|Real Name||Vidhu Vinod Chopra|
|Profession||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms- 74 kg
in Pounds- 163 lbs
|Body Measurements||- Chest: 40 Inches
- Waist: 32 Inches
- Biceps: 12 Inches
|Date of Birth||5 September 1952 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||71 Years|
|Birth Place||Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir|
|Hometown||Peshawar, Pakistan (currently resides in Mumbai)|
|College||Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune|
|Educational Qualification||Course in film direction|
|Debut||Directorial: Sazaye Maut (1981)
Production: Khamosh (1985)
|Family||Father- D. N. Chopra
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Ramanand Sagar, Director (half brother)
|Controversies||• Following the release of his movie 3 Idiots, Producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra called for a press conference meet in order to clear the air regarding Chetan Bhagat's copyright infringement allegations. However, Chopra lost his cool while responding to a journalist's questions and asked him to 'shut up.'
• In October 2016, at a film festival in Mumbai, Chopra again lost his cool on a journalist. Although the reporter's question could not be ascertained, Chopra was heard saying, "Don't tell me what to speak about, why the F**K should I speak."
|Favourite Actors||Sanjay Dutt, Aamir Khan, Dilip Kumar|
|Favourite Filmmakers||Steven Spielberg, James Cameron|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Late Renu Saluja, Film Editor (m.1971-1976)
Shabnam Sukhdev (Daughter of a short film- maker)
Anupama Chopra, Journalist (m.1990-present)
|Children||Son- Agni Dev
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vidhu Vinod Chopra
- Does Vidhu Vinod Chopra smoke: Not Known
- Does Vidhu Vinod Chopra drink alcohol: Yes
- During his junior years at the Film and Television Institute of India, Pune, Vidhu used to carry a big knife while roaming inside the campus. In an interview, he revealed that he was highly anti-ragging and would have even killed a senior if they crossed limits.
- Around the same time, he fell in love with one of his batchmates. Young Vidhu, however, did not think much about the consequences of an early marriage and hence tied the knot at the age of 19. Soon, quarrels started inhibiting their relationship and the couple decided to part ways.
- His diploma film titled Murder on Monkey Hill (1976) won the National Film Award for Best Short Experimental Film and the Guru Dutt Memorial Award for Best Student Film. If that was not enough, the film even managed an Oscar nomination!
- People usually refer to him as a producer; however, not many people know that he has written the script for both the Munna Bhai films. His writing skills have paid off well, as for the two installments in the series, he won as many as 3 National Awards.
- His present wife, Anupama Chopra, 49, has authored several books on Indian Cinema. She has also been a film critic for many notable media outlets like NDTV, India Today and Hindustan Times.
- In the year 2015, Vidhu entered the Hollywood film industry with the film, Broken Horses (2012). However, the movie succumbed at the box-office and only managed mixed reviews from the critics.