|Full Name||Alok Kumar Verma|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 176 cm
in meters- 1.76 m
in feet inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 175 lbs
|Service||Indian Police Service|
|Cadre||Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT)|
|Major Designation(s)||1979: Assistant Commissioner of Police, Delhi
1985: Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police, Delhi
1992: Deputy Commissioner of Police, Delhi
2001: Inspector General of Police, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
2004: Joint Commissioner of Police, Delhi
2007: Special Commissioner of Police, Crime and Railways
2008: Director General of Police, Pondicherry
2012: Special Commissioner of Police, Intelligence, Delhi
2012: Director General of Police, Mizoram
2014: Director General of Police, Tihar Jail
2016: Commissioner of Police, Delhi
2017: Director, Central Bureau of Investigation
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||1997: Police Medal for Meritorious Service
2003: President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service
|Date of Birth||14 July 1957|
|Age (as in 2018)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||New Delhi, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Cancer|
|Hometown||New Delhi, India|
|School||St. Xavier's School, Delhi|
|College/University||St. Stephen's College, Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||M.A. (History)|
|Controversy||On 24 August 2018, Rakesh Asthana, second in command in the CBI, alleged Alok of bribery. Though in October 2018, Rakesh was booked by the agency under the charges of corruption, criminal conspiracy, and criminal misconduct. In January 2019, he was reinstated by the Supreme Court. However, the selection committee asked him to join the residual term of CBI Director as DG Fire Services, Civil Defence & Home Guards. On 30 January 2019, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) told him that, "You are directed to join the post of DG, Fire Services, Civil Defence & Home Guards immediately."|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Shefali Verma (Designer, Artist)
|Parents||Father- J. C. Verma
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||Brother- Not Known
Sister- 1 (Name Not Known)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Alok Verma
- Alok was born in New Delhi and completed his education from Delhi as well.
- When Alok was inducted into the Indian Police Service in 1979, he was just 22-years-old and was also the youngest IPS Officer of the batch.
- From 2011 to 2012, he served as the Special Commissioner of the Delhi Police; especially, in the vigilance wing. He went on to serve as the Delhi Police Commissioner in 2017.
- He also started the system for online police applications to obtain various types of licenses issued by Delhi Police.
- In September 2016, he launched all-women PCR vans comprising of 3 woman personnel in Delhi.
- In December 2016, he nominated 26,000 police officers for promotion. The Union Government accepted his recommendations after he insisted.
- On 1 February 2017, he joined the office as the Director, Central Bureau of Investigation.
- In October 2018, the government ordered his removal from the position of CBI Director. The decision was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, and CBI Joint Director M Nageshwar Rao was appointed as the interim chief of the agency. After the decision from the government, Alok filed a case in the Supreme Court against his removal.
- His wife was the President of Police Families Welfare Society and was an active participant in social welfare activities.