Age: 70 Years
Wife: Anita Puri
Hometown: Gurdaspur, Punjab
|Profession||Managing Director of HDFC Bank|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• QIMPRO Platinum Standard Awards for National Statesman for Quality in Business in 2019
• "AIMA - JRD TATA Corporate Leadership Award" by the AIMA in 2019
• Barron's Top 30 Global CEOs in 2018
• The only Indian to feature in Fortune's Businessperson of the Year list in 2016
• Barron's World's Top 30 CEOs in 2016
• Barron's World's Top 30 CEOs in 2015
• Best CEO- Finance Asia poll on Asia's Best Companies 2015
• CNN-IBN Indian Businessman of the Year 2008
Note: Apart from awards and achievements mentiontioned, Aditya Puri has received many awards and nominations.
|Date of Birth||1950|
|Age (as in 2020)||70 Years|
|College/University||• Panjab University, Chandigarh
• Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Bachelor of Commerce from Panjab University, Chandigarh
• Chartered Accountancy from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
|Address||HDFC Bank House, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai - 400 013|
|Hobbies||Reading, Gardening, Watching Television|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Anita (Smiley) Puri (entrepreneur)
|Children||Son- Amit Puri
Daughter- Amrita Puri
|Parents||Father: Name not Known (IAF Officer)
Mother: Name not known
|Salary (as MD of HDFC Bank)||Rs. 89 Lakhs (monthly; as of 2019) The Economic Times|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Aditya Puri
- Aditya Puri is the Managing Director of HDFC Bank, India’s largest private sector bank. He is also the longest-serving head of any private bank in India.
- Aditya Puri holds more than four decades of experience in the banking sector, both in India and other countries.
- Aditya Puri started his career as a management trainee with Mahindra Ltd in Mumbai. While working there, he lived as a paying guest and used to pay a rent of Rs. 300 per month. He used to get a half cup of tea in the morning and travelled from his PG to Kandivali for work.
- While working in Mumbai, he realised that he had not come to Mumbai to live a life like that. He asked his cousin (who was working at Citibank in Beirut, Lebanon) to fix his interview at Citibank. He was interviewed and was selected for the job at Citibank.
- He worked with Citibank for 21 years during which he worked in 19 countries.
- In 1992, he became the CEO of Citibank in Malaysia. While in Malaysia, Deepak Parekh, who was running HDFC’s housing company, contacted him and invited him to set up a bank in India. He returned to India as a managing director of the HDFC Bank in 1994. The bank opened with its first office at Sandoz House in Worli and was inaugurated by the then Finance Minister of India, Manmohan Singh.
- During his tenure as the MD of the HDFC Bank, Aditya led two major mergers in the banking industry of India, i.e., the merger of Times Bank, and Centurion Bank of Punjab with the HDFC Bank.
- Puri doesn’t wear a watch, doesn’t carry a mobile phone, and doesn’t uses his mobile phone either.
- His tenure as the MD of the HDFC bank is slated to end on 26 October 2020.
- His wife, Anita and daughter, Amrita have a clothing line called ‘Akuri,’ which includes different styles of Indian ethnic styles, dresses and tops.
References/Sources: [ + ]
|1.||↑||The Economic Times|