India, he moved to New Delhi to obtain MA in history.
- Vikram K Doraiswami joined the Indian Foreign Service in 1992.
- Before joining the IFS, he worked as a journalist for a year.
- He underwent training in New Delhi from 1992 to 1993 and subsequently served as the Third Secretary at the High Commission of India in Hong Kong from May 1994. During his time in Hong Kong, he pursued an elective diploma course in Chinese at the New Asia Yale-in-Asia language school of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. After spending almost four years in Hong Kong, he was posted to the Embassy of India in Beijing in September 1996.
- In the year 2000, Vikram Doraiswami returned to the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi, where he assumed the role of Deputy Chief of Protocol (Ceremonials). He also had the opportunity to serve in the Prime Minister’s Office during the tenure of Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and act as Private Secretary to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
- In 2006, he became the Political Counsellor at the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations in New York, and later, in October 2009, he assumed the position of India’s Consul General in Johannesburg, South Africa. He returned to the Ministry of External Affairs in July 2011 to head the Division for the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and also served as the Coordinator for the Fourth Summit meeting of BRICS in New Delhi in March 2012.
- From October 2012 to October 2014, he served as Joint Secretary of the Americas Division of the MEA before being appointed as India’s Ambassador to Uzbekistan in October 2014.
- He served as India’s Ambassador to the Republic of Korea from April 2015 to July 2018.
- After completing his assignment in the Republic of Korea, he returned to Headquarters in July 2018 and took up the position of Head of Division for Bangladesh and Myanmar. In April 2019, he was entrusted with the task of establishing a new Division at the MEA for the Indo-Pacific. His dedication and hard work led to a promotion in December 2019, and he was designated as Additional Secretary responsible for International Organizations and Summits.
- Vikram Doraiswami then served as the High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh from October 2020 to September 18, 2022.
- On September 23, 2022, he assumed the position of High Commissioner of India to the United Kingdom. In a traditional ceremony, he rode a classic horse-drawn carriage to present his credentials to King Charles III at Buckingham Palace. During the ceremony, he presented Letters of Commission, a formal letter from President Droupadi Murmu to the monarch, marking the formal start of his UK posting. It’s worth noting that he is the first Indian envoy to be received at the palace by the King since the death of Britain’s longest-serving monarch, Queen Elizabeth II.
- He is an avid reader and PG Wodehouse is his favourite writer.
- He can speak in English, Hindi, Tamil, Chinese, French, and Korean.