|Real Name||Abhijat Joshi|
|Profession(s)||Screenwriter, Producer, Director, Editor, Professor|
|Famous For||His work as screenwriter for movies Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006), 3 Idiots (2009), and PK (2014), Sanju (2018)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Date of Birth||12 January 1969|
|Age (as in 2018)||49 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Capricon|
|School||Shree Vidyanagar High School, Ahmedabad|
|College/University||Shri H.K.Arts College, (With Bagal thela group) Gujarat University
University of Texas, Austin
|Educational Qualification(s)||B.A. & M.A. in English from Shri H.K. Arts College
Master of Fine Arts from University of Texas, Austin
|Debut||Film (Writer): Kareeb (1998)
Film (Producer): Eklavya: The Royal Guard
|Hobbies||Writing Poems, Reading|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||2007:
National Film Awards: Best Screenplay, Best Story, Best Dialogue for Lage Raho Munna Bhai
Screen Awards: Best Screenplay for 3 Idiots, Best Story & Best Dialogue for Lage Raho Munna Bhai
Bollywood Movie Awards: Best Story, Best Dialogue for Lage Raho Munna Bhai
Global Indian Film Awards: Best Story, Best Dialogue for Lage Raho Munna Bhai
Filmfare Awards: Best Screenplay, Best Dialogue, Best Screenplay for 3 Idiots
Screen Awards: Best Screenplay for 3 Idiots
IIFA Awards: Best Screenplay, Best Dialogue for 3 Idiots
Filmfare Awards: Best Screenplay, Best Dialogue for PK
Screen Awards: Best Dialogue for PK
Star Guild Awards: Best Dialogue for PK
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marriage Date||Not Known|
Daughter- Anushka Joshi
|Parents||Father- Jayant Joshi (Professor, Marathi Social Reformer)
Mother- Neela Joshi
|Siblings||Brother- Saumya Joshi (Gujarati Actor, Director, Writer)
|Favourite Director(s)||Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Rajkumar Hirani, Guru Dutt|
|Favourite Actor||Ranbir Kapoor|
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹3 Crore (as in 2011)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Abhijat Joshi
- Does Abhijat Joshi smoke?: Not Known
- Does Abhijat Joshi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He has a keen interest in writing stories and plays since his childhood and wrote a number of skits and plays in both Gujarati and English.
- He started his career as a professor of English at C.U. Shah Arts College situated in western part of Ahmedabad city, before moving to the US for his higher studies.
- He is also a theatre artist.
- He wrote a drama “A Shaft of Sunlight” based on communal riots (during the 1992 Gujarat riots), which happened to become very popular. When director Vidhu Vinod Chopra saw the play, he approached Abhijat and worked with him in the films- Kareeb (starring Bobby Deol and Shabana Raza) and Mission Kashmir (starring Sanjay Dutt, Hrithik Roshan, Preity Zinta, Sonali Kulkarni, and Jackie Shroff).
- When Rajkumar Hirani was placing a rough draft of “Lage Raho Munna Bhai” in front Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Abhijat asked Hirani if he could work with him and mailed him a short scene, Hirani was really impressed by his idea and that’s how they became co-writers in many more movies.
- In 2015, he worked for Vidhu Vinod Chopra and scripted his Hollywood flick Broken Horses (a remake of the 1989 Hindi film Parinda).
- Since 2003, he has been a professor of English at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio.
- He told in an interview that Virus’ dialogue from movie 3 Idiots ‘Life begins with a murder’ was his father’s one-liner.
- His co-written movie “PK” became India’s first ever highest grosser film; earning 300 Crore.
- In the movie Sanju (2018), Anushka Sharma played the role of a writer which is said to be the real-life role of Rajkumar Hirani’s and Abhijat’s (Co-Writers of Sanju) in Sanjay Dutt’s life. Although she has been presented as a biographer from London, and she comes to India was just to add a bit of fiction.
- Though having been credited for some blockbuster movies, he feels that writers in this industry do not get much recognition and appreciation for their good work and are underpaid.