Wife: Reema Ganguly
Father: Kishore Kumar
Age: 69 Years
|Full Name||Amit Kumar Ganguly|
|Profession(s)||Actor, Playback Singer, Film Director, Musician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Date of Birth||3 July 1952|
|Age (as of 2021)||69 Years|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Address||Gouri Kunj, Kishore Kumar Ganguly Marg, Juhu, Mumbai - 400049
|School(s)||• Besant Montessori School, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
• St. Xavier’s School, Hazaribagh, Jharkhand, India
• South Point School, Kolkata, India
• Patha Bhavan, Kolkata, India
|Debut||Film (Child Artist): Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein in 1964
Singer: 'Main Ek Panchhi Matwala Re' from ‘Door Ka Rahi'
Actor: ‘Door Ka Rahi' in 1971
|Controversy||In May 2021, he was invited as a special guest to the Kishore Kumar special episode of Indian Idol 12. Later, he revealed that he was pressured to praise the cotestants without considering their merits. The Indian Express In an interview, he said that he wanted to stop the show midway. He said, "I did what I was told. I was told sabko praise kamana hai. I was told jo jaisa bhi gaaye usko uplift karna hai because it’s a tribute to Kishore da. I thought it will be a homage to my father. But once there, I just followed what I was asked to do. I had told them to give me portions of the script in advance, but nothing of that sort happened."|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Filmfare Award for Best Playback Singer for the Song "Yaad Aa Rahi Hai" from the Movie "Love Story" in 1981
• “50 Years of Contribution to Indian Music" Award by the House of Commons in 2016
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Reema Ganguly (Music Artist)
Daughter(s)- Muktika, Brinda
|Parents||Father- Kishore Kumar (Actor, Singer)
Mother- Ruma Guha Thakurta (Actress)
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Sumit Kumar (Film Producer) (Stepbrother from stepmother Leena Chandavarkar)
Ayan Guha Thakurta (Stepbrother from stepfather Arup Guhathakurta)
Sister- Shramana Guha Thakurta (Singer) (Stepsister from stepfather Arup Guhathakurta)
|Musician||R. D. Burman|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Amit Kumar
- He has an interest in singing since his childhood, and he used to sing at the local Durga Pooja occasions in Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- At the age of 11, Kishore Kumar introduced Amit Kumar to the acting world in his film “Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein;” which was released in 1964. The popular song ‘Aa Chalke Tujhe’ from the movie was filmed on Amit Kumar.
- He came into notice in 1970; when he was singing at a Durga Pooja function arranged by Uttam Kumar (a Bengali Actor). When his mother came to know this, she got angry and called up his father immediately. She discussed everything with Kishore Kumar, after hearing this, Kishore Kumar got excited and decided to bring Amit Kumar with him to Bombay.
- Amit Kumar moved to Mumbai at the age of 18, and this was the turning point of his life. He did a show “Daddy Kishore and Sunny Amit Together” under his father’s guidance.
- In 1971, he made his singing debut with his father’s film ‘Door Ka Rahi’. He sang a song ‘Main Ek Panchhi Matwala Re’ for the movie. The song was eliminated later; as it was not found suitable according to the situation.
- At the age of 21, in 1973, he got his first opportunity from Sapan Jagmohan (a music artist) to sing a song ‘Hosh Mein Hum Kahan’ for the film ‘Darwaza’ outside his father’s production; which was released 5 years later in 1978.
- Then, Salil Chowdhury gave him a chance in ‘Zindagi Ek Zua;’ which got shelved. After that, Madan Mohan tried him with Asha Bhosle in ‘Chalbaaz;’ which also got shelved. He has also lent his voice for the movies including Jaan Hazir Hai and Aandhi. However, these two projects also didn’t turn up in his favour.
- In 1976, he sang “Bade Achchhe Lagte Hain” composed by R D Burman and got numerous accolades and acknowledgment. The song was announced as the 26th most listened to songs of 1977 by “Binaca Geetmala” (a radio show).
- Later, he sang duets with Lata Mangeshkar such as ‘Uthe Sabke Kadam’ and ‘Dekh Mausam Keh Raha Hai.’ All these songs helped him in getting national fame.
- In the 70’s, he was surrounded by highly famous singers including Mukesh, Kishore Kumar, Mohammed Rafi, and Manna Dey. He successfully built his own identity among them by giving LP record hits like “Aji Suniye Jara Rukiye,” R. D. Burman’s “Aati Rahengi Baharen,” Rajesh Roshan’s “Uthe Sabke Kadam,” and more.
- In 1973, he made his Bengali song debut with “Jinisher Daam Berechhe;” which was composed by Kishore Kumar. This success was followed by back-to-back hit Bengali songs such as “Aaj Shob Kichhu Bhule Gechhi,” “Ek Din Chole Jabo,” “Harano Din Gulo Mone Pore Ekhono,” and so on.
- He made his last appearance as an actor in his father’s incomplete movie “Mamta Ki Chhaon Mein.” After the death of his father in 1987, Amit Kumar took over as the director of the film and completed the movie, which was released in 1989.
- Amit Kumar was considered as an active playback singer from 1970 to 1994. He recorded almost 170 Hindi songs under the composition of R. D. Burman. In 1994, after R. D. Burman’s death, he took a break from playback singing and started concentrating on live orchestra events. After that, he started doing shows all around the world.
- In 1999, he came back to his singing career and gave several hits from the movies like “Dillagi (1999),” “Raju Chacha (2000),” “Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2001),” and more.
- In 2005, once again, he started glittering with his massive hits like “Chore Ki Baaten” from the film “Fight Club;” followed by “Dil Mein Baji Guitar” from the film “Apna Sapna Money Money.”
- In 2008, he appeared as a judge on “K for Kishore,” a singing competition reality show; which was aired on Sony Entertainment Channel.
- In 2010, he judged another TV reality show “Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Mr/Miss Universe 2010.”
- In 2013, he sang ‘Naino Me Sapna’ from the remake of Sajid Khan‘s movie Himmatwala. The original film was made by his father Kishore Kumar in 1983.
- In 2016, he sang two songs ‘Rehti Thi Main Bezarsi’ and ‘Hey Club Dancer’ for the movie ‘Club Dancer.’
- Throughout his singing career, he has sung for several film stars including Rajesh Khanna, Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Randhir Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt, Vinod Khanna, Govinda, Sunny Deol, Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, and others.
- Apart from Hindi songs, he has also lent his voice in Bhojpuri, Bangla, Marathi, Oriya, Konkani, and Assamese.
- He has done various stage shows worldwide with his younger brother Sumit Kumar.
- On the 86th birth anniversary of late legendary actor and singer Kishore Kumar, Amit Kumar released a song ‘Baba Mere’ in his memory. The song also featured his daughter- Muktika Ganguly. This video was a tribute to Kishore Kumar.