|Full Name||Arif ur Rehman Alvi|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet inches- 5’ 11”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 170 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI)
|Political Journey||1979: Contested for a seat from the Provincial Assembly of Sindh but lost
1988: Quit the political Party, JI
1996: Joined Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI)
1997: Became the President of PTI Sindh Chapter
1997: Lost elections to Saleem Zia in the Pakistani General Election for the Provincial Assembly of Sindh as a candidate of PTI from the Constituency PS-89 (Karachi South-V)
2001: Elected as the Vice President of PTI
2002: Lost again in the Pakistani General Election for the Provincial Assembly of Sindh from the Constituency PS-90 (Karachi-II)
2006-2013: Served as the Secretary General of PTI
2013: Elected to the National Assembly of Pakistan as a candidate of PTI from the Constituency NA-250 (Karachi-XII) in Pakistan General Election
2016: Elected the President of PTI Sindh Chapter
2018: Re-elected to the National Assembly of Pakistan as a candidate of PTI from the Constituency NA-247 (Karachi South-II) in Pakistani General Election
2018: Elected the 13th President of Pakistan in Pakistani presidential election
|Date of Birth||29 July 1949|
|Age (as in 2018)||69 Years|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Leo|
|College/University||• De'Montmorency College of Dentistry, Lahore
• The University of Michigan, US
• The University of the Pacific, California, US
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Dental Surgery from the De'Montmorency College of Dentistry, Lahore
• Masters in Prosthodontics from the University of Michigan, US
• Masters in Orthodontics from the University of the Pacific, California, US
|Hobbies||Playing Squash, Cricket & Hockey, Writing|
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- 1 (Name Not Known)
Daughter(s)- Naima Alvi Bawany, Marhama Alvi Shah, Radhia Alvi Sumar
|Parents||Father- Habib-ur-Rehman Elahi Alvi (Jawaharlal Nehru's Dentist)
Mother- Name Not Known
Sister- 1 (Name Not Known)
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹2 Crore|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Arif Alvi
- Does Arif Alvi smoke?: No
- Does Arif Alvi drink alcohol?: Not Known
- As per some sources, he was born on 29 August 1949, and as per other sources, he was born in 1947, whereas, his date of birth on documents is 29 July 1949.
- After the partition of India, his father moved to Pakistan with his family and opened his clinic in Saddar Town. Before the partition, his father was the dentist of the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. Later, Arif’s father became politically associated with Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan.
- He completed his early education from Karachi and shifted to Lahore for his higher studies.
- Upon his return from the US, Alvi started practising dentistry, and later, setup Alvi Dental Hospital in Pakistan.
- He entered politics as a polling agent and became a member of a religious party.
- Arif was an active member of the student union during his college days at De’Montmorency College of Dentistry and became a part of the student wing of Jamaat-e-Islam Pakistan, Islami Jamiat Talaba and also became its President.
- In 1969, during the protests against Ayub Khan regime, he was shot twice at The Mall, Lahore, for being Ayub’s critic.
- After Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (9th Prime Minister and the 4th President of Pakistan) had announced the Pakistani General Election in 1977, Arif became politically active.
- In 1979, from a constituency in Karachi, he ran as a candidate of the JI for a seat of the Provincial Assembly of Sindh but was unsuccessful.
- In 1988, Arif quit the politics after leaving JI. To which Arif stated that “always felt honest leadership is the real solution to Pakistan’s problems” after claiming that the party had a narrow focus.
- In 1996, he joined Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and also became its one of the founding members, after getting inspired by Imran Khan. He rendered his help in carving the constitution of PTI.
- He became a Diplomat of the American Board of Orthodontics in 1997.
- He became the President of the Pakistan Dental Association after preparing its constitution.
- Arif was elected as the Chairman of the first Pakistan International Dental Conference. He was also elected as the Chairman of the 28th Asia Pacific Dental Congress.
- He has also served as the Dean of the Faculty of Orthodontics of the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Pakistan.
- Arif was the President of Asia Pacific Dental Federation in 2006.
- In 2007, he became a member of the council of the FDI World Dental Federation.
- In the 2013 Pakistan General Election, he was the only PTI member to win a seat in the National Assembly.
- PTI nominated Arif as its candidate for the office of President of Pakistan on 18 August 2018, and he became the President of Pakistan on 4 September 2018; after securing 353 votes and defeating Aitzaz Ahsan and Fazal-ur-Rehman who secured 124 and 185 votes, respectively.
- Apart from Politics, he is considered as one of the leading dentists of Karachi.
- He has 4 children with wife Samina Alvi and loves spending time with his grandchildren at home.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)