|Full name||Poonam Azad Jha Hindustan Times|
|Profession (s)||• Politician
• Social Worker
|Famous for||Being an Indian National Congress candidate since 2017|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 172 cm
in meters- 1.72 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||• Poonam had contested against the then Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit of the Gole Market Assembly constituency in the 2003 assembly polls. Poonam became the BJP MP and served the party for 25 years till 2016. She was the spokesperson of the Delhi BJP.
• In November 2016, she left BJP and joined AAP saying that the party had sidelined her for a long time.
• After five months, in 2017, she joined the Indian National Congress.
|Date of Birth||1968 (Year)|
|Age (as of 2021)||54 Years|
|School||Patna Womens College, Bihar (1985)|
|Educational Qualification||12th My Neta|
|Controversy||In 2016, Poonam blamed her ex-colleague and Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley for cutting her chance of getting the party ticket. In a media conference, she said,
"I left the BJP because of Arun Jaitley. He has harassed us a lot. I was denied a party ticket because of him." ANI
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Kirti Azad (Former Indian cricketer and Politician)
• Somya Vardhan
• Surya Vardhan
• Cash: Rs 1,92,675
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs 85,50,483
• Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Rs 87,16,950
• LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs 38,00,000
• Personal loans/advance given: Rs 5,00,000
• Motor Vehicles: Rs 33,60,000
• Jewellery: Rs 42,52,500
• Other assets, such as values of claims / interests: Rs 3,40,000
Gross Total Value: Rs 2,97,12,808 My Neta
• Agricultural Land: Rs 41,12,500
• Commercial Buildings: Rs 5,00,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs 1,04,00,000
Total Immovable Assets: Rs 6,45,12,500 My Neta
• Loans from Banks / FIs: Rs 16,09,086
• Loans due to Individual / Entity: Rs 5,00,000
• Any other Liability: Rs 46,47,100
Total Liabilities: Rs 67,56,386 My Neta
|Net Worth (as of 2020)||Rs. 87,468,922 My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Poonam Azad
- Poonam Azad is an Indian politician and the wife of former Indian cricketer and politician Kirti Azad.
- In 2003, Kirti alleged that the BJP candidates were attacked by the Congress activists when she visited the polling booth near Bangla Sahib Gurdwara to inspect the polling. When she tried to stop them, she was also attacked by the workers.
- In 2015, her husband was suspended from the BJP, and he was alleged of breaching the party discipline. He had targeted finance minister Arun Jaitley on the Delhi District Cricket Association (DDCA) issue.
- In 2016, when Poonam left BJP and joined AAP, she was welcomed by Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia. In the press conference, she talked about why she left the party and said,
I see a future, especially for the youth, in AAP. The reason why I quit BJP is because we were mistreated by Arun Jaitley. He did not give us poll tickets despite promising many times. Also, my husband, Kirti Azad, was suspended when he raised his voice against corruption. BJP is maintaining a dual stand.”
- In 2017, when she left AAP and joined Congress, Delhi Congress president Ajay Maken welcomed her. In a press conference, she gave the reason for leaving the party, she said,
I have returned to the party that fought for India’s independence. I did not have any personal problems in the AAP. But, there was a lack of organisation. I did not suit their politics. I want to work with the Congress and strengthen it.”
- Her father-in-law, Bhagwat Jha Azad, was the Congress’ Chief Minister in Bihar in the 90s.
- In November 2021, Poonam and her husband Kirti joined the All India Trinamool Congress and met Supremo Mamata Banerjee.
- Poonam`s husband is a former Indian cricketer who had a huge contribution to the 1983 World Cup that was held in Lords, England, and was won by India. Her husband was a right-hand batsman and an offspinner. He was a part of the playing squad along with Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar, and Sandeep Patil.
- In 2021, a Bollywood film titled ’83’ was released. The film was based on the journey of the Indian team in the 1983 World Cup. The role of Kirti Azad was played by Dinker Sharma. The film also stars Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone, Hardy Sandhu, and Saqib Saleem.