Education: Masters In Journalism
Husband: Vidhu Vinod Chopra
Age: 52 Years
|Profession(s)||Author, Journalist, Film Critic|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 161 cm
in meters- 1.61 m
in feet inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 50 kg
in pounds- 110 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Date of Birth||23 February 1967|
|Age (as in 2019)||52 Years|
|Birth Place||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|College||St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelors Degree in English literature
• Masters in Journalism
|Family||Father- Navin Chandra (Worked as Executive with Union Carbide)
Mother- Kamna Chandra (Scriptwriter)
Brother- Vikram Chandra (American-Indian writer)
Sister- Tanuja Chandra (Director, Writer)
|Address||B-30, Kalpana Apts., Sheley Ranjan Road, Bandra, Mumbai|
|Favourite Actors||Shah Rukh Khan|
|Favourite Films||Bollywood- Sholay, Anand, Guide, Pyaasa, Lagaan
Hollywood- Pulp Fiction, Breathless
|Favourite Filmmakers||Ang Lee, Rajkumar Hirani|
|Favourite Film Critics||Pauline Kael, Anthony Lane to Anthony Oliver Scott, Manohla Dargis|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Boyfriends||Vidhu Vinod Chopra|
|Husband/Spouse||Vidhu Vinod Chopra (m.1990-present)
|Children||Son- Agni Dev Chopra (Cricketer)
Daughters- Zuni Chopra (Writer), Ishaa Chopra (Step-daughter)
|Net Worth||INR 30 million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anupama Chopra
- Does Anupama Chopra smoke?: No
- Does Anupama Chopra drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Despite being born in an era where middle-class people didn’t really watch Hindi films in theatres, she was interested in films and later became a film critic.
- She was a gold medallist in English Literature from the University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
- She started her journalism career with ‘Harper’s Bazaar’ in New York for a little while, after which she returned to India as she wanted to write about Hindi films.
- On return to India, she started her career as a journalist in the early 1990s when she joined ‘Sunday Magazine’. She came into limelight with her detailed story on the Mafia-culture in Bollywood.
- Her rise in journalism came up after the 1993 Mumbai serial blast when she wrote a long write-up and took interview of the people in the Mafia.
- In 2000, she wrote her first book ‘Sholay: The Making of a Classic’ on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the film ‘Sholay’ (1975), for which she won the National Film Award for Best Book on Cinema.
- It took her around 5 months to convince Shah Rukh Khan to write a book on him. And in 2007, she wrote ‘King of Bollywood: Shah Rukh Khan and the Seductive World of Indian Cinema’, which was featured on the annual “Editor’s Choice” list of the New York Times Book Review.
- Her favourite celebrity interview was for Kangana Ranaut on the talk show ‘The Front Row’.
- In 2014, she replaced Shyam Benegal to become the chairperson of the Mumbai Film Festival.
- The same year, she co-founded, ‘Film Companion’, a YouTube platform to provide film reviews and interviews.
- She is the 3rd wife of popular filmmaker Vidhu Vinod Chopra.
- She is a gluten-free vegetarian.