|Full name||Anil Kurien Antony Deccan Herald|
|Profession||Tech Entrepreneur, Politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Political Party||• Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) (April 2023-present)
• Indian National Congress (INC) (2019-April 2023)
|Political Journey||• Joined INC in 2019
• Served as convener of the Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC) Digital Media (January 2019 - January 2023)
• Served as National Co-ordinator of the All Indian Congress Committee (AICC) Social Media and Digital Communications Cell (July 2020 - January 2023)
• Quit Congress on 25 January 2023
• Joined the BJP on 6 April 2023
|Date of Birth||17 December 1985 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||37 Years|
|College/University||• College of Engineering Trivandrum (CET), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
• Stanford University, Stanford, California, US
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Technology in Industrial Engineering at the College of Engineering Trivandrum (CET), Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala (2003 – 2007)
• Master of Science at Stanford University, Stanford, California, US (2007-2009)
|Ethnicity||Anil Antony belongs a Syrian Christian family from Kerala. Pinterest|
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian Anil K Antony – Facebook|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- A. K. Antony (politician)
Mother- Elizabeth Antony (lawyer)
|Siblings||Brother- Ajith Paul Antony (actor) (image in Parents section)
|Cuisine(s)||Mediterranean, Japanese, South Indian|
|Author||Yuval Noah Harari|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anil Antony
- Anil Antony is an Indian tech entrepreneur and politician. A former member of the INC, Anil served as the Convener of the Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee (KPCC) Digital Media and National Co-ordinator of the All Indian Congress Committee (AICC) Social Media and Digital Communications Cell from 2019 to 2023. He is the son of the Indian politician INC member A. K. Antony, who served as the 23rd Defence Minister of India. On 25 January 2023, Anil quit Congress after he slammed the party members for posting a tweet in which he opposed the screening of a BBC documentary on the 2002 Gujarat Riots, India: The Modi Question, that defamed Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- He was fond of playing tennis and basketball in college.
- In 2005, he co-founded the now-defunct company Torque Technology Solutions, a Mobile value-added services provider, in Trivandrum.
- In 2008, he moved to the US, where he joined the multinational company Cisco as a Product Marketing Intern in San Jose, California.
- After working there for three months, he started working as a Marketing Manager at Beceem Communications in June 2009; Beceem Communications was later acquired by Broadcom Inc. From November 2010 to September 2011, he worked as Vice President, Business Development at Alphavista Services Inc. He also works as an advisor to Casper Labs, California.
- Later, he moved back to India and joined Grant Thornton LLP as a Business Consultant in New Delhi.
- In May 2015, he founded Pythia Data Private Limited. Apart from that, he was the director of the now-defunct companies Sqanda Capital Investments Private Limited and Helius Education Private Limited. He became the director of Helius Education in 2011 and Sqanda Capital Investments in 2013. Previously, he was also associated with Swarna Milk Foundation and Transglobal International Private Limited.
- In April 2020, he co-founded a COVID-19 national action group called Parliamentarians with Innovators for India (PII). He was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi National Award in Excellence for COVID-19 warriors in 2021 for this initiative.
- He is also the Vice President and a member of the board of trustees of the non-profit, Navoothan Foundation which works for women empowerment and cancer screening, detection, and awareness.
- Anil was appointed as the Convener of the Kerala chapter of the digital media cell of the Indian National Congress, chaired by Shashi Tharoor before the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. His roles included setting up and managing the state war room of the party for the Parliament elections and managing Wayanad constituency social media handles and digital campaigns for the then Congress President Rahul Gandhi. In 2020, he became the National Co-coordinator of the AICC Social Media and Digital Communications department.
- He was selected as a fellow for the School of Policy and Governance, Net Zero Fellowship program in 2022.
- His opinion columns appear frequently for several national publications including The Hindu, Hindustan Times, Indian Express, The Pioneer, BW BusinessWorld, National Herald, The Week, The Print, Sunday Guardian, Veekshanam, Kerala Kaumudi, Malayala Manorama and Mathrubhumi.
- He has been a part of several international young leaders and multi-track dialogues and programs like the European Union Visitors Program (EUVP2021) (by the European Parliament and European Commission), Australia-India Youth Dialogue 2020 (AIYD2020), Indo-German Young Leaders Forum (IGYLF2019). He was selected as a JENESYS ‘Future Global Leader’ (2017) by the Government of Japan (ministry of foreign affairs and Japan International Cooperation Agency). He has also been a part of multi-track security and foreign policy dialogues in Germany and Israel.
- In 2022, he joined the Advisory Council of the Ernest and Julio Gallo School of Management at the University of California.
- On 24 January 2023, Anil resigned from all party posts of INC citing hatred from party colleagues after he received sharp criticism from his party members for slamming the BBC documentary on Gujarat riots, India: The Modi Question, which was critical of Narendra Modi, the then chief minister of Gujarat. His tweet read,
Despite large differences with BJP, I think those (in India) placing views of BBC, a state sponsored channel with a long history of (alleged India) prejudices, and of Jack Straw, the brain behind the Iraq war, over (Indian) institutions is setting a dangerous precedence, will undermine our sovereignty”
Apparently, Anil Antony took a different stand from the Congress on the BBC documentary saying despite the difference between Congress and BJP, politicians should not let internal differences to be exploited by foreign entities. Consequently, he was slammed by his party members, and he received various threat calls demanding he retracts the tweet, but he refused to do so. The next day, Anil resigned from the Congress party and shared a copy of his resignation letter on Twitter which read,
I have resigned from my roles in @incindia @INCKerala. Intolerant calls to retract a tweet, by those fighting for free speech. I refused. @facebook wall of hate/abuses by ones supporting a trek to promote love! Hypocrisy thy name is! Life goes on. Redacted resignation letter below.”
I have resigned from my roles in @incindia @INCKerala.Intolerant calls to retract a tweet,by those fighting for free speech.I refused. @facebook wall of hate/abuses by ones supporting a trek to promote love! Hypocrisy thy name is! Life goes on. Redacted resignation letter below. pic.twitter.com/0i8QpNIoXW
— Anil K Antony (@anilkantony) January 25, 2023
- Anil is a fitness enthusiast, and he regularly practices yoga and works out at the gym.